The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
John Mareau was the Carl Hess of his time.
Actually, Carl Hess was the Lenny Wertz of his time. Lenny Wertz, Carl Hess and Ted Valentine are truly the Three Stooges of college basketball officiating. And, Mike Eades is on deck as Shemp.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Boston College and Vanderbilt combined to go 5-31 in conference play last season. Those are not marquee wins. They are punching bags for the big boys in their respective conferences.
You mean like Towson and Fordham in the CAA and A10?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Sending out a challenge to the VCU Millennials to show me data that backs up their reasoning why VCU should end the series with fodu. Data needs to show how they hurt VCU's NET ranking compared to other OOC games VCU schedules. (St. Francis, PA, FGCU, North Texas, Loyola, MD, Gardner-Webb, Iona, Rider) In addition, please list logical alternatives to having fodu on the schedule - and it can't be a wish list. It has to be schools VCU has a real shot at scheduling.

Just don't throw this series under the proverbial I-64 bus. Prove to me why it needs to end.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
Sending out a challenge to the VCU Millennials to show me data that backs up their reasoning why VCU should end the series with fodu. Data needs to show how they hurt VCU's NET ranking compared to other OOC games VCU schedules. (St. Francis, PA, FGCU, North Texas, Loyola, MD, Gardner-Webb, Iona, Rider) In addition, please list logical alternatives to having fodu on the schedule - and it can't be a wish list. It has to be schools VCU has a real shot at scheduling.
Most of those OOC games listed are pretty crap and I’m fine if we drop those too. I say we drop ODU in favor of UVA/VT/any of those other great mid-majors listed a few pages back. I’m sure we’ll keep it but the rivalry has lost its fire and it’s basically a trap we can fall in.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Actually, the VCU/fodu rivalry goes back to when both teams were DII.
Saw a couple of those games, DII and newly moved to DI, when I was growing up in Norfolk and an ODU fan. I remember other ODU fans talking about the "dump" (Franklin St. Gym) they had to play in when they played at VCU, while ODU was playing in their brand new field house. Later I was a student at VCU and loved games at Franklin St. Our little "dump" gym rocked like nothing I had ever experienced (including ODU's fancy field house). Of course we soon played all our games at the Coliseum. The ODU rivalry isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Phil Braswell

Top Member
Jun 24, 2015
Most of those OOC games listed are pretty crap and I’m fine if we drop those too. I say we drop ODU in favor of UVA/VT/any of those other great mid-majors listed a few pages back. I’m sure we’ll keep it but the rivalry has lost its fire and it’s basically a trap we can fall in.
You think the ODU rivalry has lost it's fire, see what happens if we should lose. Remember, we had a great team last year and completely dominated ODU in the first half and got blown out in the second and lost! ODU and Richmond are games we don't want to lose. The top 5 teams in the state are UVA, Tech, VCU, Richmond, and ODU. They are always important games to win. in 1968, I enrolled at VCU and fell in love with the basketball program. Beating ODU and Richmond was huge back then and it still is today for me. Any thing but a win is a big set-back. ODU has lost 5 straight so we need to really win this game big.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
You think the ODU rivalry has lost it's fire, see what happens if we should lose. Remember, we had a great team last year and completely dominated ODU in the first half and got blown out in the second and lost! ODU and Richmond are games we don't want to lose. The top 5 teams in the state are UVA, Tech, VCU, Richmond, and ODU. They are always important games to win. in 1968, I enrolled at VCU and fell in love with the basketball program. Beating ODU and Richmond was huge back then and it still is today for me. Any thing but a win is a big set-back. ODU has lost 5 straight so we need to really win this game big.
Yes, because everyone has been rejoicing since losing to Purdue and Tennessee.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Jerry Stone was also a piece of work when it came to basketball officiating. He also lives in Richmond and attends VCU games on a regular basis. Jerry loves to hear himself talk.
Jerry, I believe is a VCU grad and works for the AD.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
You mean like Towson and Fordham in the CAA and A10?
the other person was saying wins over BC and Vandy counted as "impressive A10 wins". I fail to see how your comment has any relevance nobody is saying a win over either of those is anything to be proud of.

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015

Just don't throw this series under the proverbial I-64 bus. Prove to me why it needs to end.
Okay, that's pretty easy.

First, some of those games were part of the exempt tournament, e.g. UNT. So unless you think ODU > UNT, Purdue, Tenn, we can agree those home OOC tournament bouts are better games.

Second, ODU is a H&H, which, obviously, means VCU has to play @ODU. Going from the Stu to an away game is worth 7 points. Why give a team that can barely crack the top 100 in NET in one of its best seasons that kind of advantage? Even if we win, it's still, at best, only a Q2 game. Where's the upside for taking such a risk?

Third, VCU likely makes more in a buy-game than a H&H series with ODU. Home game are valuable because of ticket and concession sales. Giving ODU a H&H removes a home game every other year. That's not even considering the goodwill aspects of home games.

Finally, buy games picked right, allow VCU to try and create a balanced schedule of tune up games and quality opponents on a yearly basis instead of being stuck gambling on whatever ODU will be that year.

In sum, I would say all else being equal, it would behoove VCU to eliminate the ODU H&H and try and get a marquee or competitive neutral site game every other year and pair that with a "big" buy-game the other years. heck, we could even make ODU the buy game when it's worth it.