The Future of the A10 from a Scheduling Perspective

Ramcounter

Elite Member
So let’s take “it takes two to tango” off the table. The other has to want to play us, and within the framework of their schedule. They have their own priorities that have nothing to do with us. A trip to play Oregon has to fit within our framework. Meaning, you can’t load up on tests. We’ve got to get the winning feeling. That matters.

Also a trip to Oregon is taxing. Playing at Oregon and coming home to play Iona is how you lose to Iona. Now, a west coast trip with Oregon, St. Mary’s, and the Washington School for ODU Transfers just before holiday break is a little different.

Then again, that eats up a lot of your schedule and the kids are, indeed, college students.

Also, can we get “Oregon” in the form of “Maryland?”

Dates have to align. You both have to be open.

You have to find someone other than Virginia Texh, too scared to play you.

I guess I have no point other than it’s harder than it looks because there’s a lot of moving parts for two programs. I continue to back Jimmy Martelli’s raise.
One thing I have been wondering about is why VCU has seemingly stopped the 1 game in a neutral site location since Wade left. Looking at the Kenpom rankings, it seems like there are a decent number of low/ mid major teams this year where the game would be beneficial to both programs from a tournament resume perspective.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
Personally I think VCU should focus on the best possible schedule (and not be concerned with the A10 schedule - bottom line is A10 schedule is not what will get us at large bids in tourney unless we win or place 2nd in conference)
We still have too many schools with 100+ ratings (we should never play more than 2 of those OOC each year, except playing ODU annually)
I am sure I am a little naive when it comes to OOC scheduling but why we did not seek to play Oregon in Portland , Oregon (away but neutral site) would have been a great made for tv game and a top 20 win or loss (neither hurt vs wins vs teams outside top 100 which have NO impact on helping resume)
The more times we challenge ourselves with road games with top 25 programs the faster we will become a more toughened team and ready for NCAA tourney beyond one and done
Home and Home is just never going to happen until we are consistently top 20 (so we should stop using that as an excuse to not go on road)
home and home with Penn State or Vanderbilt (we can do better) start with 2 on road for one home game with top 25 programs as a starting point

What are you talking about, Donk?!

If there’s one thing VCU has excelled at over the past decade, it’s scheduling! We’ve garnered, by far, the most at-large bids (7) of any non-P6 since 2011. The Rams staff has essentially “cracked the code” regarding non-P6 at-large resumes on Selection Sunday.

The formula is set (mix of challenging/easy games, home/road/neutral). Get to 24 (or so) wins by Selection Sunday. The overall schedule provides enough rigor (and ease) to generate the necessary (quality/volume of) wins (and, as a byproduct, the associated at-large-contending metrics - KP, NET, RPI, SOS, conf reg season and A-10 tourney finish, etc). This year’s slate will be no different. Our scheduling philosophy (and execution) could not be more sound, particularly as a non-P6.

Last edited:
1500 less season tickets sold - VCU fans are speaking with their dollars - Penn State at home as the biggest game on the schedule (OOC) is below what we are capable of bringing to the Stu (and next year Vandy - wow)
clearly we disagree and I respect your opinion

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Personally I think VCU should focus on the best possible schedule (and not be concerned with the A10 schedule - bottom line is A10 schedule is not what will get us at large bids in tourney unless we win or place 2nd in conference)
We still have too many schools with 100+ ratings (we should never play more than 2 of those OOC each year, except playing ODU annually)
I am sure I am a little naive when it comes to OOC scheduling but why we did not seek to play Oregon in Portland , Oregon (away but neutral site) would have been a great made for tv game and a top 20 win or loss (neither hurt vs wins vs teams outside top 100 which have NO impact on helping resume)
The more times we challenge ourselves with road games with top 25 programs the faster we will become a more toughened team and ready for NCAA tourney beyond one and done
Home and Home is just never going to happen until we are consistently top 20 (so we should stop using that as an excuse to not go on road)
home and home with Penn State or Vanderbilt (we can do better) start with 2 on road for one home game with top 25 programs as a starting point
They tried to work out an ESPN neutral court game with Oregon. At least that is what I heard. It fell apart because Oregon and ESPN were not flexible with dates and VCU had a game the day after the date that they proposed. At least that is what I heard. It is not for a lack of trying. Overall this OOC schedule is fine if they win. The A10 also built in a tough conference schedule for VCU giving them two game match-ups with Bona, UR and Dayton who should be at the top of the league. Also, Davidson and Mason. The schedule is fine. At Vandy is going to be tough. Pippen is the preseason SEC POY. The Battle for Atlantis is brutal. Penn State at home will look good if they win. Get wins at Vandy and at the Stu vs. Penn State and get a game or two in the Bahamas along with winning all the other home OOC games and they are set heading into A10 play.

