The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
My least favorite ODU memory was traveling to Norfolk for the ODU/VCU game in the first round of the NIT in 1993. That was a killer. I was sitting with a buddy who had no rooting interest and another buddy who went to VCU then transferred to ODU. Neither of them could understand why I was so pissed off after the game.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Speaking of old, I was thinking back on this series. I think it was my freshman year at VCU when the team won the Sun Belt championship in Hampton over ODU. That was quite a game. That ODU team and their 2011 team might have been two of their best but it came at a time when VCU had two of their most historic teams. The last JD squad and the Final Four team. I do remember some great VCU teams in the Kirk era as well but since I was not living in RVA I do not remember the rivalry back then.
The Sun Belt Championship over ODU was 1985. I was there. That's when they were doing the JD Auburn chants and we VCU folks chanted back NIT. I believe ODU did still make the dance that year, as did UAB and one other Sun Belt team (UNCC?).

The 1979 (Kirk's last season) game (there for that one too) was where we got screwed on the 5 second call. We had the ball with one second to go and they called a 5 second violation on the inbounds play. I remember Dana replaying it over and over on his coaches show demonstrating that it was only 3 1/2 seconds. ODU was awarded the ball and a guy named Conrad hit the game winner at the buzzer (that was before tenths of seconds were even shown on the game clock). Knocked us out of the ECAC playoffs. ODU went on to defeat Georgetown for the ECAC South Championship. We won it the year before over Georgetown.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
Most impressive wins thus far would have to be by Dayton (VT, Georgia, and a close loss to KU), UR (Vandy, Wisconsin, and BC), and VCU (LSU).
Boston College and Vanderbilt combined to go 5-31 in conference play last season. Those are not marquee wins. They are punching bags for the big boys in their respective conferences.

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Speaking of old, I was thinking back on this series. I think it was my freshman year at VCU when the team won the Sun Belt championship in Hampton over ODU. That was quite a game. That ODU team and their 2011 team might have been two of their best but it came at a time when VCU had two of their most historic teams. The last JD squad and the Final Four team. I do remember some great VCU teams in the Kirk era as well but since I was not living in RVA I do not remember the rivalry back then.
February 1979, Richmond Coliseum. fodu won 72-71 in OT. That game may have been the most intense game I have seen between the two teams. Somebody threw a Budweiser tall boy from the upper deck across the court and hit Paul Webb in the chest. He ended up catching the beer in his hand. Also, a fodu mail cheerleader went after Danny Kottak on the court during the game and VCU fans came out of the stands after the cheerleader. (The reason the cheerleader went after Danny is a story for another time.) The game went into OT and during OT, VCU was called for a 5 second call for not in-bounding the ball in time. Replay should it was only 3.8 seconds when the ref blew the whistle. fodu ended up winning and Tommy Conrad ran over to the VCU fans and started screaming F*** You at them at the top of his lungs. Mike Pollio, who was an assistant at fodu at the time, had to come running out of the fodu locker room, pick up Tommy Conrad and run back to the locker room with him before the VCU fans could reach him.

Probably the most intense game I have ever witnessed in my life, and the type of game that makes you a hater of fodu for life. There is a ton of history in this rivalry over the years. Just because the VCU Millennials have short term memory of this series, it doesn't mean the rivalry is no longer there. And let's not forget - fodu won this game last year. VCU only holds a 6 game lead in this series. And you can bet this game means something to Marcus Evans and Mike'L Simms.

May 5, 2009
Pack. Trying to remember the ref’s name? John Moreau? He made the call. His name will live in infamy.

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
February 1979, Richmond Coliseum. fodu won 72-71 in OT. That game may have been the most intense game I have seen between the two teams. Somebody threw a Budweiser tall boy from the upper deck across the court and hit Paul Webb in the chest. He ended up catching the beer in his hand. Also, a fodu mail cheerleader went after Danny Kottak on the court during the game and VCU fans came out of the stands after the cheerleader. (The reason the cheerleader went after Danny is a story for another time.) The game went into OT and during OT, VCU was called for a 5 second call for not in-bounding the ball in time. Replay should it was only 3.8 seconds when the ref blew the whistle. fodu ended up winning and Tommy Conrad ran over to the VCU fans and started screaming F*** You at them at the top of his lungs. Mike Pollio, who was an assistant at fodu at the time, had to come running out of the fodu locker room, pick up Tommy Conrad and run back to the locker room with him before the VCU fans could reach him.

Probably the most intense game I have ever witnessed in my life, and the type of game that makes you a hater of fodu for life. There is a ton of history in this rivalry over the years. Just because the VCU Millennials have short term memory of this series, it doesn't mean the rivalry is no longer there. And let's not forget - fodu won this game last year. VCU only holds a 6 game lead in this series. And you can bet this game means something to Marcus Evans and Mike'L Simms.
History is necessary for a true rivalry, but it isn't sufficient. The Dodgers and Yankees have a lot of history and used to be rivals, but I doubt anyone would claim they're still rivals. If ODU were to drop down to DII or just closed down, I doubt anyone would still claim them as rivals.

I think the only question, at least giving the current trajectory, is if the rivalry is fading or dead

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009

Do you remember how we got to OT?

Hints: Tim Harris; pre-three point shot; and Ren Watson does something I had never seen him do before.

Last edited:

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
The Sun Belt Championship over ODU was 1985. I was there. That's when they were doing the JD Auburn chants and we VCU folks chanted back NIT. I believe ODU did still make the dance that year, as did UAB and one other Sun Belt team (UNCC?).
Besides maybe the NCAA game at the Meadowlands against NU, this is my favorite all time VCU game. The game was intense all 40 minutes, I am so glad I was there

Reactions: Mike in KY

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
I’ll be dipped it I can remember the year, it was at odu and both teams shot the lights out- I want to say that both teams were around 60% for the game?
Search fail I can’t find old game summaries of anything other than final scores and it’s frustrating the crap out of me.
grrrr

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Besides maybe the NCAA game at the Meadowlands against NU, this is my favorite all time VCU game. The game was intense all 40 minutes, I am so glad I was there
Was at the NU game too. Sat with UVa fans (they played Iona and Jeff Ruland in the second game), who were very supportive of the Rams that night. That was a wild scene at the end. Up there with the FSU finish, which is my favorite. Had a perfect seat for that last play.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012

The 1979 (Kirk's last season) game (there for that one too) was where we got screwed on the 5 second call. We had the ball with one second to go and they called a 5 second violation on the inbounds play. I remember Dana replaying it over and over on his coaches show demonstrating that it was only 3 1/2 seconds. ODU was awarded the ball and a guy named Conrad hit the game winner at the buzzer (that was before tenths of seconds were even shown on the game clock). Knocked us out of the ECAC playoffs. ODU went on to defeat Georgetown for the ECAC South Championship. We won it the year before over Georgetown.
Bruce Radar of WAVY did a throwback Thursday story on that game.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Pack. Trying to remember the ref’s name? John Moreau? He made the call. His name will live in infamy.
@mike7842, you are correct. It was John Moreau. He lives in Richmond and was a big time ACC ref. I think he has done some consulting work with the A-10 in the past. He's been in the Stu and actually sat at the scorer's table during A-10 games.