The Beat The Orangemen of Syracuse in the Bahamas Thread

rammed

Elite Member
All of the other teams we have played used different matchup zones. Syracuse plays a straight up 2-3 zone. It’s a much more passive zone and their players aren’t as athletic as those that Chattanooga and Wagner had out there.

All zones aren’t built the same and they have to be attacked in different ways. Syracuse’s zone was the worst one we’ve played this year, particularly when their one and only true big man was out.

You are getting far too technical for this person’s comprehension abilities.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
You are getting far too technical for this person’s comprehension abilities.
My post is also kind of a caution for others that are getting excited (which is understandable because they should after a big win). We’ve played 10 halves of basketball, mostly against zone in all of them, and we’ve had 1 maybe 1.5 good halves offensively. The one that’s freshest in our minds is the best half we’ve played so far, but it was also against a different type of zone than we’ve seen and it’s different from what we will mostly see going forward.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with Syracuse last night. They’re slow. They aren’t athletic. They only have one legitimate big man and he’s not that intimidating defensively. Their zone was very passive. Old school Syracuse defenses are long, athletic, and get into passing lanes all over the place. And they usually have a couple good rim protectors. I’ll be surprised if they have a winning record in the ACC… and the ACC isn’t super strong this year.

The game was just what the doctor ordered for both the team, and many individuals. Awesome result and job by both the players and coaches!

Agreed that that Cuse’s zone is not what it was when they have had their good teams…and when cracked, it’s in some ways easier to attack than other zones. Still, the positive experience will go a long way to helping us be better against zones.

Today, for the first time, we will likely be faced with a good amount of man to man. It will be interesting to see, as it will pose different challenges to our guys and offense. Excited to see!

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider

Elite 8 run??

giphy.gif

Love2Ram

Elite Member
Insider
I wish more of you could have been here in person last night. It had the feel of a ncaa tourney game and given the overwhelming Syracuse turnout our base held its own taking the place over towards the end. Curry has taken a lot of heat over the years but I'd give anything if all of our guys played as hard as he does when he's on the floor. His ceiling may not be as high as others but he makes darn sure he hits it every second he's been granted since he arrived. I was also thoroughly impressed with Brown-Jones last night. I love his effort and attitude. If he can avoid foul trouble he'll contribute more. I felt it was his best game so far. Obviously Stockard showed up big but the real takeaway was the overall group played as a unit in every aspect to secure the win. I would've given anything to be able to view all those frowns hidden behind the orange masks during the exodus.

Last edited:

RamDanFan

Elite Member
My post is also kind of a caution for others that are getting excited (which is understandable because they should after a big win). We’ve played 10 halves of basketball, mostly against zone in all of them, and we’ve had 1 maybe 1.5 good halves offensively. The one that’s freshest in our minds is the best half we’ve played so far, but it was also against a different type of zone than we’ve seen and it’s different from what we will mostly see going forward.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with Syracuse last night. They’re slow. They aren’t athletic. They only have one legitimate big man and he’s not that intimidating defensively. Their zone was very passive. Old school Syracuse defenses are long, athletic, and get into passing lanes all over the place. And they usually have a couple good rim protectors. I’ll be surprised if they have a winning record in the ACC… and the ACC isn’t super strong this year.

But will they win games against ACC teams selected to make the NCAA tournament? And if so, how many?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
But will they win games against ACC teams selected to make the NCAA tournament? And if so, how many?
I have no idea who those teams will be in the ACC this year. I haven’t been watching many ACC games this year, but the conference is definitely down based on results to date. But that Syracuse team isn’t very good.

Newboy

Elite Member
I have no idea who those teams will be in the ACC this year. I haven’t been watching many ACC games this year, but the conference is definitely down based on results to date. But that Syracuse team isn’t very good.
Syracuse will figure it out in late February. Make the tourney, and mess with everybody because of their zone. Seems like it happens every year.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
My take from last night's game.

Tsohonis finally showed up last night. He was one of the keys to the game. He was 3-4 from 3 pt., 12 points total and 0 turnovers. VCU needs him to show up like that most games.​
Stockard had his best game of the season. He needs to continue to take that shot in the paint vs. passing it back out.​

Not sure what's going on with Hason Ward, but 6 points and 4 rebounds isn't cutting it. He's starting to remind me of Juvonte Reddic's senior year. Lots of hype/potential, but just isn't delivering. I'm not seeing a whole lot of energy out of Ward right now, which concerns me. He has gone from just under 30.67 mpg the first 3 games to 23.5 mpg in VCU's last two games, and he hasn't even been close to any foul trouble. His rebounding has also dropped significantly the last two games.​
Still a total head scratcher regarding Jimmy Nichols. Once again, he only plays 3 minutes. In those three minutes, he had 3 points and 2 rebounds. Can't figure out why Coach Rhoades has him on a 3 minute leash.​
Right now, Syracuse is not a very good team. The next two games will tell us more about this VCU team. VCU gets Baylor today and then either UConn or Michigan State tomorrow. Definitely a step up in weight class from Syracuse the next two days.​

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Syracuse will figure it out in late February. Make the tourney, and mess with everybody because of their zone. Seems like it happens every year.
I just don’t see the talent on their team. They have a few good shooters, but their defense will get abused by teams with good big men. Our bigs actually missed a lot of opportunities last night or it could have been much worse for them.