The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Eventually it will. As people die off. We’re a basketball school. They aren’t anymore.
we can never delete dirty from the schedule. never. even if they suck so much they hurt our net rating. to say that they should be is insane. they are our biggest in state rivalry. id rather delete g m forkin u forever.

Reactions: Newboy
Dec 2, 2012
we can never delete dirty from the schedule. never. even if they suck so much they hurt our net rating. to say that they should be is insane. they are our biggest in state rivalry. id rather delete g m forkin u forever.
We're better than that.
Its us and boring old UVA in a battle for the state, i would rather we were punching up.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Interesting that the top 6 teams in the A10 are a combined 42-6. Most impressive wins thus far would have to be by Dayton (VT, Georgia, and a close loss to KU), UR (Vandy, Wisconsin, and BC), and VCU (LSU). Sure would have been nice to have won 1 of the last 2, especially when you consider that we lost by 3 to Purdue and they trashed UVA by 29 last night.
Mason is 9-1 but they haven't played anyone of note.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Interesting that the top 6 teams in the A10 are a combined 42-6. Most impressive wins thus far would have to be by Dayton (VT, Georgia, and a close loss to KU), UR (Vandy, Wisconsin, and BC), and VCU (LSU). Sure would have been nice to have won 1 of the last 2, especially when you consider that we lost by 3 to Purdue and they trashed UVA by 29 last night.
I didn't realize a 3 pt loss to KU counted as a win 🤷‍♂️

Tbh, the only bonafide good win on that list is LSU.

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010
I wonder if there is a big divide based on age. I am scared to do the math on how old the current college freshman were during the CAA days.
I think it is. I became a student and fan in 2009, wouldn't mind dropping the series. The game feels like any other in the non-con, but more like a landmine since their play has dropped off. I'm not sure there's a better alternative, so I understand keeping it. It just doesn't move the needle for me (or those in my friends groups) like it seems for others.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
Seriously, beating Vandy, Wisconsin, and BC are nothing to get excited about, particularly since they had to go into OT to beat Vanderbilt. Wisconsin is a nice enough win, but KenPom has them ranked at #60. At best, it's a Quad 2 win, since they played in Richmond. Meanwhile, Boston College is ranked 147 and Vanderbilt is ranked 122. It's always great to win against a power 5 school, but these are the bottom feeders from those conferences.

Here are Dayton's "resume win" KenPom rankings:
Virginia Tech: 54 (neutral court win)
Georgia: 64 (neutral court win)

LSU is ranked at 32 ... three spots ahead of VCU right now.

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID ... these wins are better than what we saw in non-conference play around the A10 last year, for sure.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I'm hoping you would have been wrong about Mason.

You friggin' old codgers.
Speaking of old, I was thinking back on this series. I think it was my freshman year at VCU when the team won the Sun Belt championship in Hampton over ODU. That was quite a game. That ODU team and their 2011 team might have been two of their best but it came at a time when VCU had two of their most historic teams. The last JD squad and the Final Four team. I do remember some great VCU teams in the Kirk era as well but since I was not living in RVA I do not remember the rivalry back then.