The Official Beat Baylor in the Bahamas Thread

KAdams

Elite Member
Kern led all with a +14 showing in his 14 mins played. Next closest was Deloach -2 in 10 min. All starters were in the - but curry was -24 in his 26 mins.
This. Surprised you guys haven’t been taking more about this. Curry is a total liability on offense — worst I’ve ever seen from a senior. Doesn’t shoot the ball well even when wide open, loses the ball when driving, steps out of bounds often, doesn’t catch passes, and missed layups by trying to pull off acrobatics. It’s infuriating, but we don’t have anyone who can step up to take his spot. Banks should’ve been it, but he honestly matches a lot of those same criticisms I just laid out.

My hope is that Tsohonis finds his rhythm and gets moved to SG when Ace is back, moving Curry to 2nd team. Curry’s defense is very strong, and he’s a great transition player. But holy shyt the guy is still the same immature freshman on offense from four years ago.

KAdams

Elite Member
This. Surprised you guys haven’t been taking more about this. Curry is a total liability on offense — worst I’ve ever seen from a senior. Doesn’t shoot the ball well even when wide open, loses the ball when driving, steps out of bounds often, doesn’t catch passes, and missed layups by trying to pull off acrobatics. It’s infuriating, but we don’t have anyone who can step up to take his spot. Banks should’ve been it, but he honestly matches a lot of those same criticisms I just laid out.

My hope is that Tsohonis finds his rhythm and gets moved to SG when Ace is back, moving Curry to 2nd team. Curry’s defense is very strong, and he’s a great transition player. But holy shyt the guy is still the same immature freshman on offense from four years ago.
Also, fully expect Kern to keep winning more minutes. Kid is a stud, just need more consistency on offense from him. Seems more coachable than Curry and Banks who haven’t made many adjustments to their games. The +14 vs -26 line is insane to me. Obviously skewed by some other factors, but eye test just confirms the sentiment that Kern is a better player for us than Curry. Less bonehead plays

fmrick

Elite Member
Insider
Greeting from Atlantis! Currently it is about 75 degrees and sunny at 7:15 am.

We have reserve seats to all 12 games, and VCUYvon and I have attended every one. The cool thing is that there are four or five NBA scouts sitting right behind us. So lots of comments and conversations about various players.

VCU has looked and preformed much better then I expected. I think this team is light-years ahead of where we were just a few weeks ago. Most fans from other teams have been impressed by us so far. Most expected us to lose to Baylor by 30 or more. After the game we got nothing but more respect.

We also gained one new fan. One of the NBA guys stayed for our game against Baylor because he wanted to watch the game. Remember, these guys are working on a holiday, away from their families. Most of them stay for some games and leave for others. But he told me he is quickly becoming a VCU fan. He loved what he saw.

Before anyone asks, none of them were looking at any specific players, including anyone from VCU. While they talk a lot, remember they work for a specific team and don't seem to want to share their opinions with the guy sitting next to them. They are competing for players and do their own evaluations. But what you do hear are comments like- "the dude just can't pass to the left with his right hand!" when a player throws a bad pass. If you listen carefully, you can pickup some comments. All of them seemed to like the way VCU did not back down. That was clear.

UConn looks tough, but not unbeatable. Their fans are obnoxious as ever, but I expect that. Some are sitting near us, usually shi! faced drunk, but fun. They were amazed when I did a very loud false shot-clock count down that caused a Baylor player to rush, and miss, a shot. Remember, this is a small gym and sometimes a loud (big mouth like me) can be heard. VCYon was giving Jamie Luckie he11 the entire game and a couple UConn fans asked which he was, and they joined in. Fun times.

For the UConn game I'm going to concentrate on Hurley. He was at half-court most of the game yesterday. The refs mostly let him get away with it. That is not going to happen today. If he does it again, during the nice quite timeouts I'll make sure they are aware of his conduct!

All in all I'm excited for this team. They are getting better. And it shows.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member

Yeah don’t get me wrong. Curry has an important role on this team, and deserves to play. I think it’s a different role than he is currently in though

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Kern led all with a +14 showing in his 14 mins played. Next closest was Deloach -2 in 10 min. All starters were in the - but curry was -24 in his 26 mins.

