The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Yes it did. Those examples were exceptions. The vast majority of Top 50 NET teams danced.

NC State had a historically weak NCSOS of 353 which helped inflate their NET.

There will always be a few outliers (i.e. NET does not align with win-loss results). Same was true for RPI. By and large, though, Top 50 NETs will generally align with qualified dance resumes/credentials.
NC State plays in the toughest conference though and beat Auburn Out of conference last year who was a 5 seed and made the final four. Anyways those examples show that the NET isn’t much of an indicator of making the dance. That’s a huge difference between a team with a NET of 33 not making it while a team with a NET of 73 making it. 40 point NET difference.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
NC State plays in the toughest conference though and beat Auburn Out of conference last year who was a 5 seed and made the final four. Anyways those examples show that the NET isn’t much of an indicator of making the dance. That’s a huge difference between a team with a NET of 33 not making it while a team with a NET of 73 making it. 40 point NET difference.
Top 50 NET in 2019 = 42 of the 50 made the dance. 41 of the Top 45 made it (Top 11-12 seeds). Top 32 all made the dance.

A select few outside the Top 50 made it (Top 11-12 seeds).
Oregon - 51
Temple - 56 (First Four)
Seton Hall - 57
Minn - 61
Ariz St - 63 (First Four)
St Johns - 73 (First Four)

Seeds 12-16 are for primarily for one-bid leagues.

Bottom line: By and large, Top 45 NET is a pretty good cut line (range). Most inside the Top 45 make it. Most outside the Top 45 don’t (unless you’re a one-bid league auto qualifier). Of course, NET is brand new but that’s what Year One yielded.

VCU would do well to get/keep that NET at or under 45 (to be fairly/somewhat safe in March).

Reactions: PuddinDaStunna

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Top 50 NET in 2019 = 42 of the 50 made the dance. 41 of the Top 45 made it (Top 11-12 seeds). Top 32 all made the dance.

A select few outside the Top 50 made it (Top 11-12 seeds).
Oregon - 51
Temple - 56 (First Four)
Seton Hall - 57
Minn - 61
Ariz St - 63 (First Four)
St Johns - 73 (First Four)

Seeds 12-16 are for primarily for one-bid leagues.

Bottom line: By and large, Top 45 NET is a pretty good cut line (range). Most inside the Top 45 make it. Most outside the Top 45 don’t (unless you’re a one-bid league auto qualifier). Of course, NET is brand new but that’s what Year One yielded.

VCU would do well to get/keep that NET at or under 45 (to be fairly/somewhat safe in March).
I’ll agree that I want us to position ourselves greatly in every metric but I won’t freak out if our NET ranking isn’t great.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
In other news, shockingly, an actual human being with a pulse signed on to coach ODU football.

Does he realize he has to live in or around Norfolk. Is the airport there even functional? Last time I flew in there the moldy ceilings were caved in. Not even kidding.

Guess the guy figures he can take some of their money for a few years.

As for his name, don’t remember. It doesn’t really matter.