The Official Beat Ole Dirty in the Animal Thread

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
News flash! fodu went 26-9 last year and went just as deep in the NCAA Tournament as VCU. And, they beat VCU last year. They also beat Syracuse @Syracuse last year. fodu has also won at least 25 games 4 out of the last 5 years.

VCU plays 13 OOC games. The fodu game is NOT anywhere close to being in the bottom half of those games quality wise. And, as P5 conferences go to 20 conference games, those opportunities for P5 games are going to be fewer. Outside of an exempt early season tournament, you can kiss additional P5 games goodbye - unless VCU keeps losing coaches to P5 schools.

You really do need to get off of your VCU high horse.
Wolfpack, I loved playing ODU for years even after we both left the CAA. I'm a lot younger than a lot of the posters on here because our famous CAA tournament battles at The Brown Turd ranged from my elementary to high school years, but I do remember those battles and I still have a nostalgic feeling when I watch old highlights on Youtube.

But please answer this question - how does facing the same Conference USA team every season help VCU? We've put together a worthy at-large profile 6 of the last 7 seasons. This Saturday we play an ODU team that could have a potentially bad NET ranking. Beating them is more about avoiding a bad loss at this point.

Reactions: RamBo and WestEndEd

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Wolfpack, I loved playing ODU for years even after we both left the CAA. I'm a lot younger than a lot of the posters on here because our famous CAA tournament battles at The Brown Turd ranged from my elementary to high school years, but I do remember those battles and I still have a nostalgic feeling when I watch old highlights on Youtube.

But please answer this question - how does facing the same Conference USA team every season help VCU? We've put together a worthy at-large profile 6 of the last 7 seasons. This Saturday we play an ODU team that could have a potentially bad NET ranking. Beating them is more about avoiding a bad loss at this point.
Sometimes it's hard for old people to let go of the past.

Reactions: mrgeode
Nov 19, 2019

Avoiding a bad loss is 70% of our OOC schedule.

Dec 2, 2012
Here's a thought....we make an agreement with C-USA to play whoever the top ranked team is i the conference, if they are still doing that thing were they reshuffle the rankings. We're a well rated team most years, which helps them and the best C-USA team would presumably be a game that helped us.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Who are you replacing them with ?

As Wolfpack said they did just about the same thing VCU did last year.
Below is my post from yesterday. Since then they got roasted again down in Williamsburg. One NCAA appearance in 8 years and they won't be going back anytime soon (they are circling the bowl very quickly). C-USA is currently the 18th ranked conference. The A-10 is currently #7. I think we can do better or should at least try. Even if we win this year, our numbers will take a hit.

ODU RPI since we left the CAA:

2013 318
2014 170
2015 46
2016 140
2017 136
2018 75
2019 64
2020 212 (projected)

One NCAA Tournament appearance during that time.

I think we should certainly be open to other possibilities. Maybe we just play them at home every once in awhile. And we pull the ticket trick on them again.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
VCU is now in a conference with UR and Mason but if they were not those games would have remained. The ODU rivalry has waned but on game day you can bet the 804 and 757 are paying attention. I for one like playing the game.
I'm hoping you would have been wrong about Mason.

You friggin' old codgers.

Reactions: mrgeode and RamBo

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I'm hoping you would have been wrong about Mason.

You friggin' old codgers.
Maybe if Mason would have not joined they would have gone the way of JMU but I am not sure. As far as ODU goes I think it is a good OOC game and I like watching it.

Feb 14, 2011
This entitlement stuff is the same garbage we heard from VT, UVA and others not that long ago. If we are paying attention, there are many consistently good programs that will not play us, not because they are afraid but because VCU is beneath them. Worry about who you play that would hurt your RPI/Net rankings is mid-major basketball. Success breeds success but it also creates monsters.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
V the fodu @FODU/game is the best game of the OOC. Excluding Purdue and Tenn, Abomination I swear, But crushing Monarchs is like the best thing in the world!!

Reactions: senor ram

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
Oh man, scheduling a home and home series with a BETTER team....I wonder if Ed has thought about that? Great idea! Hey, why don't we schedule even more good teams? Does someone have Ed's e-mail so we can let him know?

Seriously, given our lot in life we sign all kinds of h&hs. In recent years Charleston and Liberty come to mind as smaller conference home and homes. odu is both a historical rival, a regional rival, and just about on par with the home and homes we've proven capable of scheduling. I'm not going to look it up but I have to figure that their average Kenpom (or whatever metric you want) is likely higher than Georgia Tech's was when we had them for two years. We play a lot of teams. If you want to advocate bumping off St. Francis for some mythical Mountain West school that's dying to schedule us then go for it, but there's no reason to jettison a series that checks a number of different boxes.

Also, fodu.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Last year was ODU's BEST result over the last 8 years (and the only time it made the Tournament during that time) and its NET still was only 101. CUSA is a ratings killer. This year doesn't look promising at all. Here are a number of teams that had significantly better numbers than ODU last year:

Wofford (14)
Buffalo (18)
Lipscomb (37)
Belmont (39)
Murray State (43)
Liberty (53)
Furman (58)
Vermont (61)
Hofstra (76)
Northeastern (86)

Just think we might want to reconsider the home and home thing or at least not just default to them because of the past. We left the CAA a long time ago.