The Class of 2020....so far.......

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Believe it or not we also had a number of kids that at some point in their high school career were also top 100 or so like Don Franco, Johnny Story, Kenny Harris and our big guy from Snow Hill Maryland who went to Chowan for one year. I am drawing a blank on his name but he played with Kendrick.

The most germane point we can make here is that this is an outstanding recruiting class and will only get better.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Believe it or not we also had a number of kids that at some point in their high school career were also top 100 or so like Don Franco, Johnny Story, Kenny Harris and our big guy from Snow Hill Maryland who went to Chowan for one year. I am drawing a blank on his name but he played with Kendrick.

The most germane point we can make here is that this is an outstanding recruiting class and will only get better.
Sheron Mills

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Ok. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until now. Was he related to the garfinkles that own garfinkles department stores?

Also, one of my backup players of all time was henry finkle, the backup center for Dave cowens.

You can throw in the 2nd string center for the Chicago bulls, Tom boorwinkle.

Okay, that is all the inkles I could think of.
DL - Howard Garfinkel ran the Five-Star basketball camps, mostly in Pennsylvania, for many, many years. He also produced the Five-Star Report and was quite literally the God of the basketball recruiting world. He lived near Central park and visited the Carnegie Deli virtually every day of his life. People like Red Auerbach and virtually all major college basketball coaches and top recruits went to Howard for advice. He placed so many kids.

When we signed Calvin, Ro, and Steve Silva Garfinkle stated that VCU may have signed the best back-court in the nation that year. I have that in print in the Va.-Pilot somewhere in my archives.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I think N. Mollen is referring to the modern era. If you go back in time it's more like 8, not counting transfers, who were top 100 coming out of high school. Looking back Kendrick(top 10), Calvin, Rolando, and Michael Brown(Hopewell), were all considered in a number of top 100 lists. Back then the most important measure was Howard Garfinkels Five-Star report.
Did anyone do a ranking back then? Had numbers been invented?

Yes, I was referring to the modern era. I don't know that Garfinkel ever did an ordinal ranking of players

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
DL - Howard Garfinkel ran the Five-Star basketball camps, mostly in Pennsylvania, for many, many years. He also produced the Five-Star Report and was quite literally the God of the basketball recruiting world. He lived near Central park and visited the Carnegie Deli virtually every day of his life. People like Red Auerbach and virtually all major college basketball coaches and top recruits went to Howard for advice. He placed so many kids.

When we signed Calvin, Ro, and Steve Silva Garfinkle stated that VCU may have signed the best back-court in the nation that year. I have that in print in the Va.-Pilot somewhere in my archives.
I know. I was having fun with you :D

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Did anyone do a ranking back then? Had numbers been invented?

Yes, I was referring to the modern era. I don't know that Garfinkel ever did an ordinal ranking of players
I knew you were referring to the modern era. For the most part Garfinkel utilized the Star system. He invented it. A number of other services/publications did do some numerical rankings. Bob Gibbons who basically replaced Garfinkel as the recruiting guru was the one that really started using numerical rankings with his ALL- STAR SPORTS REPORT. He also used Stars like Garf. Bob was out of Lenoir North Carolina and he and his scouts travelled the country non-stop evaluating recruits. I used to talk to him often and he seemed to know where every highly regarded recruit was leaning. He had a ton of respect for JD and VCU. He would come on the Chuck Noe "Let's Talk Sports" show a couple of times a year to talk recruiting and take phone calls from across the nation regarding recruiting.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
At one point in the recruiting process Bob Gibbons had Kendrick in his top 3 nationally. His final ranking I believe was around 5th nationally. He was the second highest rated recruit, with Sampson being #1, to ever sign with a Virginia school to play basketball. It really helped VCU break some barriers. Precedent is always important when it comes to recruiting.

Last edited:

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
Gilmore
Tillman
JBurgess
Larrier
Hyland
...all top 100 by either ESPN or 247;
Plus Mack & Kenny who committed as top 100 kids then bounced. Not sure if missing anybody else

Reactions: RamBo

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
lets rate former players by stars for some fun or arguments to pass the time. Melvin 4 star, next?

Reactions: BradRamFan

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Plus Mack & Kenny
I know you are talking about Williams but Kenny Harris was probably top 100. He was incredible for Petersburg back in the day. I was shooting video of one of his games when the crowd was overflowing. He scored about 48.

Last edited:

PuddinDaStunna

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Deriante was #43 on 24-7 and #44 on Rivals, our second highest in the modern era after Larrier. Melvin Johnson was Top 100 on Rivals/24-7

Reactions: TampaKAP

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
Gilmore
Tillman
JBurgess
Larrier
Hyland
Plus Mack & Kenny who committed as top 100 kids then bounced. Not sure if missing anybody else
1-Gilmore, 2-Tilman, 3-Burgess, 4-Larrier, 5-KWilliams, 6-Mack, 7-Melvin, 8-Jenkins, 9-Hyland.
I know these are not in order - though for a while it seemed we were landing top-100 talent every year. I love our incoming crop! Still, I want us competing for and landing top 100 kids regularly. We are not some overachieving mid-major. We are VCU!!!