The Official Beat the Colonials of GW in DC Thread

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
How would you feel if he made the shot?

I would still be upset. I expect much better clock management from VCU's best player on the team. In fact, I would expect the same from any player on the team, including the freshmen. All of them have played in enough games in their lives to know you milk the clock when you have a 9 point lead with less than 75 seconds to play. It's basic basketball that just about every coach teaches beginning at an early age. That's not team basketball at all at this level.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
@Wolfpack Ram but when they aren't doing those stupid things (which definitely need to be addressed), that lineup plays some beautiful basketball. The offense is faster and sharper, they go on runs, they rebound, Ward scores more points, etc.

This team is still very young. I am all for increasing their minutes while still having upperclassmen on the floor to lead, especially Ward. What I don't want to see is "loyalty" minutes doled out like last year. I think there needs to be a blend of youth and experience with players seeing their minutes increased based on play. Right now, even Bones and Ace are not making smart plays like they were earlier in the year.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
That was a smart play by Bishop. He scored 24 points on 5-19 from the field (1-5 from three). He shot entirely too many FTs (13-15). I thought only Fatts shot that many against us. Isn't that the rule? Only Fatts shoots more than 10 FTs in a game against us?

It seems to be a pattern lately.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I would still be upset. I expect much better clock management from VCU's best player on the team. In fact, I would expect the same from any player on the team, including the freshmen. All of them have played in enough games in their lives to know you milk the clock when you have a 9 point lead with less than 75 seconds to play. It's basic basketball that just about every coach teaches beginning at an early age. That's not team basketball at all at this level.
yes, yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Which just lets you know that there is only so much a coach can do short of benching a player...I’m sure that was not part of any “game plan”

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Had to miss my Basketball Jones today...Appears we won and many are upset about how we won....sheesh. I'll take any win. Good stuff. 10-3. Who saw that coming? I await the answers.
Against the schedule we have played ...’bout right

Reactions: RamStrut
Mar 1, 2015
This team is still very young. I am all for increasing their minutes while still having upperclassmen on the floor to lead, especially Ward. What I don't want to see is "loyalty" minutes doled out like last year. I think there needs to be a blend of youth and experience with players seeing their minutes increased based on play. Right now, even Bones and Ace are not making smart plays like they were earlier in the year.
The steadiest play down the stretch was from the 3 least experienced players, Watkins, Ward, Baldwin. Hyland and Vince were making the mistakes.

Hyland needs reigned in a little.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
The clock management late in the game was awful. If GW had played better during the last two minutes, they might have caught up. I have no idea why Ace is throwing bombs across the court when it’s a much better idea to just dribble it across the time line. The team really needs to learn how to close out games in a hurry because it’s been an issue for much of the season.