Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
VCU suffered a tough close loss to the fifth-ranked Dayton Flyers on Tuesday, but there was an odd bit of optimism following the L and all of it had to do with VCU’s youth.
The Rams were carried by their younger players on the evening. Freshman Bones Hyland got the start in senior Marcus Evans’ absence (knee injury) and scored a game-high 18 points in a contest featuring a likely top-3 pick in this year’s upcoming NBA Draft. Hyland connected on seven of his 14 attempts in the loss including a 50% night from beyond the three-point arc. He’s currently shooting 45.1% from long range in conference games, the best mark in the Atlantic 10.
Tre Clark freezes future NBA lottery pick, Obi Toppin, then finishes the easy bucket.
Classmates Tre Clark (4 points on 2-3 shooting), Jarren McAllister (one point on a free throw) and Hasan Ward...
Continue reading...

Last edited:

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Some Atlantic 10 freshmen examples...

A-10 Player of the Year winners
27.9 - Obi Toppin (+8.4)....ELITE from the jump..will win A-10 & perhaps NPOY this year
18.2 - TJ Cline (+1.5)....while at Niagara, eventual A-10 POY
11.5 - Tyler Kalinoski (+1.3)...eventual A-10 POY at Davidson
14.6 - DeAndre Bembry (+2.4)...eventual A-10 POY and early entry NBA draftee
15.9 - Peyton Aldridge (+5.2)...eventual A-10 POY at Davidson
15.6 - Jaylen Adams (+2)...eventual A-10 POY at St. Bonaventure
12.6 - Jordair Jett (0.7)...eventual A-10 POY at SLU

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp
Dec 2, 2012
Wow, analysis with facts, numbers and statistics!
I didn't know you were allowed to do that on here!

Interesting note that comes to mind from going over the article:
People who say MR coddles players or who might be "too loyal" should take a look at the folks eased out.
It's just part of the game now, and also, it's a good sign of how good a man manger he is , that none of the people leaving have really been a source of drama.

If we had had the results of year one, then this years results in year two, and last years results this year, people would be building a statue of MR.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Love your positive outlook. There are some good coaches out there who have had a lot more talent than VCU and have taken a while to bring there programs to the top. Just an example, Mark Turgeon finally has his Terps in a position to do something special. These things take time and we as supporters have to have patience.
Some posters here may be interested in this....

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Hasan Ward averages when playing double-digit minutes this year (8 total games)

11 minutes
5 ppg
2.5 rebs
1.1 blocks
16-24 shooting (66.7%)

Per 30 averages

13.6 ppg
6.8 rebs
3 blocks

Not bad. I think the key for Hasan is to just be a student of the game and try and get jacked in the weight room this offseason. He's got all the tools. If his worth ethic matches, he's got legit NBA potential, IMO.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Hasan Ward averages when playing double-digit minutes this year (8 total games)

11 minutes
5 ppg
2.5 rebs
1.1 blocks
16-24 shooting (66.7%)

Per 30 averages

13.6 ppg
6.8 rebs
3 blocks

Not bad. I think the key for Hasan is to just be a student of the game and try and get jacked in the weight room this offseason. He's got all the tools. If his worth ethic matches, he's got legit NBA potential, IMO.
He has the physical attributes for sure, he needs lbs. and playing time now.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
He has the physical attributes for sure, he needs lbs. and playing time now.
Also I think a motor. Hasan has sooooo muuuuch raw potential, but sometimes he looks a little shy out there. I wanna see him playing like a madman out there, play angry, etc.

Reactions: VCU85