The Future of the A10 from a Scheduling Perspective

RamStrut

Elite Member
I didn't comment on the performance of the band, although the playing is not materially different so far as I can tell. And I don't know or particularly want to bash Ryan as a human being. I'll just say that (a) the band is item 1,734 on my list of most important things about the program, and therefore of concern to the AD; (b) the band director was occupied positions 1-2,000 of importance to the band director; and (c) I don't think the interests of VCU basketball, or VCU more broadly, are advanced materially by having some doughy dude strip to the waist and do the bump and grind at basketball games.

The band director "issue" has consumed 100,000% more space on this board and in the AD's consciousness than it ever deserved.
That’s great that the Band is so far down your list of priorities with the program but that doesn’t mean it isn’t higher on other people’s list. I get that some may be put off by Ryan’s larger than life persona. However, there is no doubt that the atmosphere and mystique of our home games has waned a ton. The soul of the Stu is a shell of its former self. We are no longer getting any national attention with the Peppas. We no longer seem to come up with any new band material. We don’t play certain songs at appropriate times. I agree this doesn’t matter much in terms of the the play from the team and I agree I’d rather have a better team on the floor than band in the stands but I’m also of the mindset of maximizing every detail of the program.

VCUPepBandRules

Elite Member
I appreciate the clarification re: Coach Finley. That was a bit before my time (in terms of following volleyball) so I didn't have all the details.
Well, I can understand why you didn't know about this because athletics still can't comment on what happened. The only reason I know is one of my fellow bandmates asked a few of the players that stuck around the following season as to what happened while we were putting away our stuff and they told us. The good thing is when Coach Rogers came in, she was able to whip them in shape academically, and then athletically to the point where we are one of the top teams in the A10. One thing Ed seems to have been doing really well is hiring staff that recruits athletes who excel both academically and athletically...

...without having to create some fake class for the student athletes to take ;p

Personally I think VCU should focus on the best possible schedule (and not be concerned with the A10 schedule - bottom line is A10 schedule is not what will get us at large bids in tourney unless we win or place 2nd in conference)
We still have too many schools with 100+ ratings (we should never play more than 2 of those OOC each year, except playing ODU annually)
I am sure I am a little naive when it comes to OOC scheduling but why we did not seek to play Oregon in Portland , Oregon (away but neutral site) would have been a great made for tv game and a top 20 win or loss (neither hurt vs wins vs teams outside top 100 which have NO impact on helping resume)
The more times we challenge ourselves with road games with top 25 programs the faster we will become a more toughened team and ready for NCAA tourney beyond one and done
Home and Home is just never going to happen until we are consistently top 20 (so we should stop using that as an excuse to not go on road)
home and home with Penn State or Vanderbilt (we can do better) start with 2 on road for one home game with top 25 programs as a starting point

mglitos

Elite Member
Insider
So let’s take “it takes two to tango” off the table. The other has to want to play us, and within the framework of their schedule. They have their own priorities that have nothing to do with us. A trip to play Oregon has to fit within our framework. Meaning, you can’t load up on tests. We’ve got to get the winning feeling. That matters.

Also a trip to Oregon is taxing. Playing at Oregon and coming home to play Iona is how you lose to Iona. Now, a west coast trip with Oregon, St. Mary’s, and the Washington School for ODU Transfers just before holiday break is a little different.

Then again, that eats up a lot of your schedule and the kids are, indeed, college students.

Also, can we get “Oregon” in the form of “Maryland?”

Dates have to align. You both have to be open.

You have to find someone other than Virginia Texh, too scared to play you.

I guess I have no point other than it’s harder than it looks because there’s a lot of moving parts for two programs. I continue to back Jimmy Martelli’s raise.

