The Official Beat The Davidson Wildcats in the Animal Thread

irradiated_ram

Insider
Jan 23, 2013
do the robbie and litos radio broadcasts get saved somewhere?

sorry if this has been addressed earlier, I haven't read through the posts yet

Nov 10, 2012
Good game last night. Defense in the 2nd half wasn’t as good as the first. Took some time at the beginning for the offense to get going. Good job though answering Davidson’s runs. Great to see ME have a great game. Jenkins was good. MSS struggled to get shots to fall. He was being double and triple teamed at times. I’ll take a double digit conference win any day of the week. Onto Mason!

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
If there was a foul disparity last night, it was because TV Ted Valentine and the rest of the three blind mice refused to call Grady for pushing off EVERY time he drove to the basket. Every time he drove to the basket, he forearmed his defender to create space. He should have fouled out three times last night. Grady kept Davidson in the game, but it would have been a much worse outcome for Davidson if the refs had not swallowed their whistles every time Grady pushed off driving to the basket.
Good players get away with it. ME does it every time in. If we could stay in front of him like we did the first half he doesn't go completely off. Dunno why we didn't contain him in the 2nd. It's a mystery to me. I'm inclined to think it was because we were smothering JAG, but we kept Grady out in the first. Maybe he's just the kind of guy you can't stop for an entire game. Heluva player. I see a lot of him in Bones and Curry. Both are going to be elite penetrators. Bones needs a bit more meat on his bones (see what I did there) before he's going to draw the fouls in there.

Reactions: WestEndEd

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
He works very hard at FTs and I'm glad that he's getting out of the way of his own head. :)
All we need is 65% from him. He seems to get grooved at the end of the game which is when we really need it. He seems to be getting the front iron deal and they're bouncing in or swishing. Just gotta keep them off the back iron.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

vcubob

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
If there was a foul disparity last night, it was because TV Ted Valentine and the rest of the three blind mice refused to call Grady for pushing off EVERY time he drove to the basket. Every time he drove to the basket, he forearmed his defender to create space. He should have fouled out three times last night. Grady kept Davidson in the game, but it would have been a much worse outcome for Davidson if the refs had not swallowed their whistles every time Grady pushed off driving to the basket.
I'd be tempted to send in Mcallister and wait for his chance to stick an elbow into Grady's chest and force the ref to call it.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Good players get away with it. ME does it every time in. If we could stay in front of him like we did the first half he doesn't go completely off. Dunno why we didn't contain him in the 2nd. It's a mystery to me. I'm inclined to think it was because we were smothering JAG, but we kept Grady out in the first. Maybe he's just the kind of guy you can't stop for an entire game. Heluva player. I see a lot of him in Bones and Curry. Both are going to be elite penetrators. Bones needs a bit more meat on his bones (see what I did there) before he's going to draw the fouls in there.
No way Marcus Evans pushes off as blatantly as Grady did Friday night. It's one thing putting your forearm up. It's a completely different thing to put your forearm up and then blatantly push off on the defending player. The refs were blind to it all game.

Reactions: SpiderRAM
Dec 29, 2012
we never follow a shot.?????
On the defensive end we’re sometimes getting outhustled to the ball. It’s equivalent of losing the free throw rebound, and then giving up points.

Your question of following a shot certainly pertains to the offensive end after we take shots - there have been many plays where our guys (excluded MSS) are observing after the shot, as opposed to positioning for the rebound. It’s almost as if we assume the ball is going in so we don’t go after the board.

Reactions: Newboy and vcu70ram

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
On the defensive end we’re sometimes getting outhustled to the ball. It’s equivalent of losing the free throw rebound, and then giving up points.

Your question of following a shot certainly pertains to the offensive end after we take shots - there have been many plays where our guys (excluded MSS) are observing after the shot, as opposed to positioning for the rebound. It’s almost as if we assume the ball is going in so we don’t go after the board.
Just about every good team they face out hustles them on the defensive end. It's why they fall behind, and can't recover.

I hate feeling that way. Somebody please convince me I'm wrong.

Reactions: SWV

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
That kid Hyunjung Lee is gonna be a hand full for years to come. Nice find by McKillop and crew.

I will add I had a nice group of Davidson fans next to me. They were polite and respectful. Not a lot of interaction, but that’s the way it should be if your a visiting fan base.
Lee is one of the best freshman shooters I've seen in a while, and that category includes Bones.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride