The Offense

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I'm just as happy with Corey stepping out to shot a three as I am Vann.

I'm sure Mike is searching for someone to get hot from the outside to give more opportunities for MSS to operate around the basket. It is getting crowed in the paint with our lack of shooting...makes it hard to drive as well. Playing Corey doesnt help that. We need to make threes...it doesn't work (against good teams) if we don't.
However.... if we have MSS & Corey on the court at the same time.... if the opponent doubles down on MSS... that could leave Corey open. Or it could leave one of our guys open on the wing for a better look at a 3 that isn't so off balanced. Personally, with the size Rhody had... I think we shoulda had some combo of MSS/Corey/Ward on the court the majority of the time to try & combat it.

Vcuguy324

Insider
Jan 25, 2013
I would like to see Corey and MSS play together more, unfortunately the makeup of the roster doesn't allow it. With only 3 true "big" guys and one being a true freshman that is still in the learning mode, MSS and Corey have to fill the same spot on the floor and don't get to be played with each other very often.

Jul 14, 2011
Anyone have an update on Crow? One guy isnt going to right the ship but I can see him nailing a timely 3 to keep a rally going.
This more depends on if we utilize him. He has only attempted 3 shots per game. Even if he only shot 3s and kept with his 3pt% then that would be getting us 4.5 points a game. I would like to see us bring him back and get him involved in the offense. I always saw him as the best shooter on the team and wished we ran more plays to get him open and involved.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I would like to see Corey and MSS play together more, unfortunately the makeup of the roster doesn't allow it. With only 3 true "big" guys and one being a true freshman that is still in the learning mode, MSS and Corey have to fill the same spot on the floor and don't get to be played with each other very often.
I disagree with this.

Playing together and playing together the entire game are two different things. Corey is only averaging 12.8 minutes per game. He has two total fouls the last three games he's played (a total of 38 minutes) and hasn't had over three fouls this entire season, meaning it hasn't been a foul trouble issue outside of the Wichita State game really.

I think it's really just a style preference of Rhoades (and a lot of other people). We played Sean most at the 4 last season (and the season before), but he was a 38% three-point shooter as a freshman on 79 attempts and was a solid passer. This year Kel is playing the majority of the 4 minutes with Vince currently backing him up (even though Vince is currently a worse career three-point shooter than Corey). At Rice Rhoades went with 6'5 Egor Koulechov at the 4 almost all the time (39% three-point shooter), so clearly it's just a preference of Rhoades to have that Kel/Sean/Egor/Treveon/Bradford type at that position.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I think it's really just a style preference of Rhoades (and a lot of other people).
On this note, just look around college hoops in 2020 and you'll see this is pretty much the rout everyone goes. Some teams are just lucky enough (/established enough) to be able to put a 6'8+ 37% three-point shooter at that position.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
On this note, just look around college hoops in 2020 and you'll see this is pretty much the rout everyone goes. Some teams are just lucky enough (/established enough) to be able to put a 6'8+ 37% three-point shooter at that position.
A player, like Jamie Skeen, has been the missing ingredient in our offence.
Teams know they can double/triple team MSS, as good as he is around the basket, he is not going to scare anybody outside of 5ft from the basket. We have nobody to draw the defense away from a packed lane.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
However.... if we have MSS & Corey on the court at the same time.... if the opponent doubles down on MSS... that could leave Corey open. Or it could leave one of our guys open on the wing for a better look at a 3 that isn't so off balanced. Personally, with the size Rhody had... I think we shoulda had some combo of MSS/Corey/Ward on the court the majority of the time to try & combat it.
We are getting wide open...stare at basket take a couple dribbles..threes... offensive is getting good looks and nobody is making anything ....kids have to make shots

Dec 2, 2012
A player, like Jamie Skeen, has been the missing ingredient in our offence.
Teams know they can double/triple team MSS, as good as he is around the basket, he is not going to scare anybody outside of 5ft from the basket. We have nobody to draw the defense away from a packed lane.
Here is my question: if everyone is sagging in on MSS, why aren't we getting more wide open looks?
They are sagging in on MSS, but can't we use ball movement to get better shots?

Another question: Do Evans and/or Vann have some off court issues or nagging injuries? They both look out of sorts, frustrated, and unhappy. Its not something obvious like walking with a limp but they both look worn out to me, like they need a day off or something.

Why don't we do something like say set a backside pick for MSS, then rotate the ball and then feed the post from the reverse side?
Why don't our guards set screens for each other off the ball?
is it just me or are the only screens we set ball screens?

Seriously asking.

On the plus side, we are doing a much better job at hitting the player who leaks out and gets behind the defence than we were at the start of the season.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Here is my question: if everyone is sagging in on MSS, why aren't we getting more wide open looks?
They are sagging in on MSS, but can't we use ball movement to get better shots?
I am no basketball wizard, but I would say that it is because we are using MSS to set the picks at the top of the key and absolutely no defender follows him out there allowing the other team to switch up knowing the rim is still guarded.

Reactions: Celticguy and Mcuff

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Using the current scenario with Crow being out, how is this different than Bones and ME playing together?

Reactions: Celticguy

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Of our recruits coming in next year, who is best known (if anyone) for knocking down 3’s a la Troy Daniels?

May 4, 2012
Douglas has improved his game this year and does deserve minutes espscially as it would benefit MSS dramatically. Ward will just have to do as well as he can to give them some rest and Williams can help with that.
We need more meat on the floor and if that makes us less long then fine. Its not like being long is doing much for us as it stands. URI ran us ragged despite out bench size.

Reactions: RamStrut and Newboy

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
I agree with this for the most part. The thing I didn't understand v. RI was why did Mike finally go to this lineup when we were down 6 or more in the closing minutes in desperate need of 3 point shooting??? At that point, Corey and MSS on the court together didn't make any sense.