We need more productivity from KeShawn to be a good team this year...OR, coach might reconsider how many minutes he's playing.

Here's the situation: KeShawn is 10th on our team in player efficiency rating and over box plus/minus...but he's first in minutes played. Not fourth or fifth...first. It's an extremely similar situation to the 2019-2020 season where Kel Simms dominated the 4 spot, finished 4th on the team in minutes played but 11th in PER and 7th in overall +/-. The issue is coach is clearly not confident with his options at the 2. Banks ranks last on the team in PER and +/-, so he's not considering him as an option with 5 total minutes the past two games against these tough team... and he's clearly not confident enough with Kern there either.

I personally think some Vince at the 2 and just going REALLY big with MBJ at the 3 would be a fun option, or more of the Nunn/Tsohonis backcourt, but I also think Kern digging into more of KeShawn's minutes might not be a bad idea either. Nick ranks 6th in both PER and +/- but is also 4th in rebound % and steals %, so at least addresses the rebound issue a bit. Statistically he's just been a more efficient option for us at the 2 despite his status as lowly freshman, so hopefully this isn't one of those 2019-2020 season things where coach's respect for seniority ends up hurting us.

We need more productivity from KeShawn to be a good team this year...OR, coach might reconsider how many minutes he's playing.

Here's the situation: KeShawn is 10th on our team in player efficiency rating and over box plus/minus...but he's first in minutes played. Not fourth or fifth...first. It's an extremely similar situation to the 2019-2020 season where Kel Simms dominated the 4 spot, finished 4th on the team in minutes played but 11th in PER and 7th in overall +/-. The issue is coach is clearly not confident with his options at the 2. Banks ranks last on the team in PER and +/-, so he's not considering him as an option with 5 total minutes the past two games against these tough team... and he's clearly not confident enough with Kern there either.

I personally think some Vince at the 2 and just going REALLY big with MBJ at the 3 would be a fun option, or more of the Nunn/Tsohonis backcourt, but I also think Kern digging into more of KeShawn's minutes might not be a bad idea either. Nick ranks 6th in both PER and +/- but is also 4th in rebound % and steals %, so at least addresses the rebound issue a bit. Statistically he's just been a more efficient option for us at the 2 despite his status as lowly freshman, so hopefully this isn't one of those 2019-2020 season things where coach's respect for seniority ends up hurting us.
I agree with everything you have mentioned except more of Vince at the 2. I think he needs to handle the ball less, and is more effective as a catch and shoot option. Good analysis!

Violet Ram

Elite Member

I think some of this will be resolved when Ace comes back. It allows Nunn and Tsohonis to play a bulk of their minutes at the 2. But I do like your suggestions. You can see Kern is almost there. He makes a lot of good decisions and is close to finishing them.

HBK

Elite Member
I agree with everything you have mentioned except more of Vince at the 2. I think he needs to handle the ball less, and is more effective as a catch and shoot option. Good analysis!
With Ace out, right now Vince is the best passer and facilitator on the team.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
3 things:

1. Stockard's newly found low post production has open up the perimeter game.

2. Kern, in spite of getting hurt, yesterday is our most efficient player in both ends of the court. He plays aggressive but discipline man 2 man defense. Makes very good decisions with the ball. Takes good shots all the time. Never stops playing. When he makes a mistake, its onto the next play.

3. Our front line has to stop turning the ball over; as a group, they were responsible for 13 of 19 turnovers. We cannot give the ball away on post touches bad interior passes and in handling the ball transition (vince).

thelonious_chunk

Elite Member
I’ll just say if Baylor is 6th in the nation, then we should be Top 25.

Also, I have never seen a VCU freshman pg play the defense Nunn is capable of. It’s not even close. He was lock down today.
We may have been spoiled by Baldwin last year, but Nunn is playing incredibly well for a freshman who has been thrown into the fire.

Kenpom has our offense 243rd after last night. Add Baldwin and Watkins back in and I would put money on the VCU moneyline in a rematch. We only need a bit more offense to compete at an elite level. We’ll have fewer turnovers when Baldwin returns as well. This team looks so much better compared to even just a week ago.