the Official Beat The Campbell Camels in the Stu Thread

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I think right now we are still in the, "Play to the level of our competition" mode.
Although, credit where credit is due.....Campbell seems to be a very good and disciplined team and almost took the game from us at the end.....and stormed out of the gate at the beginning like a bunch of gladiators swinging their blades through an unarmed crowd. In fact, for the first 5-10 minutes of the game, Campbell slapped us around like a baby bouncing off the backboard and were trying to tenderize us like one does a $2 dollar steak. It was an embarrassment that we took so long to adjust.
Plus they put the king of all Havoc on us the last minute of the game. Not sure it would have been much different if Ace were there either.......we had multiple players give up or turn the ball over there at the end.....no one seemed to be able to handle the ball and/or the pressure. We almost gave that one away.....or Campbell almost took it from us.
But, on the flip side, we did not lose our composure in the beginning of the game regardless of how badly we were being slapped around. The team finally pulled together and put on a major defensive show and slowly worked our way back into the game at the end of the 1st half. A lot of the 2nd half was a trade show for both sides....each side getting and missing baskets at about the same clip. But then both teams seemed to get into wild and wooly undisciplined few minutes that was at a pace formula one would be proud of. Then a time out, and we disciplined up made some defensive stops, played good offense and got some very good shots to take the 9 point lead.
Then the team decided to use some clock. They went on vacation back to the Bahamas and remembering what their mamma told them, they decided to start sharing the ball with the other team. Plus, after a pretty good free throw shooting night, both Vince and Curry.....well let's just say, they could have flown me up from Florida to stand at the line and shoot free throws and I would have gotten the same results....4 missed free throws in a row. Finally, Nunn steps up and hits his two free throws to match the two points the other team got when Nunn shared the ball with Campbell.
Everyone wanted Kern to throw down that dunk in the last 5-10 seconds of the game but I give him kudo's for seeing the clock and just work to run down the seconds........had this been ODU or UR, I would have relished a game finishing dunk.
Finally, thank goodness no one on the team actually fouled a Campbell player in the last 3 seconds of the game....it was the type of game where I could see that happening.
A lot of good things we did in this game but also a lot of not so good things.....or maybe Campbell made us do some not so good things. It was just one of those head scratcher type games.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
First dude on floor tonight diving for loose balls multiple times. His role is play hard, hustle, and be a leader, but expecting him to be a focal point on offense is what many “haters” didn’t think he should be. He was excellent tonight
And was even hitting some threes when the chances came on inside out passes. Curry has some game, he needs to stay away from what is not his game. He was certainly good today.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Where is Hason Ward and can somebody find him please!!
Hason made a living off of the high ball screen and rolling to the basket. Ace and Bones both worked well with him on that. They haven't been running much high ball screen action with Hason, maybe because of the cut back offensive sets because of new players. Hason had a lot of dunks from that last year.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Just finished watching the whole replay, it's amazing how much of a different perspective TV gives, LOL. V really took a hard hit, I admit I hadn't any idea he was still hurting the last minutes of the game, holding his lower back with the back of his hand many times. I hope they are getting him some heat and deep tissue massage. That was a pretty physical game.
And The Chef commentating was on frickin POINT. I hope this is something he's going to do more, like, for more teams than just VCU, his perspective/reflection on the sport itself, and what's going on in the game is priceless.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
And The Chef commentating was on frickin POINT. I hope this is something he's going to do more, like, for more teams than just VCU, his perspective/reflection on the sport itself, and what's going on in the game is priceless.
Agree. I thought he did a really good .....and fair job for both Campbell and VCU. I hope more people in the media profession heard him or take a look at him. He came off very well on air. And he didn't sound like a homer :) He was very fair.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Just finished watching the whole replay, it's amazing how much of a different perspective TV gives, LOL. V really took a hard hit, I admit I hadn't any idea he was still hurting the last minutes of the game, holding his lower back with the back of his hand many times. I hope they are getting him some heat and deep tissue massage. That was a pretty physical game.
Just the VCU games would be fine with me. Think Kern is his favorite player. They do have similar games.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Campbell is a team we should play every year. The coaches are buddies, they're good, especially offensively, and will only get better. They have a lot of young players, and had 3 players combine for 48 points against Duke.
Real good. Thankfully they cracked just enough.

JDI

Insider
Noticed that they put a brace around his waist during the timeout and then removed it before he went back in the game.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
He is incredibly limited offensively. If he isn’t defending, which he really wasn‘t tonight, then why should he see the floor? Some people need to stop with the NBA talk. Seriously. He isn’t even close to an NBA player at this stage. So much potential, but a long way from realizing it,
He doesn’t have much time to get it together. Just one more season after this year and we‘re bringing in quality players that want those minutes.

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Big Haas getting two fouls in the first two minutes of the game I think kind of set the tone for him the entire game, he was on the verge of "foul trouble" before anybody had even broken a sweat.

Could have done without the spotting them 20 points to kick off the game but we take the W and the experience for the new faces and move on to the next. I think shooting the percentage we did from three is enough to win us games. The FT% could stand to improve, maybe it is a little skewed this game because Vince missed those two after taking a huge spill after that flagrant foul (or whatever it was ruled as) on him
Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't get to watch the beginning!

SteveMM

Elite Member
Last night's game was the definition of a roller coaster ride. Check out host George Templeton's postgame comments in the latest Rams Rewind. Listen at the link or on your favorite podcast site.

VCU85

Elite Member
(With apologies to the Wizard of Oz)

Ding dong the sell out's dead, which sell out, the STU sellout .
Ding dong the fake sell out iiiiiiiiis dead.....

Such a bad first half on offense, and defense. The second half saw a focus that was seen in Atlantis.

Why is it that historically VCU has always seemed to play down to their competition ? Campbell had 2 maybe 3 legit players (no. 12 was the best player on the court for either team).

With the poor shooting this team has shown so far, I thought they were digging a hole they couldn't get out of in the first half. Very happy I was wrong.

If Hasan Ward takes another 3 point shot I think my head is gonna explode. I looked at coach Rhodes immediately after the shot. He, and I were sharing the same thought (so I got that going for me)..