I guess I have no point other than it’s harder than it looks because there’s a lot of moving parts for two programs. I continue to back Jimmy Martelli’s raise.
no doubt there are logistics with any schedule but a trip out west has to be exciting for a young team to see America (and Pac 12 teams match up well with VCU)
my simple thought (probably poorly stated) is we can do a lot better with our schedule given the fact that our conference schedule means we play 8-10 games each year against teams with RPIs sub 100 that do little to help our national/tournament profile come March and having another 5-6 in OOC schedule doesn't help ( I understand 2 lightweights to get the winning feeling and love when they are in state teams like a JMU or Radford, W&M or Liberty or .....)
for 25 years I have heard VCU AD and coach after coach say we are a good enough program that we will only do home and homes
fast forward to 2021 and our home and homes are with Penn State and Vanderbilt (two lower tier P5s in their respective conferences) only those home and homes with our former coaches schools because of contractual obligations have rung the bell in the past)
We have to do something else or be resigned to the fact our best games will come in the preseason tournaments or Thanksgiving tournaments and we will have a lukewarm home schedule year after year
Scheduling is partially about relationships between head coaches and ADs when trying to land the big fish (so to speak)
As a side note, I don't know Martelli but don't disagree that he works hard and is worth his salary etc...
Excellent coaches like we have should have their teams ready each game, so I worry less about the banana peel effect when you return from big games (we have bounced back well from early season tourneys over the past decade or so)
as always I enjoy your insight and perspective and I am sure I minimize the difficulty in doing what I suggest

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
I'm all for cupcakes on the schedule and second weekend dancing! When's our first for real game?!

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
The other has to want to play us, and within the framework of their schedule. They have their own priorities that have nothing to do with us.
This x 1000. I have a friend who always says that VCU should play VT. My response is of course they should but at the end of the day, VT doesn’t need to play us.

VCURAMIT

Elite Member
The volleyball thing wasn't weird, and actually was a good move. All though the way athletics had to handle it made it look bad. Coach Finley was a good coach in that he was able to produce winning teams, and everybody likes a winning team right? The problem is those winning teams were not doing so well academically and the program was about to lose the ability to have post seasons and a few scholarship spots stripped because their Academic Progress Rate was dropping like a stone. It was because of this that Ed had no other choice but to not renew Finley's contract at the end of the fiscal year (basically fire him). Unfortunately, Finley came out and tried to peg it as he was being fired because he was gay, and all Ed could do is pump out the generic PR stuff because he was bound by privacy and confidentiality rules.

As for the Ryan crap, I'm not touching this because it's already been hashed out in countless other threads. As for some of the song choices that others have brought up, like when we're down by 20 and break into something like Rock and Roll Part 2 (The Hay Song), some of that is scripted. For example marketing has us play it in the first called time out in the second half that extends to a full time out. And yes, we cringe at that too, but it sounds like they've come up with some more polished ideas for this season based on what they've learned during last season...

...I'm just happy that we're up to 3 GWAR toons now. I tried to get Ryan to add one to the rotation because, well, they started at VCU and live in Richmond, but what pleases me the most is how much fun my fellow bandmates enjoy playing them...

Well said, I remember this whole situation vividly and it was in no way Ed's fault.

Ram20ROB

Elite Member
The volleyball thing wasn't weird, and actually was a good move. All though the way athletics had to handle it made it look bad. Coach Finley was a good coach in that he was able to produce winning teams, and everybody likes a winning team right? The problem is those winning teams were not doing so well academically and the program was about to lose the ability to have post seasons and a few scholarship spots stripped because their Academic Progress Rate was dropping like a stone. It was because of this that Ed had no other choice but to not renew Finley's contract at the end of the fiscal year (basically fire him). Unfortunately, Finley came out and tried to peg it as he was being fired because he was gay, and all Ed could do is pump out the generic PR stuff because he was bound by privacy and confidentiality rules.

Ed caught so much unwarranted crap over this situation. Finley did fire people up claiming he was fired because he was gay and, as PepBandRules, said, Ed couldn't respond because of confidentiality laws & regs. A lot of people jumped on Finley's wagon and attacked Ed as a homophobe for weeks. Only later did some of them realize that Finley was in a position that required one year's notice of nonrenewal. When Finley left Ed hadn't been here a year so the notice of nonrenewal must have been issued by the previous AD. Ed never disclosed that, remained professional and took one for the department.

Ram20ROB

Elite Member
Ed caught so much unwarranted crap over this situation. Finley did fire people up claiming he was fired because he was gay and, as PepBandRules, said, Ed couldn't respond because of confidentiality laws & regs. A lot of people jumped on Finley's wagon and attacked Ed as a homophobe for weeks. Only later did some of them realize that Finley was in a position that required one year's notice of nonrenewal. When Finley left Ed hadn't been here a year so the notice of nonrenewal must have been issued by the previous AD. Ed never disclosed that, remained professional and took one for the department.