The Future of the A10 from a Scheduling Perspective

duncanlamb

Elite Member
You do realize Saint Joe's has a bigger hoops budget than VCU, Cal. WSU, San Diego St., etc?

No, I didnt know this. But it begs the question "WTH are they doing?" Because they are marketing a bad product to their fan base and one of the teams dragging down the rest of the A10.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
No, I didnt know this. But it begs the question "WTH are they doing?" Because they are marketing a bad product to their fan base and one of the teams dragging down the rest of the A10.
Huh? St Joe's has won a couple of A10 titles since VCU joined. They are rebuilding now and I think they are a sleeper team this year.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Bonaventure fan here, but I come in peace! Just saw a quick article from everyone's favorite beat writer, Jon Rothstein, which made me think.

He was worried that the A10 was trending towards being a perennial one-bid league due to failures from the brass in the A10.

Aside from that statement being a bit of an overreaction, I think he did bring up some decent points.

He believes the A10 is not doing enough to create quality non-conference games for our members. He points to the A10 having five teams with 21+ wins in 2020, but only one school (Dayton Cryers) was a lock for the NCAAs.

Second, he believes there is a correlation with the A10 losing bids once we increased conference games from 16 to 18. He says A10 has not been a 3+ Bid league since that move.

I know the A10 and Mountain West had a challenge scheduled for last year, but obviously that was canceled. Not sure if that will resume next year, but that has the potential to be a positive for both conferences. Aside from having the MWC-A10 challenge each year, not sure what else could be done. I guess you could try the same with the Missouri Valley, but that conference is not as deep, and it would complicate things even further with deciding which team gets to play at home. I doubt VCU, Bona, etc. would go for two road games, if it shook out that way.

On top of that, which game or two do you remove from your schedule to make it work? It's a tough balance to strike having winnable games and having a good OOC. To make any type of challenge work, I think it'd be easier to play at a neutral site, especially if you want to do two conference challenges.

Regarding the schedule going from 16 to 18, I have to assume he would be correct if that meant teams in the conference getting two Q1/Q2 games, but that's hardly a given. I think the conference would be better served leaving two open slots for a game home and away in Feb/March to match up some of the best and worst teams.

Instead of playing George Mason and Davidson twice, maybe that gets replaced with the best team possible. Maybe one year you play Bona/SLU three times, but at least you get more cracks at Q1/Q2 games. It might be difficult to determine which team plays at home, but I guess you could go off A10 standings/ net rankings.

The best solution would be for our average to bad teams to win more games OOC and stop taking so many road games, which would help our SOS and those schools NET rankings.

Curious to see what you all think!
In my opinion, Rambling Rothstein is overreacting but he began to bang this drum when the A10 went to an expanded conference schedule. The A10 has always relied on having 4 to 6 solid teams to give the league multiple bids. It is always dependent on OOC records and if the top teams win lots of games in conference without tripping up to an average or below average conference mate. It will always be that way. I believe scheduling is important but if the less talented teams sometimes schedule too many difficult games then they come into the conference slate with poor overall records. Scheduling is something that programs need to evaluate and it is not the same for everyone.

When VCU joined I always felt like it was a 3 bid league. Having one at-large bid in a non-power conference is not horrible but having at least three bids is the goal. Getting multi-bids from the A10 is possible every year if the teams keep up with recruiting, scheduling and most importantly winning. We all know the NCAA tournament is weighted toward the power conferences because they have the luxury of playing in conferences that pad their SOS. Is what it is. I just think it is all about having teams that get better. VCU and Bona have been steady when it comes to winning. Teams like Rhody, SLU, UMass, St Joe's, etc have been like a rollercoaster. They have good stretches and then they go M.I.A for a bit then rebound. I think that is what hurts the league when it comes to how people view the conference.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Elite Member

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

Since 2016, they are 25-59 in conference, 67-96 overall. In the last 2 years, they are 5-25 in conference and 11-41 overall.

