The Beat The Wagner College Sea Hawks Thread

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
My question for the coaching stability crowd is, what is the bar of expectations for MR? At what point is chasing stability actually harmful for the program?

Let's say we only win 5 games this year? Or we don't make the tourney next year?

I know we're only two games into the season and a lot can change very quickly in college basketball. We have been hampered by injuries and players leaving. So if we are really bad this year and we don't make the tourney next year, that would mean in 6 seasons, MR has managed to get us a #8 and #10 seed with the results being a blowout to a lesser seed and the only DQ in NCAA history.(albeit not really his fault)

If this year goes as bad as we think rn, is next year not a make or break year for MR???
I don’t have a ton of issues with hypothetical question, but 5 wins??? C’mon man. I know it’s been ugly, but 4-25 the rest of the way????

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Normally I'd agree about curry but in the last 2 games, he's been the only guy willing to try and make something happen when nothing is working. The ball kept getting passed around the perimeter until a few seconds were left and curry had to shoot it or drive. Until someone steps up curry is the best option and I never thought I'd say that.
I don’t love Curry’s game, but I agree that he’s played his a$$ off both nights. He hasn’t been afraid to attempt to make a play. The bigger issue is that he shouldn’t be the *the guy* on any team.

I’m hoping Vince says “fudge it” like Melvin did his senior season when he decided it was his fudgeing team. Maybe Vince can do that or maybe just maybe Vince is a good player, but not a great player.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Chemistry is missing! To some extent all the parts are there, but not working together.
Chemistry was missing on the 19-20 team, from the November Florida tournament on…

I would more so call this lack of experience and the only way to get better is by playing.

Reactions: SWV

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
I don’t love Curry’s game, but I agree that he’s played his a$$ off both nights. He hasn’t been afraid to attempt to make a play. The bigger issue is that he shouldn’t be the *the guy* on any team.

I’m hoping Vince says “fudge it” like Melvin did his senior season when he decided it was his fudgeing team. Maybe Vince can do that or maybe just maybe Vince is a good player, but not a great player.
Vince could take it inside and draw fouls every time he touched the ball. He used to do it when he was a freshman.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Vince could take it inside and draw fouls every time he touched the ball. He used to do it when he was a freshman.
It’s weird because he’s still taking charges, so it’s not like he’s completely off his game. He seemed like he was pressing last night with some of those 3 point attempts in the second half.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
Alpha dog will be back in January. Hopefully he can add a scoring punch

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
I don’t have a ton of issues with hypothetical question, but 5 wins??? C’mon man. I know it’s been ugly, but 4-25 the rest of the way????
That's my point man. If we turned in a season that bad, would there still be no concern, would the stability crowd still stick with the stay the course philosophy??

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Vince is a very talented player but he is not an alpha dog.
I love Vince but maybe he’s just a really good player. I loved BA Walker, though I don’t think he was an alpha. He had a senior alpha Dominic Jones when he was a freshman and a sophomore alpha Eric Maynor when he was a senior.

VRam

Elite Member

2 points combined in the second half for Ward, Vince, Nunn and Tsohonis. Curry is not the problem. He's the only one who doesn't have the "deer in the headlights" look.

VRam

Elite Member
He had a wide open baseline drive during the second half last night and the hesitation was mind-boggling. He ended up missing a wide open bank shot. He also didn't seem that engaged on the sideline during timeouts. I believe the last air-ball three may have been the end of his night. So far he's shooting 25% from the field and is 2 of 8 from three, so I hope he starts drawing fouls every time he touches the ball.

Ramdog

Elite Member
He had a wide open baseline drive during the second half last night and the hesitation was mind-boggling. He ended up missing a wide open bank shot. He also didn't seem that engaged on the sideline during timeouts. I believe the last air-ball three may have been the end of his night. So far he's shooting 25% from the field and is 2 of 8 from three, so I hope he starts drawing fouls every time he touches the ball.
His body language is not good