The Official Beat the Davidson Wildcats at the Stu Thread

Last week Brajkovic averaged 19.0 points, 11.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5 blocks per game, while shooting 72.7 percent (16-of-22) from the floor and 60.0 percent (3-for-5) from long range.
He has been the thorn in our side over the seasons. They sure don't miss Grady it would appear. Should we put Ward or Deloach on him? Deloach tends to foul.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Rambunctiousrowdyram said, "Too many UNC somethings..."
You definitely don't want to go to California!

Ramlove81

Elite Member
He has been the thorn in our side over the seasons. They sure don't miss Grady it would appear. Should we put Ward or Deloach on him? Deloach tends to foul.
Deloach tending to foul might be good. I'd be physical with him. We have Ward, Deloach, Stockard, Brown-Jones and Nichols (if healthy) to throw at him. Be in his grill the whole game, if you pick up a few fouls, make em hard (not dirty, but hard as in no and ones).

Rambunctiousrowdyram said, "Too many UNC somethings..."
You definitely don't want to go to California!
Don’t get me started…. I got family in SoCal. You only get a unique name if you have a school with deep pockets (Westwood.) or some rich alum/celeb named it after themselves.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Don’t get me started…. I got family in SoCal. You only get a unique name if you have a school with deep pockets (Westwood.) or some rich alum/celeb named it after themselves.
Even Westwood is the University of California at Los Angeles. Everything in the UC system, is UC something and the system is massive.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
I had a bad feeling SBU was going to handle us Friday and it went worse than I imagined.

This Davidson team gives me a similar feeling. I think this is one of the better Davidson teams we have played in recent memory. The last few seasons it was just Grady hitting a bunch of tough shots, but this squad really shoots and passes at a high level and they don't seem as undersized and unathletic as prior Davidson teams. Usually VCUs athleticism kind of overwhelms them. You can watch the Alabama game and see that Davidson pretty much controlled the entire game. The one silver lining is that in that game the defensive pressure got to them late and they nearly gave it away.

With covid still rampant I am not sure that the Stu advantage is quite as great. We simply are not going to hit shots at the clip they will. They are gonna pass the ball around and when we over commit they are gonna burn us. VCU needs to be locked in for the entirety because any lull or slow start to a half is gonna be met by a 9-0 run and backbreaking threes with the quickness.

The other advantage I see is they seem to be as bad on the boards as we were early on. But I am not sure if that's just because they hit more shots so have less boards to grab. Either way VCU wins if they make the game ugly and stay engaged the full 40. Davidson needs to hit their shots. It might be a really good game because our 3 pt defense which I believe is #1 is going to be put to the test. Can VCU hold them below average and and score enough to win? I am feeling a one possession game in the high 60s. If it hits 70s I think Davidson probably pulls it off.

VCU 69
DAV 66

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I had a bad feeling SBU was going to handle us Friday and it went worse than I imagined.

This Davidson team gives me a similar feeling. I think this is one of the better Davidson teams we have played in recent memory. The last few seasons it was just Grady hitting a bunch of tough shots, but this squad really shoots and passes at a high level and they don't seem as undersized and unathletic as prior Davidson teams. Usually VCUs athleticism kind of overwhelms them. You can watch the Alabama game and see that Davidson pretty much controlled the entire game. The one silver lining is that in that game the defensive pressure got to them late and they nearly gave it away.

With covid still rampant I am not sure that the Stu advantage is quite as great. We simply are not going to hit shots at the clip they will. They are gonna pass the ball around and when we over commit they are gonna burn us. VCU needs to be locked in for the entirety because any lull or slow start to a half is gonna be met by a 9-0 run and backbreaking threes with the quickness.

The other advantage I see is they seem to be as bad on the boards as we were early on. But I am not sure if that's just because they hit more shots so have less boards to grab. Either way VCU wins if they make the game ugly and stay engaged the full 40. Davidson needs to hit their shots. It might be a really good game because our 3 pt defense which I believe is #1 is going to be put to the test. Can VCU hold them below average and and score enough to win? I am feeling a one possession game in the high 60s. If it hits 70s I think Davidson probably pulls it off.

VCU 69
DAV 66
Four years ago (17-18) Peyton Aldridge was A10 Co-POY and three seasons ago (18-19) Jon Axel Gudmundsson was POY. Kellan Grady was on both of those teams so I don't really understand the "last few seasons it was just Grady hitting a bunch of tough shots" take.

I will say.... your score prediction is NICE

Mercury

Elite Member
We don't have the guns to play catch up vs a team like Davidson. Will be very important to punch them in the mouth early and prepare for a 40 minute fight.

We are capable of both sweeping the series this week any getting swept. A split seems like the most realistic scenario but hopefully we can take them down tonight.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I would feel a little better if the Stu was like it was a couple of years ago...sold out, loud and a bit crazy....not the same home court advantage we have enjoy in the past.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
Four years ago (17-18) Peyton Aldridge was A10 Co-POY and three seasons ago (18-19) Jon Axel Gudmundsson was POY. Kellan Grady was on both of those teams so I don't really understand the "last few seasons it was just Grady hitting a bunch of tough shots" take.

I will say.... your score prediction is NICE
Yeah, and they had Steph Curry once upon a time too. They are good program and have had many nice pieces, but to act like Grady wasn't the focal point of every scouting report and the team usually went how he went the last couple( 2 or 3, 2017 was 5 years ago) seasons is patently absurd.