Mercury

Elite Member
Our problem isn't the created schedule but rather constantly losing the first game of our early season tournaments. Our schedules always have a great mix of dregs, good teams from conferences below the A-10 and a couple tough games sprinkled in.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Our problem isn't the created schedule but rather constantly losing the first game of our early season tournaments. Our schedules always have a great mix of dregs, good teams from conferences below the A-10 and a couple tough games sprinkled in.
Yeah. Winning the first game in those tournaments is important. Gotta get to the winners bracket for the chance to play the best games. It happened in the Bahamas once when they beat a ranked Memphis team so they got Duke and then Missouri. They lost the last two but the SOS needle moved in a positive direction. Last year beat Utah State was key too. Syracuse will be tough.

they got Duke and then Missouri. They lost the last two but the SOS needle moved in a positive direction.
my point exactly - a top OOC opponent or two more moves the SOS needle even if you lose and improves the attractiveness of your yearly schedule to top 100 recruit (right now we have a great style of basketball that appeals to recruits but a schedule a notch below where I believe it could be if our coaches / AD created those relationships and jettisoned the home and home mantra
Also VCU fans are not buying season tickets like they have over the past 10+ years - while I recognize fan experience with the pandemic and maybe changing financial situations for a few may have contributed to the decreases, a better home schedule goes a long way to help keeping those fans connected with season tickets (quality of Home schedule is what led me to give up my season tickets after 25 + years, and now single games only to see Dayton and St Bona for me without required donations and seat TAX)
Thanks for the update on Oregon (I had not heard that ) I guess our coaches were thinking similar to my sentiment at least on the Oregon opportunity for 21-22 in light of what happened in March
Go Rams

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
my point exactly - a top OOC opponent or two more moves the SOS needle even if you lose and improves the attractiveness of your yearly schedule to top 100 recruit (right now we have a great style of basketball that appeals to recruits but a schedule a notch below where I believe it could be if our coaches / AD created those relationships and jettisoned the home and home mantra
Also VCU fans are not buying season tickets like they have over the past 10+ years - while I recognize fan experience with the pandemic and maybe changing financial situations for a few may have contributed to the decreases, a better home schedule goes a long way to help keeping those fans connected with season tickets (quality of Home schedule is what led me to give up my season tickets after 25 + years, and now single games only to see Dayton and St Bona for me without required donations and seat TAX)
Thanks for the update on Oregon (I had not heard that ) I guess our coaches were thinking similar to my sentiment at least on the Oregon opportunity for 21-22 in light of what happened in March
Go Rams
Call me crazy but I do not think most of the VCU fans study VCU's OOC before buying tickets. I consider season tickets entertainment but I also get them to support the program.

Call me crazy but I do not think most of the VCU fans study VCU's OOC before buying tickets. I consider season tickets entertainment but I also get them to support the program.
would never call any of our fans crazy (best fanbase in A10)- no doubt 60-70% of Ram season ticket holders are going to buy year after year with no consideration of the schedule (technically we know you buy season tickets before we know current OOC) and most give money to support program/s but quite a few would not give or reduce donations if they were not required to donate at certain levels to get the seats they want (major athletic dept.s learned to connect those two to maximize contributions decades ago - took VCU until a little over a decade ago to really cash into that approach)

we have all been in the STU for those early OOC games and seen the 1000 -1500 empty seats (those that season ticket holders choose not to attend or cannot find friends to attend) throughout the STU and mellow atmosphere - student attendance was also on the decline pre pandemic and my experience is that students will come out if we are ranked or playing rival or other big games

my experience about 4 years ago (and I sat mid court half way up section ) was the person with season tickets next to me (4 tickets) attended less than half games as did the group in front of me (4 tickets) - they often gave tickets away to friends for free
But boy oh boy the atmosphere is electric in the STU when a Oklahoma, UVA, or LSU ....
plays us in the STU (to get me back as a season ticket holder I would have to see many more of those games on our schedule - but I recognize that is my personal experience and others look at it differently and would show up and donate if our OOC home schedule contained all 300+ RPI opponents or NET - for now I just buy single game tickets for 3 or 4 games at face value or less and for other games remain glued in front of tv
Sorry for this rambling post
Go Rams