The Class of 2020....so far.......

Sep 2, 2013
You mentioned Wheeler the other day, so I just looked in the Nelson article and found the quote I think you were talking about.

Just as heavily recruited among the Justices as Nelson is 6-foot-10 rising senior Roosevelt Wheeler, who joined Nelson on the 2A All-State team.
In naming favorites for “Rose’s” talents, Coach White mentioned North Carolina State, Louisville, Memphis, Louisiana State University and Wake Forest.
Asked about the chances for hometown possibility Virginia Commonwealth University, Coach White said, “VCU is 100 percent in it.”

It's a local paper asking him about a local college what else could he say? It's just like when fans asked Hamdy was he staying, and he said yeah. What else was he supposed to say at that moment? I'm done getting hyped at words. It's too many variables behind the scenes in College BB to invest emotions until we see kids actually commit. I don't know; maybe I'm becoming like Randy Quaid's character from the major league movies 😆.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
It's a local paper asking him about a local college what else could he say? It's just like when fans asked Hamdy was he staying, and he said yeah. What else was he supposed to say at that moment? I'm done getting hyped at words. It's too many variables behind the scenes in College BB to invest emotions until we see kids actually commit. I don't know; maybe I'm becoming like Randy Quaid's character from the major league movies 😆.
Words to generally not say: "I'm becoming like Randy Quaid"

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Yeah. I saw Bighorn mention an article in the Free Press about Wheeler and VCU so I found it embedded in the Nelson article so I went ahead and shared the link. All of those other P5 schools were mentioned and then VCU came into the picture when the question was asked.

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
Not that it means much, but it is interesting to me the quality of offers classes have had since Mike got hired.

The “best” offers the high school guys turned down compared to previous classes according to various recruiting sites:

Ace: Seton Hall, Uconn, Clemson, South Carolina, Maryland
Banks: VT, Providence
Brown-Jones: Temple, Penn St decommit
Watkins: Seton Hall, VT, WV, St. John’s

Bones: Temple, Michigan, UConn
Clark: Canisius, Clayton St.
McAllister: VT decommit
Ward: Georgia, UMass, Rutgers

Byrd (transfer out): Boise St., UMass
Curry: none
Williams: Xavier, Wichita St.

Djonkam (transfer out): Duquesne decommit
Maye (transfer out): Nebraska, East Carolina
Mobley (Wade/transfer out): NC St., WVU, Dayton
Santos-Silva (Wade/transfer out): Temple

Last edited:

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Not that it means much, but it is interesting to me the quality of offers classes have had since Mike got hired.

The “best” offers the high school guys turned down compared to previous classes according to various recruiting sites:

Santos-Silva (Wade/transfer out):
Absolutely trending the right way.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
Absolutely trending the right way.
Yes, I love this! I noticed this too as of late... I think we are going to shock a lot of people this upcoming season! This class we have coming is going to be ready to play college basketball (more than any other freshman class we've had)!

Now more than ever, the gap between the level of completion from high school and college basketball is getting smaller... With AAU and tournaments year round - the incoming freshman these days are getting College Level basketball experience long before they ever step on the court at their schools as freshman.

I'm excited for next year and think we are really going to shock people!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2015
Yes, I love this! I noticed this too as of late... I think we are going to shock a lot of people this upcoming season! This class we have coming is going to be ready to play college basketball (more than any other freshman class we've had)!

Now more than ever, the gap between the level of completion from high school and college basketball is getting smaller... With AAU and tournaments year round - the incoming freshman these days are getting College Level basketball experience long before they ever step on the court at their schools as freshman.

I'm excited for next year and think we are really going to shock people!
"I just think European players are just way more skillful, They are just taught the game the right way at an early age. ... They're more skillful. It's something we really have to fix. We really have to address that. We have to teach our kids to play the right way."

"AAU basketball, Horrible, terrible AAU basketball. It's stupid. It doesn't teach our kids how to play the game at all so you wind up having players that are big and they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap and they don't know how to post. They don't know the fundamentals of the game. It's stupid."

"When you have limitations and you understand your limitations and you stay within yourself, you can be great, You know what you can do and what you can't do. In America, it's a big problem for us because we're not teaching players how to play all-around basketball. That's why you have Pau and Marc [Gasol], and that's the reason why 90 percent of the Spurs' roster is European players, because they have more skill."

“Teach players the game at an early age and stop treating them like cash cows for everyone to profit off of, That's how you do that. You have to teach them the game. Give them instruction."

-Kobe Bryant

Reactions: HBK and mrgeode
May 1, 2009
"I just think European players are just way more skillful, They are just taught the game the right way at an early age. ... They're more skillful. It's something we really have to fix. We really have to address that. We have to teach our kids to play the right way."

"AAU basketball, Horrible, terrible AAU basketball. It's stupid. It doesn't teach our kids how to play the game at all so you wind up having players that are big and they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap and they don't know how to post. They don't know the fundamentals of the game. It's stupid."

"When you have limitations and you understand your limitations and you stay within yourself, you can be great, You know what you can do and what you can't do. In America, it's a big problem for us because we're not teaching players how to play all-around basketball. That's why you have Pau and Marc [Gasol], and that's the reason why 90 percent of the Spurs' roster is European players, because they have more skill."

“Teach players the game at an early age and stop treating them like cash cows for everyone to profit off of, That's how you do that. You have to teach them the game. Give them instruction."

-Kobe Bryant
When the thrust of the NBA and most other America sports is offense and more and higher scoring, that is what your HS, AAU and college teams will most like all push rather than playing sound, fundamental basketball. Shoot the ball and score, shoot the ball and score. From the 80's in college they added the three point line and have decreased and decreased the amount of possession time....all geared to increase the score. Now colleges refs are all being pushed to call a bunch of ticky-tack fouls....again, all meant to speed up the game and allow players a better opportunity to score.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

Santos-Silva (Wade/transfer out): Temple
This supports one of the things I’ve been saying, which is our talent level is getting better. Unfortunately, our best talent is young and relatively inexperienced as a group. Hence, struggles in the non-conference this coming season are to be expected, but this team will be much better come February and March. The future is bright, but patience is required.

May 4, 2012

-Kobe Bryant
Hes right. AAU has become crap.

Reactions: HBK

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Those rings start at $299 each. Not going to happen. A family of 4 is not going to shell out another $1,200 just to gain entry into the Stu.

I belive health apps like Cardiogram and Oximeter on the Apple Watch monitors similar things....for those that have one already, much more cost effective alternative, plus could help with anonymized contact/exposure monitoring.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
When the thrust of the NBA and most other America sports is offense and more and higher scoring, that is what your HS, AAU and college teams will most like all push rather than playing sound, fundamental basketball. Shoot the ball and score, shoot the ball and score. From the 80's in college they added the three point line and have decreased and decreased the amount of possession time....all geared to increase the score. Now colleges refs are all being pushed to call a bunch of ticky-tack fouls....again, all meant to speed up the game and allow players a better opportunity to score.
You dont call ticky tacks to speed the game up.