The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I'll guarantee you every die hard game VCU fan that became a fan prior to 2011 has a rivalry story to tell regarding the VCU/fodu rivalry.
Oh no doubt. One of my best buds is an ODU grad. During the peak of the CAA days he and his band of subnormal, miscreant friends would head up every March for tourney weekend. Dudes were an absolute riot.

One year, everyone took off work on pillow fight Friday just to go see Northeastern play in the early game. One dude managed to get completely hammered by 10am, then bought great seats near the court with the sole intention of pissing off JJ Barea. We were all down there, and I tell you what this was ball busting level red. There couldn’t have been more than 100 people there and here is this sloppy guy verbally hammering this guy nonstop. Barea was so confused. At one point the whole arena became silent and everyone stopped to look over. I mean refs, coaches, everyone.

He was eventually ushered out but it was classic while it lasted.

I like to give ODU a hard time, but I tell you what, there was nobody crazier and more fun to watch hoops with than those idiots.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Drop it for what game? Why would you want to drop a team from your OOC schedule that has won 25 or more games 4 out of the last 5 years and went to the NCAA Tournament last year? fodu is still a decent OOC game for VCU, especially compared to the FGCU's and St. Francis' of the world. And it is an in-state game which still has some bragging rights and brings some recruiting exposure in the 757. And let's not forget who won last year. fodu still has some hop in their game and anything can happen in a rivalry game. VCU would be crazy to drop this series.
Bragging rights have gone with this rivalry. The freshman this year were in grade school last time the two schools matched up for a conference game.

As for your question.... If we dropped ODU for a home and home vs an American or Mountain West school, then I would be happy. I know that’s easier said than done. But for an A10 school that has produced an at-large worthy profile in 6 of the 7 seasons since joining the conference, a home and home series w/ a Conference-USA opponent is a lose-lose situation.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
I think our basketball team could beat them in football. We literally won the same amount of FBS games as they did. So glad we invested in our basketball program instead of throwing money at two dead programs. What a joke they've become.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bring back Blaine.
For obvious reasons it can’t happen, but there’s no question a sober Blaine Taylor is a better coach than Jeff Jones.

Blaine completely falling off the sobriety cliff was the beginning of the end of ODU’s relevance in the basketball world. Hiring Jeff Jones confirmed it and moving to C-USA basically sealed it barring some seismic shift in the realignment landscape.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I'd be good with giving up this series. Serves us no benefit and doesn't feel like a rival at all anymore.
You guys are starting to sound like UVA and VA Tech fans prior to 2011 when it came to playing VCU. VCU only leads the series by 6 games, 50-44, and fodu has beaten VCU two out of the last three times the teams have played in Norfolk. Rivalries like this one can be cyclical. From January 1997 to January 2001, fodu beat VCU 8 out of 10 meetings, but they kept playing.

Some of you posters need to get off your high horse and remember where VCU came from. You guys are starting to treat other Virgina state schools as second class citizens just as UVA and VA Tech did to VCU for years.

Last edited:

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
You guys are starting to sound like UVA and VA Tech fans prior to 2011 when it came to playing VCU. VCU only leads the series by 6 games, 50-44, and fodu has beaten VCU two out of the last three times the teams have played in Norfolk. Rivalries like this one can be cyclical. From January 1997 to January 2001, fodu beat VCU 8 out of 10 meetings, but they kept playing.

Some of you posters need to get up off your high horse and remember where VCU came from. You guys are starting to treat other Virgina state schools as second class citizens just as UVA and VA Tech did to VCU for years.
Completely agree. Long time in state rival, traditionally good program. Why wouldn’t we keep playing them? It’s fun, especially when we beat them. Which, as a reminder, we don’t always do. Plus, for Richmond folks, it’s an easy ride down there every other year to a great arena to see an OOC game close to home. What’s not to like?