The Official Beat the Bills of Saint Louis in the Animal Thread

VAHills

Elite Member
Insider
I don't know what's more shocking: the fact that there were stretches in the game where we had 4 freshmen and Medley-Bacon as our 5 on the floor in one of the biggest games of the season, or that it was actually unremarkable. Everyone was hoopin'!

RamsFan1974

Elite Member
I'm still praying for Bones to pull a Danny Kottak tomorrow night. Where is George Borden when we need him!!!

For you young bucks, Kottak's performance against Georgetown in 1978 might be THE gutsiest performance by any VCU player in the history of the program. Below is from an article from the Richmond Free Press, dated September 10, 2020. The link to the article is also attached. Everyone on these boards should give that article a read. Kottak got off of the bus at GW's Smith Center prior to the game on crutches and got back on the bus after the game on crutches.

"Still, star of the night honors went to Kottak, a slender 6-foot-5 wing forward who was playing with a heavily taped left ankle.

“For two days leading up to the game, we didn’t know if Danny would play,” Noe recalled. “He was on crutches. Then he went out there and went freakin’ nuts.”

In scoring 29 points, Kottak, aka “The Instamatic,” hit 13 of 15 from the floor—mostly from long range, three of three from the foul line and, surprisingly, collected 11 rebounds."

Danny would launch that jumper with the ball behind his ear and had a great eye for kissing it off the back board when shooting from the wing. It was beautiful

RESRam

Insider
Bob Wenzel was doing the color tonight and I consider him one of the best in the business. Long time Ram fans remember when he coached Jacksonville U against us in the Sun Belt.
Always felt he was a class act as a coach. Brain cancer survivor I think. I know it’s a minority opinion, but I don’t think he was biased against us. Gave our band and usually sold out crowd/fans multiple kudos. He’s a network guy not assigned to or involved with any team.

yeah that much contact there had to be at least one foul in the mix. I agree with what others have mentioned that it seems like the refs were thinking it was going in so they didnt want to call a foul but then when it didnt go in they just werent ready to blow the whistle?

Great thing about that last play was we took the game in our hands, we didn't settle for a long shot that wasnt there. Took it hard to the hoop and earned the W. Easy 😉
This is a great point. I love that Ace drove to the basket there. A lot of time players will just settle for jump shots. He attacked the basket and drew the foul

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Always felt he was a class act as a coach. Brain cancer survivor I think. I know it’s a minority opinion, but I don’t think he was biased against us. Gave our band and usually sold out crowd/fans multiple kudos. He’s a network guy not assigned to or involved with any team.
I thought he had an aneurysm during a game. I did not know he had cancer.

PS-I was so excited watching that game I am not sure I heard ten words in the broadcast.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
Imagine a 2-3 zone in the next couple years with ward and Deloach on the bottom outside. Bones, ace, Vince rotating up top. Long banks and kern up top at times too? Mix in 6’4 Jmac. I like the possibility we will have. Maybe a more developed Bacon in the middle??

RESRam

Insider
I thought he had an aneurysm during a game. I did not know he had cancer.

PS-I was so excited watching that game I am not sure I heard ten words in the broadcast.
You are correct AA. I just googled him and it was an aneurysm.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Why would Hyland leave? He is far too small to play in the NBA. Needs to get in the weight room. Needs at least another year of working with a strength coach.
They have weight rooms, trainers and nutritionists in the NBA, plus no classes or workout limits and they pay you lots. He is currently thought to be a low first/high second candidate—if after the season he is locked into the first round, he should go. If not, it becomes a more nuanced evaluation.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
He is like Fran Fraschilla lite—good old coach who obviously just loves the game to it’s core and calls it how he sees it

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
He is currently thought to be a high first/low second candidate
tenor.gif

He is a low first/high second.

Bones will declare and get advice from scouts and have some workouts.