The Offense

Mar 2, 2014
Could it be that the other teams are better? The other teams execute their offense better? They are prepared to defend a VCU squad that hasn’t adjusted?
Could it be that this team is not as good as we thought it should be? The players are giving it everything they have, so if it isn’t working we need to make some changes. Anything to rattle the mental blocks, both players and coaches. Have we become a one trick pony?
I’ve not played at any level but I understand process. On offense we are not moving. Too much standing around waiting on someone else to make it happen. Change the rules. Next game no 3 shots. Only elbow in. Challenge the players in different ways. It’s more than shots not falling. Right now it seems to be chemistry and maybe coaching. One or both.

You posters who have played have ideas about what needs to be done. Coach has email. Send them in.
Maybe they should try Army drills on Broad street.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
No matter what happens with Recruiting and Defense, the Offense is going to have to take a giant leap forward (efficiency-wise) for VCU basketball to return to Top 50/NCAA prominence. What happened in 2019 (dancing) was quite the anomaly (KP Offense #177 - lowest ever for an at-large team).

Decade (2011-2020)..................

Smart (5 NCAAs; 27 wins per yr; Avg KP Offense = 65)
2011:
KP Offense #47; 71.6 ppg; 4 in double figures; 28 wins
2012: KP Offense #96; 68.0 ppg; 3 in double figures; 29 wins
2013: KP Offense #20; 77.0 ppg; 4 in double figures; 27 wins
2014: KP Offense #106; 75.0 ppg; 3 in double figures; 26 wins
2015: KP Offense #58; 72.5 ppg; 2 in double figures; 26 wins

Wade (2 NCAAs; 26 wins per yr; Avg KP Offense = 65)
2016:
KP Offense #58; 77.2 ppg; 4 in double figures; 25 wins
2017: KP Offense #72; 74.7 ppg; 2 in double figures; 26 wins

Rhoades (1 NCAA; 20 wins per yr; Avg KP Offense = 155)
2018:
KP Offense #149; 76.0 ppg; 2 in double figures; 18 wins
2019: KP Offense #177; 71.0 ppg; 4 in double figures; 25 wins
2020: KP Offense #138; 70.7 ppg; 2 in double figures; 18 wins

Fact is, Mike Rhoades has not directed a KP Top 100 offense during his 6-yr head coaching career (3 Rice, 3 VCU). He's not only going to have to take it up a level on the recruiting trail but he's going to have to revisit his in-game situational decisions (timeouts, 2 for 1s, late clock, player freedom, etc), his play-calling (when/if to call certain plays and how often), his playing style philosophies (to better align with personnel), his rotations/minutes allocations, his approach to possessions (quick shots, efficiency shots, crash boards, get back on D, etc), and his standards/expectations (what shots/decisions are acceptable/unacceptable and by whom/when, turnover rates, etc). Frankly, Mike's been, IMO, much too loose, inconsistent, indecisive, and "creatively vanilla" at this end of the floor. I hope they've been studying film, drawing up new sets, examining other efficient offenses, reviewing analytics, etc.

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
We shall see if this rendition figures out this DIY offense. Dont know if it will produce more wins but it should be more fun to watch.

RamChris

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
The more our offense emulates the Golden State offense the better we'll be. I think we have 2 very talented passers (Bones and Ace). You combine that with guys that are ready for the ball and constantly moving in a system that makes sense, and it becomes infectious. The pass becomes as desirable as the basket, and the recognition among team mates is for the assist as much as the bucket.

It's the game at its highest level. But I think it must be emulated by the team's most gifted players first and foremost. I think our chemistry will be better this year. It sure needs to be. It was broke as a hockey puck last year.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@RamChris I think that's exactly the kind of offense we're moving toward, but many folks don't see that yet. We saw plenty of flashes of it last season. If our defense stays around the level it was the last two seasons, we're going to be a national treasure on display and will gather a lot of new fans, especially once BMB is eligible.

Reactions: RamChris

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Every team is looking for that chemistry. The passing game wins games! And I hope our team passes a lot to Bizzy and KeShawn for the score!!

Reactions: RamChris
May 4, 2012
Every team is looking for that chemistry. The passing game wins games! And I hope our team passes a lot to Bizzy and KeShawn for the score!!
Passing is vital IF movement is effective. Last three years it was not. Hoping the new kids have a better understanding of this freestyle thing Rhoades likes.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Hmmm. What are the odds of a team of all MR recruits understanding what MR expects and likes? Pretty good I would expect.

Can’t wait to see how it all works out!

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM