The Official Beat the Davidson Wildcats in North Carolina Thread

Vince is taking that role lately and delivering—he got hamstrung a bit last nite by the phantom third foul which made him a little more passive.

When Vince was out in the first for an extended stanza—Nunn stepped up big into the void too, could be a development down the road.

Key thing is when inferior programs like Davidson resort to making games a FT contest, we have to be better…..not great, but much better.
Vince is playing really well and there are plenty of good players, some are pretty young. Don’t really have the Tre, JQ, Bones etc etc who are the clear cut unquestioned guy at the end. The Jimmy Chitwood who calmly says “I’ll make it”.

HBK

Elite Member
Hat's off to KcKillop for that coaching sequence near the end where he had a scrub off the bench foul VCU in order to put us in the bonus and then immediately fouled DeLoach knowing he would struggle from the FT line....which he did, missing the front end of a 1and1. It really had an impact on the Rams momentum, it seemed to give a little boost to Davidson, and it REALLY helped get the crowd goin'

Still, helluva win from our guys. We can nancy all day about the refs and the foul disparity and Foster Loyer's stupid face which is both Oh-so-punchable AND weirdly proportioned. He seriously looks like a beady eyed shrew or some other small digging mammal.

Lastly, I'm all for college kids having fun and silly little traditions and all that....but the Davidson swim team is just sad and weird and weirdly homoerotic......That being said, I've NEVER been the kind of guy who looks good shirtless at the beach, so maybe I'm hatin on those little turds a bit

GREAT WIN, RAMS!!!!
I saw that coming the moment that sub fouled at half court on purpose to give them their 6th team foul. Credit to Mike Rhoades for immediately pulling DeLoach as soon as he could after he missed the front end. Vince was able to guard Brajkovic, getting that all-important charging call not long after. Wouldn't want Vince to have to guard Brajkovic for an entire game, but in a pinch at the end, you do what you have to do.

It would be nice if Hasan Ward, a junior, could play without fouling. He's fouled out in each of the last two games in a combined 25 game minutes. 10 fouls in 25 minutes of play. Wow!

Last edited:

HBK

Elite Member
VCU was better than Davidson both games. The team just needs to close better.
Agreed. Last 5 minutes of the two games combined, Davidson has outscored us 26 to 5. It was 10-2 last week over the final 5 minutes; last night was 16-3.

Ace has missed 11 FTs this year (shooting 62%) in 10 games. Last year, he missed 12 FTs (shooting 74%) in 26 games. Ironically, this season he's better on FG percentage overall and dramatically better from three. So, the problems at the FT line for Ace are surprising, but easily fixable.

northernvatiger

Elite Member
Agreed. Last 5 minutes of the two games combined, Davidson has outscored us 26 to 5. It was 10-2 last week over the final 5 minutes; last night was 16-3.

Ace has missed 11 FTs this year (shooting 62%) in 10 games. Last year, he missed 12 FTs (shooting 74%) in 26 games. Ironically, this season he's better on FG percentage overall and dramatically better from three. So, the problems at the FT line for Ace are surprising, but easily fixable.
We were fortunate last night. I know Davidson is a good team, but you just can't fold down the stretch the way we did in both games. Hope we can close out better going forward. I suspect we will be playing a lot of close games.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Vince is playing really well and there are plenty of good players, some are pretty young. Don’t really have the Tre, JQ, Bones etc etc who are the clear cut unquestioned guy at the end. The Jimmy Chitwood who calmly says “I’ll make it”.
I agree with you but Vince's leaning &1 over and through Jones was a pretty big bucket. We might be seeing him step more into that role.

Hat's off to KcKillop for that coaching sequence near the end where he had a scrub off the bench foul VCU in order to put us in the bonus and then immediately fouled DeLoach knowing he would struggle from the FT line....which he did, missing the front end of a 1and1. It really had an impact on the Rams momentum, it seemed to give a little boost to Davidson, and it REALLY helped get the crowd goin'

Lastly, I'm all for college kids having fun and silly little traditions and all that....but the Davidson swim team is just sad and weird and weirdly homoerotic......That being said, I've NEVER been the kind of guy who looks good shirtless at the beach, so maybe I'm hatin on those little turds a bit

GREAT WIN, RAMS!!!!
I was like; "what the heck is this idiot doing" Two minutes later Coach KcKillop looked like a basketball god. I guess armchair coaches like me shouldn't be questioning a professional coach with 999 games under his belt.

The swim team thing was really funny ONCE, but has become creepy. I'm pretty sure people would be really upset if the women's team showed up and acted like the men's team, likely more disruptive to the shooter.

BGDragoon80

Insider
After MBJ intentionally missed, the mystery time out was called, and the ref's adjusted the time on .06 to .04 seconds, the game was over. There is no way the Davidson player can catch, turn, and release the ball in.04 seconds before the horn sounds.

VAHills

Elite Member
Insider
Yes, I was thinking, Vince is a unique cat who we will compare players down the road to ("He reminds me of Vince Williams!" references), but his comp to our past is closer to Rob Brandenberg than Treveon Graham. Which is no disrespect, guys that help you win, but you can't run the "Tre and Pray" with them as time is winding down. I think Watkins was supposed to be that guy this year, but alas, we fight on without him.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
My take on the missing timeout. During one of the earlier timeouts the camera shot showed the scoreboard timeouts and it showed one on the home side. Suddenly the indicator flickered and went out. So the scoreboard showed no timeouts but there was one left. That is why you double check with the scoring table to get the correct count in an important moment in the game.
They had 1 timeout showing until the refs went to the monitor to check the time and increased it from 0.3 to 0.7 seconds. Davidson did not call a timeout, but for some reason the timeout was removed from the scoreboard and the TV broadcast.

That definitely is something to confuse the crowd, but the coaches have to do a better job there. One of the assistants should have gone to the scorer’s table before those 2 FTs to confirm the timeout situation.

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
After MBJ intentionally missed, the mystery time out was called, and the ref's adjusted the time on .06 to .04 seconds, the game was over. There is no way the Davidson player can catch, turn, and release the ball in.04 seconds before the horn sounds.
No it wasn’t. We could definitely have picked up a foul and given them 2 FTs. We’ve won a game that route just 5 or so years ago.