The Future of the A10 from a Scheduling Perspective

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I didn't comment on the performance of the band, although the playing is not materially different so far as I can tell. And I don't know or particularly want to bash Ryan as a human being. I'll just say that (a) the band is item 1,734 on my list of most important things about the program, and therefore of concern to the AD; (b) the band director was occupied positions 1-2,000 of importance to the band director; and (c) I don't think the interests of VCU basketball, or VCU more broadly, are advanced materially by having some doughy dude strip to the waist and do the bump and grind at basketball games.

The band director "issue" has consumed 100,000% more space on this board and in the AD's consciousness than it ever deserved.
I will say I do not think "doughy" is an apt descriptor of our former band director; as '21 winds down I find I can speak with new expertise on that subject

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I will say I do not think "doughy" is an apt descriptor of our former band director; as '21 winds down I find I can speak with new expertise on that subject
Yeah, he's definitely not doughy. Meanwhile I'm a bowl of sourdough that's been sitting out too long.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I don't think the interests of VCU basketball, or VCU more broadly, are advanced materially by having some doughy dude strip
pillsbury-doughboy-surprised.gif

Violet Ram

Elite Member
I did a little digging around and found this in ODU's faculty handbook about their faculty positions known as artists-in-residence: "The main criterion for reappointment is pre-eminence in an artistic field, and the normal academic credentials, such as advanced degrees or experience in university teaching, are not necessarily required." In other words, you don't have to have a college degree to teach as an artist-in-residence.
You're misinterpreting the handbook. It's saying that regular academic hires need to have an advanced degree (eg post bachelors) and/or teaching experience. It does not speak to bachelor's degrees. Furthermore, even if ODU did state that artists-in-residence could be employed as an instructor without an undergrad degree, an university can not supersede a state law despite what ODU civics classes teach.

I'm not going to speak to the quality of the band since I do not attend enough games in person to get a great sense, but I would also note that the talent and enthusiasm of a band is also highly dependent on the students and it's cultural. Having an energetic and charismatic band director can help promote the environment, but the character will inevitably change as students graduate and new members join.

rammed

Elite Member
It’s been a while ago, but my daughter played in the pep band. Ryan was a game day “show piece”. He “directed” the band on game day. He did not go to practices. Music Department professionals handled that. It could have changed later but that was my daughter’s experience.

I think the energy/vibe has gone down somewhat. I think there tend to be a few head-scratcher song selections, like when the opponent goes on an 8-0 run and we call a rare timeout and the band plays "You don't Wanna Go to War." I don't recall Ryan making the mistake of playing the wrong song for the moment. By the end of the Ryan-era, it was getting to where I think it had run its course. I think the Green Machine at gmu has run its course too. About the most pleasure, aside from the energy/better song selection was hearing other teams' fans say "that's disgusting." Nah, it's VCU and it's what we do.

I think a lot of other things have run their course too - including big heads, very lame games played during timeouts, those long skinny balloons in the student section, throwing rolls into the stands, etc. This is VCU. We're better than this. Where's the creativity?

Havoc City

Elite Member
You're misinterpreting the handbook. It's saying that regular academic hires need to have an advanced degree (eg post bachelors) and/or teaching experience. It does not speak to bachelor's degrees. Furthermore, even if ODU did state that artists-in-residence could be employed as an instructor without an undergrad degree, an university can not supersede a state law despite what ODU civics classes teach.

I'm not going to speak to the quality of the band since I do not attend enough games in person to get a great sense, but I would also note that the talent and enthusiasm of a band is also highly dependent on the students and it's cultural. Having an energetic and charismatic band director can help promote the environment, but the character will inevitably change as students graduate and new members join.
I don't think I'm misinterpreting anything. The handbook says you don't have to have an advanced degree to teach as an artist-in-residence, which is something I've seen at universities in three different states. Also, you're assuming Virginia has a state law about the minimum requirements for a professor, but nobody has established that's an actual law. People are simply stating that's the case. Do you have a link to the state law that says what you say it says?

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Degree or not, Ryan's way of handling the money issue via social media left Ed with very few options.
If Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates wanted to teach here in a full time capacity for $100K per year, I think you would see how flexible the University and the state become with the degree requirement.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Degree or not, Ryan's way of handling the money issue via social media left Ed with very few options.
If Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates wanted to teach here in a full time capacity for $100K per year, I think you would see how flexible the University and the state become with the degree requirement.
There's always a way, it's just a question of whether or not it's worth the hassle. Reasonable people can disagree about Ed's decision there, but he made it and it seems to have turned out OK.