The Official Beat St Bona in Olean Thread (Schedule now being rewritten by Dr Seuss!)

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Asking because hopefully I missed it on live. Did MIke make any adjustments to the defense during that opening 6 minutes of the second half when they were getting dunks and and 1s?
It didn't appear that he did, other than sub here or a sub there. He did use some timeouts.

I've seen some people suggesting we should have just switched to a zone, as if that is easy to do. If you don't practice it, and I have no idea whether we do or don't, then playing zone would be a joke. The biggest issue we had was what has been plaguing us recently: an inability to stop dribble penetration.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
It didn't appear that he did, other than sub here or a sub there. He did use some timeouts.

I've seen some people suggesting we should have just switched to a zone, as if that is easy to do. If you don't practice it, and I have no idea whether we do or don't, then playing zone would be a joke. The biggest issue we had was what has been plaguing us recently: an inability to stop dribble penetration.
Thanks for the response. I recognize I don’t always recognize the more subtle adjustments that are made over the course of the game so I was curious if you had the same impression. Honestly, I wondered why a zone wasn’t tried given the trouble with the dribble penetration over the years and the big lead.

May 19, 2015
Color me stupid but why wouldn’t we want to practice another defense? I know Shaka never wanted to play zone, which cost us games because everyone knew our defense. There are varieties of zone and man-to-man. Why not change it up? Ok , now I’m done.

Nov 26, 2017
I think this speaks volumes about this coaching staff. Last year we lost 2 of our best players. Jenkins in the middle of the season and Santos-Silva bolted at the end of the season. You have to wonder why that is??? You can believe that several more are going to bolt at the end of this season. I think when they get into a situation in a game and are looking for answers from the coach and his answer is( lets not change a thing, just keep on doing what you are doing) some of the players have to questioned him. Some of these guys are coming from very well coached high school teams (IMG) and very well coached AAU teams and have to second guess this coach. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: RamDanFan
Nov 20, 2009
So in my simple mind, it seems that if we do not hit our first couple of shots at the beginning of the second half we completely fold. Missed the first 2, Williams hit one, and between the missed shots and the dumb turnovers, we lost it.
Also, Bones does not need to be the "be all end all" offense for this team. Scale it back a little man.
So Bones was a freshman playing pg last year and had 36 TO’s in over 600 minutes played. This season, with a year of college experience under his belt, he’s playing SG and racking up 39 TO’s already, in under 400 minutes played. Not to mention that his shooting %’s are down a good bit.

Bones is a talented player who we are fortunate to have at VCU, but he’s trying to do too much and needs to be reigned in.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I think this speaks volumes about this coaching staff. Last year we lost 2 of our best players. Jenkins in the middle of the season and Santos-Silva bolted at the end of the season. You have to wonder why that is???
I will feed the troll.....
Jenkins was not MR's fault, plain and simple.
MSS had one foot out the door after his freshman year, again, not MR's fault. Remember he was a wee willy recruit.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
We are just gonna go out there and play loose. We are gonna fly around on defense and let it fly on offense. And oh yeah, coach says try to get a touch in the paint 1st every offensive possession. This IS VCU basketball.
One of the commentators said last night that we play "play ground" ball.
That tells me it is lack of maturity and experience.

Dec 16, 2013
So Bones was a freshman playing pg last year and had 36 TO’s in over 600 minutes played. This season, with a year of college experience under his belt, he’s playing SG and racking up 39 TO’s already, in under 400 minutes played. Not to mention that his shooting %’s are down a good bit.

Bones is a talented player who we are fortunate to have at VCU, but he’s trying to do too much and needs to be reigned in.
no doubt Bones needs to cut down on turnovers but gee whiz he is by far the best talent on the court and only player that can get his own shot against tough/quality defenders (NBA scouts have him as a draft option between the 20th and 40th spot as a sophomore) MR needs to give hm space to develop for the next level -
MR needs to reign in the Technicals by giving Bones a little more pine time if it happens again but I sure would hate to see what our offense looks like with a reigned in Bones and relying upon the other guards to break the defense down
we don't have any other player out there that our opponents fear
go rams

Reactions: The ram

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011

That's another issue. We need to practice various sets. I'm not at practice but if we are only practicing one scheme, that's another coaching issue.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011

He was great in the first half when he let the game come to him. When he forces things, that's when he struggles.

Reactions: hyeahvcu
Jan 15, 2020

Ehh I don’t know about that. They got a real rich basketball history which lead to them getting the first four. With the upgrades I definitely don’t know that we can say we’re on par. If Shaka had stayed I think we would definitely be but we have too much uncertainty these last few years.

Jan 15, 2020
UAB game in December of 2010.
I watched that WHOLE game on my parents computer and I remember the UAB feed was so bad that whenever they made a basket the feed would show a replay of the made basket and I would miss VCUs possession.

Shaka had a TON of rough losses in his first two years.

I watched the game with buds downtown then later that night had food poisoning from a burger I had. That was a awful night.