The Official Beat Saint Joes on Hawk Hill Thread

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Bones came down to Earth a bit last night (scoring wise), but still showing why the future is sunglass wearin' bright. Any word yet on ME ? That kid is getting snake bit with his injuries.
What's crazy is he went for 1-11, only had 3 pts, but was still tied Douglas for the best +/- last night.... followed closely by the return of Crow, and then Curry & Silva

He didn't let his rough shooting night affect the rest of the game & how he played. He appears to be really mentally tough especially for a freshman.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I don’t care if he needs to be yelled at, smacked upside the head, or a right hook to the face.....but someone needs to somehow convince Malik to FINALLY stop being so timid and be way more aggressive with the ball!! For four seasons now, I’ve seen a kid who seems to have way more to give but, rather pass the ball. We need him to shoot!!!!!!
Malik is a team first guy.... that being said... opponents definitely keep an eye out for him when scouting us. Easily our best 3 pt threat when he's healthy.... so a lot of time he's not shooting, because when he gets the ball he's guarded very well. He's a great spot up shooter, it's just a matter of getting him open so he can take a clean look. Before the injury that had him out for a couple weeks... there was a game he went 3-3 from deep in large part because we kept running plays that got him open, and he was knocking them down.

Another game that sticks out in my memory vividly.... was a game at Richmond, (last year I think?)… where we kept getting the ball to him in the corner and he kept knocking down shots.... and then at one point IV went and stood over in his corner, and Malik came over & told him, "Get outta here that's my spot" as he was about to get the ball & knock down yet another 3.

The man has a lot of confidence in his game, but unless the clock is almost out, he's not gonna jack up a well contested 3, when there may be a better option.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Malik is a team first guy.... that being said... opponents definitely keep an eye out for him when scouting us. Easily our best 3 pt threat when he's healthy.... so a lot of time he's not shooting, because when he gets the ball he's guarded very well. He's a great spot up shooter, it's just a matter of getting him open so he can take a clean look. Before the injury that had him out for a couple weeks... there was a game he went 3-3 from deep in large part because we kept running plays that got him open, and he was knocking them down.

Another game that sticks out in my memory vividly.... was a game at Richmond, (last year I think?)… where we kept getting the ball to him in the corner and he kept knocking down shots.... and then at one point IV went and stood over in his corner, and Malik came over & told him, "Get outta here that's my spot" as he was about to get the ball & knock down yet another 3.

The man has a lot of confidence in his game, but unless the clock is almost out, he's not gonna jack up a well contested 3, when there may be a better option.
Malik likes the rims at Tom Gola. The last time VCU visited La Salle he was 5-8 from 3.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
He suffered a concussion at/or around the Dayton game and sat out vs SBU. Took a shoulder to his head and went down hard last night and was pulled for precautionary reasons. Word is it wasn't a concussion and he'll be ready for the LaSalle game.
Personally?? I'd prefer he sit...better safe than sorry

Also regarding last night?? Loved the only 6 Rams turnovers!! Also loved seeing 10 Rams with 10+ minutes. Loved Loved seeing Tre' hit a 3 and McCallister driving the baseline for ANOTHER dunk.

After Saturday?? We should begin to see some separation at the top of the A10 standings.
Also saw McCallister fight for one he11 of a contested rebound on offense.... almost lost it out of bounds, but regained control & kicked it back out so we could set up our offense. Loved seeing that, especially out of a freshman.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

No doubt he has had games where he's lights out on 3s. Just gotta get that out of him more consistently.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Do people on RamNation ever get the feeling that some folks writing about a basketball game may not actually know what they are seeing? I ask because I came across this in the Philly Inquirer story about last night's game. Specifically, the part of the recap that had me laughing was this: "The Hawks (4-15, 0-6 Atlantic 10) looked outmatched from the start against a VCU team (14-5, 4-2) that was the preseason pick for first place in the conference. St. Joseph’s struggled against VCU’s suffocating zone defense and full-court press all night to the tune of 18 turnovers." Does anyone remember us playing zone last night, or in any game this year? :lol:

The link to the story is here: https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/st-joes/saint-josephs-hawks-basketball-vcu-score-stats-highlights-20200122.html

Reactions: Celticguy

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Do people on RamNation ever get the feeling that some folks writing about a basketball game may not actually know what they are seeing? I ask because I came across this in the Philly Inquirer story about last night's game. Specifically, the part of the recap that had me laughing was this: "The Hawks (4-15, 0-6 Atlantic 10) looked outmatched from the start against a VCU team (14-5, 4-2) that was the preseason pick for first place in the conference. St. Joseph’s struggled against VCU’s suffocating zone defense and full-court press all night to the tune of 18 turnovers." Does anyone remember us playing zone last night, or in any game this year? :lol:

The link to the story is here: https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/st-joes/saint-josephs-hawks-basketball-vcu-score-stats-highlights-20200122.html
The zone they're referring to was the gym I guess.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Malik likes the rims at Tom Gola. The last time VCU visited La Salle he was 5-8 from 3.
You know who else might enjoy this game Saturday? DJ. the same game that Crow went 5-8 from 3.... DJ went 4-9 from 3, and 7-13 overall from the field.

Both of em combined for 37 points. IV also had 14 points that day (5-13 FG, 1-4 3pt, 3-4 FT).