The Briley Brothers

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
In today's RTD is a story about the Briley Brothers reign of terror over the Richmond community. It is a story as horrific as it it is fascinating. Sad and true. The police were able to attribute 11 murders to the gang, but feel they may have killed as many as 20. I can still remember how scared and terrorized Richmonders were before the Brileys were apprehended.

I can remember two other times when Richmonders were terrorized as well. Once when Timothy Spencer, aka The Southside Strangler was on the loose and once again when the DC sniper(s) was waging war upon the innocent.

As terrible as the Briley Brothers were their story and the story of their apprehension makes for a fascinating read.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/rampage-the-briley-brothers-terrorized-richmond-area/article_b86344f8-a0f4-521a-bf35-cadafdad143f.html#facebook-comments

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
The house that they grew up in is for sale. $29,500.00 and it is yours.

PS-I was at VCU and I worked part time at channel 12. I was helping the night of Linwood's execution. I still remember a sign that said....What is the best wood to burn? LinWOOD!!!

Reactions: VRam and ViCtorioUs

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I wasnt sure if I should've opened up this thread. Bad memories.
Read the article Bang. Once you start you won't be able to put it down. Amazingly enough there is a lot more to the Briley Brothers, the investigation, the arrest and the subsequent trial and punishment that the authors chose not to include. It has the makings of an excellent book. This is the stuff of legend, albeit notorious.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Wow. I've read about these guys before, but this was interesting.

As someone who has studied serial killers, there is so much to this case that is atypical of how these types of killers operate. Not to mention they simply didn't fit the profile. Very fascinating stuff.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Wow. I've read about these guys before, but this was interesting.

As someone who has studied serial killers, there is so much to this case that is atypical of how these types of killers operate. Not to mention they simply didn't fit the profile. Very fascinating stuff.
Perhaps you could write that book.

Reactions: VRam
Apr 21, 2009
They truly were monsters. I remember hearing stories as a child how people cheered when they were put to death, even those who were against the death penalty. After having escaped from death row, there was a strong sentiment that keeping them alive in jail was just a ticking time bomb.