The Official Beat St Bona in Olean Thread (Schedule now being rewritten by Dr Seuss!)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Bona fan here.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Before the year, many SBU fans wondered how we would get minutes for what appeared to be our deepest team in the past decade or so.

Fast forward a couple months, and we've had two players transfer out with what appears to be a third in Anthony Roberts potentially leaving. Now that Bona has turned potentially one of their biggest strengths before the year started into a major weakness, Schmidt is unlikely to play more than six guys 10+ minutes barring injury or foul trouble.

Our starting five can go toe to toe with anyone one in the conference, but our bench is most likely the shortest in the A10. We are down to nine active scholarship players with only eight normally ready to go on a nightly basis.

With all that said, Schmidt traditionally does not go deep into his bench, so maybe it won't be a major issue if we are lucky.

If Osun gets in foul trouble, our new (and only other big) center Jalen Shaw is an upgrade of Amadi Ikpeze from last year, but is still clearly a cut below OO.

Here's a height breakdown on the guys you'll most likely see tonight:

G- Kyle Lofton (6'3)
G- Jaren Holmes (6'4)
G - Dom Welch (6'5)
F- Jalen Adaway (6'5)
F- Osun Osunniyi (6'10)

Bench
6th - Alejandro Vazquez (6'3) *Likes to shoot and shoots frequently
7th - Eddie Creal (6'4) *Good defender, but non-existent offensive game to date
8th - Jalen Shaw (6'10) *Good passer and runs the floor well for a big. Will only play a few minutes each half is OO is not in foul trouble.

Should be a good game tonight. Hope the Brown & White are more competitive than they were the past two years!
Thanks for the breakdown and welcome to the board.

Serious question that gets discussed here from time to time—what’s the secret for retaining Schmidt?

No disrespect intended, we know all too well the pain of losing a good coach—more curiosity. Would appreciate to get an actual Bonna perspective.

Jan 20, 2021
Thanks for the breakdown and welcome to the board.

Serious question that gets discussed here from time to time—what’s the secret for retaining Schmidt?

No disrespect intended, we know all too well the pain of losing a good coach—more curiosity. Would appreciate to get an actual Bonna perspective.
Hey PRock,

It's been reported that Schmidt makes around $900K/ year and SBU has been upping their budget since his arrival, so I think he has the tools to succeed. Add in the fact that he enjoys the area, and it's close to his wife's family in Western, PA makes it an easier sell to stay.

Outside of what he's said, I think his age (57) is another big reason why he's still at Bona. If Mark were 10 years younger, I think he'd be gone. He was considered a bit for the job at Pitt, but after firing Kevin Stallings, Pitt nation was not interested in another 50+ coach that wasn't a splash hire.

The program didn't really hit our stride under Schmidt until 2015 or so. He had mostly been a .500 coach before that time period save the 2012 Tourney run, so while he was younger, he didn't really perform well enough to merit consideration from any quality programs.

May 5, 2009
Hey PRock,

It's been reported that Schmidt makes around $900K/ year and SBU has been upping their budget since his arrival, so I think he has the tools to succeed. Add in the fact that he enjoys the area, and it's close to his wife's family in Western, PA makes it an easier sell to stay.

Outside of what he's said, I think his age (57) is another big reason why he's still at Bona. If Mark were 10 years younger, I think he'd be gone. He was considered a bit for the job at Pitt, but after firing Kevin Stallings, Pitt nation was not interested in another 50+ coach that wasn't a splash hire.

The program didn't really hit our stride under Schmidt until 2015 or so. He had mostly been a .500 coach before that time period save the 2012 Tourney run, so while he was younger, he didn't really perform well enough to merit consideration from any quality programs.
57 is not old

Mar 1, 2015
I kind of feel the opposite, haha......These guys clearly love playing with each other. It's like a 180 turnaround from last year. When those fast breaks happen I really like to focus on where the breakers are ultimately gonna be. It's pretty exciting.
Plus, anything that disrupts the pace and flow of our opponents is usually a good thing. I know it doesn't always work out....but when it does?? I feel like yelling like Ric Flair :lol:

Also, our style of play is probably a real selling point for recruits as well. I guess the trick for MR and Staff is helping the guys find that balance....it'll be interesting to see how it plays out against this Bona team.

Last time our Rams played in Olean was Feb. '19 and it was a 30 point beatdown for the Black and Gold and the leading scorer was Sean Mobley....

A bunch of Bonnies were part of that game and I'm SURE they're gonna be fired up....just like US!!!

WOOOooooooo!!!!!!
2b1274c3a69121c18cf0569a340414bb.gif
Stinks the gym will be empty. That place usually has an early 80s Pro Wrestling vibe when we have a big game there.

Time to style and profile.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Hey PRock,

Just want to say this is one of my favorite things in the forum, when we get a peaceful fan of another team on board. I love the discussions with knowledgeable members of another fan base!

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Hey PRock,

Someone needs to tell Coach K. that he is NOT 57!!! :lol:

Jan 20, 2021
Just want to say this is one of my favorite things in the forum, when we get a peaceful fan of another team on board. I love the discussions with knowledgeable members of another fan base!
Us Bona fans get a bad rap. While we have some annoying fans and had some bad optics over the years, our fans are very loyal, travel well and will give you the time of day if you know your stuff.

I always thought highly of VCU and their fans. We have enough programs in the A10 without fans or a real culture, so I like to root for programs that are good for our conference.

Good luck the rest of the way. Hopefully we can both get into the Dance this year with a little bit of luck!

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Us Bona fans get a bad rap. While we have some annoying fans and had some bad optics over the years, our fans are very loyal, travel well and will give you the time of day if you know your stuff.

I always thought highly of VCU and their fans. We have enough programs in the A10 without fans or a real culture, so I like to root for programs that are good for our conference.

Good luck the rest of the way. Hopefully we can both get into the Dance this year with a little bit of luck!
Agreed.
I've enjoyed talking to Bonnies fans in Brooklyn in '16 and '19 as well as DC in '18. I will always RESPECT fans that travel and Bonnies have good fans and BY FAR the biggest student section when it comes to conference tournaments.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
As a bystander to this game, just curious...how many scholarship players are available for the Bonnies today? I heard there may be some that aren't?

Jan 20, 2021
As a bystander to this game, just curious...how many scholarship players are available for the Bonnies today? I heard there may be some that aren't?
It looks like Bona only has nine for the rest of the season, but in all honesty it's eight because our last scholarship player never plays.