The Official Beat Saint Joes on Hawk Hill Thread

Aug 3, 2012
Do you have tickets? I was planning on going, but I cannot.

I have three good seats for anyone interested. I'll take $20 each for them, which is less than half the cost.

Seats are Section 202, Row 2, Seats 7, 8 and 9.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, just shoot me a PM and we'll work out getting them to you before you leave. I can meet most anywhere in the Metro area.
Thanks @fmrick. Turns out something came up and won’t be able to make it. Appreciate the offer though.

May 5, 2009
I
I certainly hope so .... used to sitt about two rows up behind scorer's table ... him and the late Mark Fetter pretty much coordinated that long-ago trip to the City of Brotherly Love.
[/QUOTE
I remember them both. Used to sell buy one get one free dinner coupons. Big Ram fans.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Rams will likely be 12-point road faves ... it wasn't so easy back on Jan. 27, '82, when Joe's handed J.D. Barnett's Rams a 60-53 loss at the Palestra in second half of a doubleheader.

Went up on Rams' Club sponsored bus: remember two things: group went to fancy restaurant (Bookbinder's, I think) ... A tight wad by nature, I left and walked back to hotel despite Norman Morgan offering to pay first $20 of my tab .... then after the game in bar area, there sat Joe Frazier eating a bowl of steaming chili, drinking mixed drinks (in excess) and talking to anyone who cared to listen.
Was at that game with my two brothers and a friend. Almost sat right on the VCU bench. JD was giving us high fives before the game. Rams came up a little short, playing with a bunch of freshmen with names Duncan, Schlegel and Lamb. That St. Joe's team was pretty good with a very good big man named Tony Costner. Monty Knight shot us back in the game with some incredible shooting, but it wasn't quite enough.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
It won't happen because Mike is going to stick with his senior horses, but I'd change the starting lineup v St Joes a bit:
1. Bones (offense flows much better)
2. ME (shoot and slash from the wing v. top)
3. DJ (plays better with Bones at the 1)
4. Corey (a bit more bulk and length to start the game, 1st to be subbed out)
5. MSS

Minutes at each position:
1. Bones (27), ME (8), Crow (5)
2. ME (20), DJ (10), Curry (10),
3. DJ (20), IV (15), Clark (5)
4. Corey (15), Simms (15), Ward (10)
5. MSS (25), Corey (6), Ward (9)

Minutes Breakdown
1. DJ - 30
2. ME - 28
3. Bones - 27
4. MSS - 25
5. Corey - 21
6. Ward - 19
7. IV - 15
8. Simms - 15
9. Curry - 10
10. Clark - 5
11. Crow - 5

On my theoretical team, ME would stand to lose a lot of minutes if he couldn't improve his production by moving to the wing. The rapid improvement of Douglas and Ward would make me want to play 2 bigs together more and more often. The minutes for IV, Curry, Simms, Clarke and Crow could jump up if one of them was to develop a hot hand. MSS plays as many minutes as his stamina and foul situation would allow. Williams will have to compete for minutes upon return from injury. I could see JMcA demanding court time if minutes become available (slump or injury).

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Stepping away for a minute. I gotta say that this place is entertaining. Loss? Gotta change everything. Win? We are unstoppable. I'm hoping this last one got the guys over the mental hurdle and loosened them up to display all the talent we have on the floor.

80sRamBaseballRugby

Top Member
Apr 20, 2012
Stepping away for a minute. I gotta say that this place is entertaining. Loss? Gotta change everything. Win? We are unstoppable. I'm hoping this last one got the guys over the mental hurdle and loosened them up to display all the talent we have on the floor.
I hope so too, but it ain't quite that simple. ME didn't play and the team looked much better. Was that because ME is part of an overall chemistry problem OR is it because St. Bonna just isn't very good, especially without their star big?? Was light shed on the need to start Bones at the one? Or, is it a false light that was only allowed to shine because of poor competition?? Are we really 21 points over 8 minutes worse than Dayton, or actually, just as good, but some foul trouble hurt us for a stretch in Ohio? The last two games leave more questions than answers. Are we just who we are and the results speak for themselves (better than the Bonnies and well behind Dayton) or are we really that much better with Bones running the point and Douglas and Ward getting more minutes?

Reactions: SWV and 92VCUpikapp

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I hope so too, but it ain't quite that simple. ME didn't play and the team looked much better. Was that because ME is part of an overall chemistry problem OR is it because St. Bonna just isn't very good, especially without their star big?? Was light shed on the need to start Bones at the one? Or, is it a false light that was only allowed to shine because of poor competition?? Are we really 21 points over 8 minutes worse than Dayton, or actually, just as good, but some foul trouble hurt us for a stretch in Ohio? The last two games leave more questions than answers. Are we just who we are and the results speak for themselves (better than the Bonnies and well behind Dayton) or are we really that much better with Bones running the point and Douglas and Ward getting more minutes?
Yes, sample size is small. We shall see for sure because MR is going to give them all good minutes. They will certainly be more than ready for the stretch run. And we got a serious sharp shooter who's not afraid to jack it up after a miss. Kid is able to create his shot with the head fake in either direction because he can break ankles and blow past his guy.

Reactions: RAM7889

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I think ME's problems are, like Rodney A's has been saying; he's '...gripping the bat too tight...'. We've seen it before w/ Seniors who have great years but then it gets real when they realize the end is months away. I think this 'bat issue' is infecting the teams attitude, too, and while not intentional on ME's part the results are a team that plays tight. Hopefully ME saw the differences Saturday and realizes he needs to play loose...and confident...I think he has the aggressive part down ;-)

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I think ME's problems are, like Rodney A's has been saying; he's '...gripping the bat too tight...'. We've seen it before w/ Seniors who have great years but then it gets real when they realize the end is months away. I think this 'bat issue' is infecting the teams attitude, too, and while not intentional on ME's part the results are a team that plays tight. Hopefully ME saw the differences Saturday and realizes he needs to play loose...and confident...I think he has the aggressive part down ;-)
Very good analogy. Tight grip: foul out, strikeout, pop up. Let it loose, and the ball flies.

sjhawk13

Top Member
Feb 6, 2014
Actually, you can likely get some street parking within a block or so of Hagan.