The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Why do we still play those losers?
I used to enjoy this game even after we both left the CAA, but I think it is time to drop it. The only season since we joined the A10 that ODU has produced a respectable at-large profile was 2014-2015 when they were one of the Last Four Out of the field and were a 1 seed in the NIT.

I tried for a while to respect the rivalry and not sound high and mighty that VCU is a powerful program and we have no business playing little ODU in the C-USA, but there is no reason anymore. I hope EM & MR think the same way. I would rather play 4 or 5 cupcakes at the Siegel Center along w/ 7-9 good to solid opponents then have to switch off home and away w/ the 'Narchs every season.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I used to enjoy this game even after we both left the CAA, but I think it is time to drop it. The only season since we joined the A10 that ODU has produced a respectable at-large profile was 2014-2015 when they were one of the Last Four Out of the field and were a 1 seed in the NIT.

I tried for a while to respect the rivalry and not sound high and mighty that VCU is a powerful program and we have no business playing little ODU in the C-USA, but there is no reason anymore. I hope EM & MR think the same way. I would rather play 4 or 5 cupcakes at the Siegel Center along w/ 7-9 good to solid opponents then have to switch off home and away w/ the 'Narchs every season.
Completely agree. It's no longer an exciting rivalry for VCU.

Reactions: RESRam

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Drop it for what game? Why would you want to drop a team from your OOC schedule that has won 25 or more games 4 out of the last 5 years and went to the NCAA Tournament last year? fodu is still a decent OOC game for VCU, especially compared to the FGCU's and St. Francis' of the world. And it is an in-state game which still has some bragging rights and brings some recruiting exposure in the 757. And let's not forget who won last year. fodu still has some hop in their game and anything can happen in a rivalry game. VCU would be crazy to drop this series.

Feb 14, 2011

Aside from the fact that some of us old folks struggle to get over the hate from the past. I don't consider fodu an automatic cup cake. On average they are a relatively solid opponent. I wouldn't mind every other year but who would we schedule instead of fodu? JMU, Radford, W&M, Longwood? Like it or not, we're still a mid-major program and scheduling top 50-75 opponents is easier said than done going into conference play. VCU fans have become pretty arrogant in recent years. Then along comes a "rival" that decides to "humble" us a little. (some of us anyway)

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Drop it for what game? Why would you want to drop a team from your OOC schedule that has won 25 or more games 4 out of the last 5 years and went to the NCAA Tournament last year? fodu is still a decent OOC game for VCU, especially compared to the FGCU's and St. Francis' of the world. And it is an in-state game which still has some bragging rights and brings some recruiting exposure in the 757. And let's not forget who won last year. fodu still has some hop in their game and anything can happen in a rivalry game. VCU would be crazy to drop this series.
Usually a great atmosphere....place should be rocking. Bring em on

Feb 14, 2011
A quick WIKI history lesson:

The rivalry between Virginia Commonwealth University and Old Dominion University exists primarily because of the similar histories of the two Virginia public universities. Both schools have historic affiliations with The College of William & Mary (W&M). One of VCU's predecessor institutions, the Richmond Professional Institute (RPI), became part of W&M in 1925. ODU was founded in 1930 as the Norfolk Division of W&M.[3] In addition, from 1960 to 1962, both RPI and the Norfolk Division were part of The Colleges of William & Mary, a short-lived university system consisting of W&M and its affiliated institutions.
VCU, located in the state capital of Richmond, is just 90 miles down Interstate 64 from ODU, located in Norfolk. Both schools are major research universities located in an urban environment. They are also both very large universities consisting of a diverse student body; with students primarily coming from middle-class backgrounds.
Throughout much of the history of the rivalry, ODU and VCU had been in the same conference, most recently the Colonial Athletic Association. This ended after the 2011–12 season when VCU joined the Atlantic 10 Conference. ODU left the CAA for Conference USA a year later.

Rick Kiefner, a 1969 graduate of ODU who worked on Saturday's radio broadcast of the game, tells a story that he thinks best reflects the beginnings of the intensity - and animosity - between the programs. During the 1970 season, Kiefner was part of a group of about 50 ODU fans who chartered a bus to Richmond for a game at VCU's old Franklin Street gym. After mailing a check for the tickets, the ODU group received a package in return from VCU. But no tickets were inside. Instead, somebody had sent a box of screws.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
A quick WIKI history lesson:

The rivalry between Virginia Commonwealth University and Old Dominion University exists primarily because of the similar histories of the two Virginia public universities. Both schools have historic affiliations with The College of William & Mary (W&M). One of VCU's predecessor institutions, the Richmond Professional Institute (RPI), became part of W&M in 1925. ODU was founded in 1930 as the Norfolk Division of W&M.[3] In addition, from 1960 to 1962, both RPI and the Norfolk Division were part of The Colleges of William & Mary, a short-lived university system consisting of W&M and its affiliated institutions.
VCU, located in the state capital of Richmond, is just 90 miles down Interstate 64 from ODU, located in Norfolk. Both schools are major research universities located in an urban environment. They are also both very large universities consisting of a diverse student body; with students primarily coming from middle-class backgrounds.
Throughout much of the history of the rivalry, ODU and VCU had been in the same conference, most recently the Colonial Athletic Association. This ended after the 2011–12 season when VCU joined the Atlantic 10 Conference. ODU left the CAA for Conference USA a year later.

Rick Kiefner, a 1969 graduate of ODU who worked on Saturday's radio broadcast of the game, tells a story that he thinks best reflects the beginnings of the intensity - and animosity - between the programs. During the 1970 season, Kiefner was part of a group of about 50 ODU fans who chartered a bus to Richmond for a game at VCU's old Franklin Street gym. After mailing a check for the tickets, the ODU group received a package in return from VCU. But no tickets were inside. Instead, somebody had sent a box of screws.
I'll guarantee you every die hard VCU fan that became a fan prior to 2011 has a rivalry story to tell regarding the VCU/fodu rivalry. At one point is was considered one of the most heated basketball rivalries in the country. And now some VCU fans want to drop it? :shock: :shock::shock:

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Aside from the fact that some of us old folks struggle to get over the hate from the past. I don't consider fodu an automatic cup cake. On average they are a relatively solid opponent. I wouldn't mind every other year but who would we schedule instead of fodu? JMU, Radford, W&M, Longwood? Like it or not, we're still a mid-major program and scheduling top 50-75 opponents is easier said than done going into conference play. VCU fans have become pretty arrogant in recent years. Then along comes a "rival" that decides to "humble" us a little. (some of us anyway)
ODU RPI since we left the CAA:

2013 318
2014 170
2015 46
2016 140
2017 136
2018 75
2019 64
2020 212 (projected)

One NCAA Tournament appearance during that time.

I think we should certainly be open to other possibilities. Maybe we just play them at home every once in awhile. And we pull the ticket trick on them again.

Last edited:

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
They’ve lost 4 of the last 5 games in their series with W&M and 5 straight games in Williamsburg going back to the 2011-2012 season when they had their last win at Kaplan Arena.

ODU has lost to James Madison, George Mason and W&M during their current 5 game losing streak.

VCU will be heavily favored as they should be.