They are a long ways away from being out of the rebuilding mode.
I know that. If you know their history you will find that they have done well in conference. The stretch you mentioned was the reason they let Martelli go. They have helped the A10 in the past and they will again. If you look at my other post they were mentioned as one of the teams that has good seasons followed by bad ones. They like Rhody, UMass and SLU need to keep it together and have solid seasons every year.
I find it funny that you chose to bash St Joe's while you continually prop up Duquesne and Mason. St Joe's has helped the A10 more than both of those programs you champion combined.

Last edited:

Ramcounter

Elite Member
Personally I think the expanded conference schedule to 18 was a mistake. It takes away teams flexibility to schedule based on what they think their potential is for the season. Also, only have 1 “rivalry“ series and do the other home and home series based on preseason rankings. Lastly, I am intrigued by what CUSA did with the flex games at the end of the season to maximize the good conference games at the end of the season.

For teams themselves I have always wondered why more teams don’t schedule a highly ranked low major on a neutral court site . That can add a Q2 or possibly a Q1 game to the schedule.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I find it funny that you chose to bash St Joe's while you continually prop up Duquesne and Mason. St Joe's has helped the A10 more than both of those programs you

Mason has is 43-44 and 84-70 overall in that same time frame with 4 out of 5 winning seasons; mind you that's with paulsen(a mediocre coach) at the helm.

In the Dambrot era(4 seasons), duquense is 35-33 in conference and 62-47 overall. Alot of those wins in the last 18 months playing in someone else's gym for home.games.

I think both teams are more likely to be in the upper echelon (top 7 teams) than st. Joes.

Again, the bonnies fan said st joes has a BIGGER bball budget than VCU, Mason and Duquesne so what are they doing...why have they sucked so bad...especially with a former top 50 guard, Dahmir Bishop

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

Mason has is 43-44 and 84-70 overall in that same time frame with 4 out of 5 winning seasons; mind you that's with paulsen(a mediocre coach) at the helm.

I would venture to say with Kim English and the transfers he's got coming in plus the.core of returning players...they are more likely to turn the corner to saint joe's.

In the Dambrot era(4 seasons), duquense is 35-33 in conference and 62-47 overall. Alot of those wins in the last 18 months playing in someone else's gym for home.games.

I think both teams are more likely to be in the upper echelon (top 7 teams) than st. Joes.
Really? Both of those teams have been awful while St Joe's has two A10 championships since VCU joined. Mason and Duquesne have none. Zip.
St Joe's has a really good roster this season. Better than both of those teams. You are way off but feel free to keep it going. It is comical. I am no homer for Mason or Duquesne like you are and I am not for St Joe's but the Hawks are much better for the A10.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Really? Both of those teams have been awful while St Joe's has two A10 championships since VCU joined. Mason and Duquesne have none. Zip.
St Joe's has a really good roster this season. Better than both of those teams. You are way off but feel free to keep it going. It is comical. I am no homer for Mason or Duquesne like you are and I am not for St Joe's but the Hawks are much better for the A10.

A championship 5 seasons ago .a lonnnggg time ago...25-59 and 67-96 since...you.cant blame it all on martelli..lange has been there 2 season and is 5-26 in conference and 11-41 overall..that is fordham bad.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
A championship 5 seasons ago .a lonnnggg time ago...25-59 and 67-96 since...you.cant blame it all on martelli..lange has been there 2 season and is 5-26 in conference and 11-41 overall..that is fordham bad.
Ask the creator of this thread about Duquesne. They have been a drag on the conference and now Dambrot has almost an entirely new team. Mason just fired their coach because they stink. And that makes two coaches since joining the A10. Their record is so great that they fire coaches.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
The A-10 isn't 'trending' toward a 1-bid league, we're already there. But most around these parts are happy enough with it, they've stuck with an AD who let the best coach in program history walk out the door and has done little to nothing to get us into a better league. At least we're not a football school tho amirite?
You’re weird