The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Wolfpack, I loved playing ODU for years even after we both left the CAA. I'm a lot younger than a lot of the posters on here because our famous CAA tournament battles at The Brown Turd ranged from my elementary to high school years, but I do remember those battles and I still have a nostalgic feeling when I watch old highlights on Youtube.

But please answer this question - how does facing the same Conference USA team every season help VCU? We've put together a worthy at-large profile 6 of the last 7 seasons. This Saturday we play an ODU team that could have a potentially bad NET ranking. Beating them is more about avoiding a bad loss at this point.
The annual fodu game has not hurt VCU's NET ranking. You can pick plenty of other teams, both OOC and A-10, but fodu has not been one of them. Also, just because fodu is having a bad year this year, that doesn't mean they will be down forever. This rivalry has last through both schools being in the same conference, both schools being in different conferences (multiple times) and each team having down years. It's a rivalry that has survived for a reason.

And for the record, lot's of schools nationwide have annual rivalry games with other in-state schools that are not in their conference.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Last year was ODU's BEST result over the last 8 years (and the only time it made the Tournament during that time) and its NET still was only 101. CUSA is a ratings killer. This year doesn't look promising at all. Here are a number of teams that had significantly better numbers than ODU last year:

Wofford (14)
Buffalo (18)
Lipscomb (37)
Belmont (39)
Murray State (43)
Liberty (53)
Furman (58)
Vermont (61)
Hofstra (76)
Northeastern (86)

Just think we might want to reconsider the home and home thing or at least not just default to them because of the past. We left the CAA a long time ago.
You know VCU and ODU have been playing every year pretty much since both have been in Division 1, right? And a lot of those schools you listed aren't having nearly as good a season this year. ODU isn't Towson (thought they DID go on the road a few weeks ago to beat the Northeastern team that you think is a more worthy OOC foe), and even though they'll probably get waxed Saturday, there's no chance they fall off the schedule. None.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
You know VCU and ODU have been playing every year pretty much since both have been in Division 1, right? And a lot of those schools you listed aren't having nearly as good a season this year. ODU isn't Towson (thought they DID go on the road a few weeks ago to beat the Northeastern team that you think is a more worthy OOC foe), and even though they'll probably get waxed Saturday, there's no chance they fall off the schedule. None.
I went to my first VCU/ODU game in 1977. When we've been in the same conference, I cared. When we weren't, I didn't. We're 8 seasons removed from being in the CAA with them. I really don't care.

You can pick out one game, but they're 3-6 and have lost to James Madison, William & Mary, Loyola and GMU. Last year was their best season in years and their NET was still 101. It's not going to get any better when they play in CUSA. Of the 9 teams mentioned, 8 of them still are rated significantly better this season than ODU in Kenpom. Four of them are in the top 100; two in the top 75.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Actually, the VCU/fodu rivalry goes back to when both teams were DII.

Reactions: Ramlove81

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
I went to my first VCU/ODU game in 1977. When we've been in the same conference, I cared. When we weren't, I didn't. We're 8 seasons removed from being in the CAA with them. I really don't care.

You can pick out one game, but they're 3-6 and have lost to James Madison, William & Mary, Loyola and GMU. Last year was their best season in years and their NET was still 101. It's not going to get any better when they play in CUSA. Of the 9 teams mentioned, 8 of them still are rated significantly better this season than ODU in Kenpom. Four of them are in the top 100; two in the top 75.
Rivalries aren't decided by the desires of one fan. The VCU/ODU game isn't leaving each others' schedules.

Nov 28, 2018
Last year was ODU's BEST result over the last 8 years (and the only time it made the Tournament during that time) and its NET still was only 101. CUSA is a ratings killer. This year doesn't look promising at all. Here are a number of teams that had significantly better numbers than ODU last year:

Wofford (14)
Buffalo (18)
Lipscomb (37)
Belmont (39)
Murray State (43)
Liberty (53)
Furman (58)
Vermont (61)
Hofstra (76)
Northeastern (86)

Just think we might want to reconsider the home and home thing or at least not just default to them because of the past. We left the CAA a long time ago.
I'd be perfectly fine with replacing ODU with Belmont or Murray State. No need to cherry pick a good year. They have proven they can reach at least the NIT on a fairly regular basis, unlike the dirty boyz. Absolutely willing to drop this "rivalry" and demote OD to "some other VA school."

Reactions: Ramcounter and VRam