The Official Beat the Davidson Wildcats in North Carolina Thread

The purposely missed free throw and phantom timeout still gets me. CBS SportsNet and the DC scoreboard showed no timeouts. The CBS announcers mentioned that the scoreboard in the arena showed 0 timeouts for Davidson. That is unacceptable. Now, DeLoach, Baldwin and Brown-Jones all had a chance to ice it and out of a possible 6 points VCU came away with 1. McKillop also purposely had them foul DeLoach.
I am happy as heck that the Rams pulled it out.
Would love to know what the explanation was. If Davidson did have a timeout then you don’t intentionally miss that free throw. That was a smart move by McKillop. Unfortunately DeLoach is an awful free throw shooter

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Would love to know what the explanation was. If Davidson did have a timeout then you don’t intentionally miss that free throw. That was a smart move by McKillop. Unfortunately DeLoach is an awful free throw shooter
Until we hear differently, I’m going to go on the assumption that the team thought the same thing we did (since the arena scoreboard also said Davidson had no timeouts) and that Rhoades instructed MBJ to intentionally miss the second free throw to run the last 0.6 seconds off the clock. If you know the other team has no timeouts it’s an easy decision.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
It seems as if Curry really took the disrespect SBU showed him personal. He's been playing much better overall since then!

Fun rollercoaster ride, ain't it?
Let's face it, the entire team is playing much better overall since that debacle.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Until we hear differently, I’m going to go on the assumption that the team thought the same thing we did (since the arena scoreboard also said Davidson had no timeouts) and that Rhoades instructed MBJ to intentionally miss the second free throw to run the last 0.6 seconds off the clock. If you know the other team has no timeouts it’s an easy decision.
Is is not an assumption. Watch the replay. Rhoades was pointing at the scoreboard and questioning the ref after they called the timeout.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
The commentators also said he should miss the FT on purpose. I won't say there's a conspiracy, but some weird things sure do happen against us....

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
So happy VCU pulled out the win last night. After some time to calm down I have to say what an army of a win. With all the foul trouble it literally did take an army to win the game. You knew Davidson was going to go on a run at some point. Thankfully VCU had an answer to that with some huge defensive plays. Obviously, should have never let it get that close but they’ll learn from it. If we make free throws then the game isn’t really that close at the end

In terms of the foul differential, I was more infuriated at the lack of calls against Davidson and the inconsistency . Not so much the fouls called against VCU. VCU put themselves in a bad position defensively and committed some silly fouls. If the refs are going to let Brajkovic be physical and bully his way to the basket, then you have to let VCU do the same on the other end. Can’t let one team be physical but not the other.
This exactly…..not in favor of being overly vigilant on displacement in tje block, but Luka took what the refs gave him and got progressively more violent with his arms and elbows as the game wore on. Refs have to make those calls as consistently as they do moving picks on the perimeter.

Credit to Luka and Davidson for taking advantage, but the refs were shamefully biased and seemed to be intimidated by McKillop.