The Official Beat The Davidson Wildcats in the Animal Thread

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm genuinely curious how Lee ended up at Davidson. More than ever, we are seeing college students from all over the world (Thanks David Stern and Dream Team '92). I would imagine that certain colleges employ a "bird dog" who has a connection to that place and keeps an eye out for legit talent abroad.
Obviously the lions share of kids we're looking at should be local-ish kids residing in America.....but a little part of me dreams about one day seeing VCU import some Men's talent. The Women's team (and tennis team) really seem to value that possibility.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I'm genuinely curious how Lee ended up at Davidson. More than ever, we are seeing college students from all over the world (Thanks David Stern and Dream Team '92). I would imagine that certain colleges employ a "bird dog" who has a connection to that place and keeps an eye out for legit talent abroad.
Obviously the lions share of kids we're looking at should be local-ish kids residing in America.....but a little part of me dreams about one day seeing VCU import some Men's talent. The Women's team (and tennis team) really seem to value that possibility.
Some coaches just seem to have an eye for international talent. Mike Lonergan was pretty good at recruiting players from Europe when he was at GW.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Lee’s mother won a silver medal in Olympics hoops and father is an ex-pro. He was at the NBA academy in Australia. McKillop has been tapped into that for some time and made international recruiting a priority.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
You are forgetting that VCU has had some outstanding talent from overseas. Martin Henlan and Nick George from England. Yann Bonato from France. L.F. Likcholitov and Kiril Pishchalnikov from Russia. District Baller can tell us about several outstanding players from Canada as well.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
You are forgetting that VCU has had some outstanding talent from overseas. Martin Henlan and Nick George from England. Yann Bonato from France. L.F. Likcholitov and Kiril Pishchalnikov from Russia. District Baller can tell us about several outstanding players from Canada as well.
Yea, that's what got me thinkin about that. Let's NOT forget Konstantin Pepilov from the early 90's....dude was huge. He wasn't very good, but if you saw him walkin' thru the commons?? like a giant.

other top of my head Internationals?
Teddy O-England
Marquell Fraser-Canada
Sherman Hamilton-Canada
Doug Brooks-Space Alien

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Yes, I believe the head of sports medicine George Borden?, had quite a few international connections and helped bridge some for recruiting back in the day.

Reactions: ViCtorioUs

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Yea, that's what got me thinkin about that. Let's NOT forget Konstantin Pepilov from the early 90's....dude was huge. He wasn't very good, but if you saw him walkin' thru the commons?? like a giant.

other top of my head Internationals?
Teddy O-England
Marquell Fraser-Canada
Sherman Hamilton-Canada
Doug Brooks-Space Alien
I've given this a lot of thought and have decided Doug is not an alien. He's from the Chaos Dimension.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
It really bummed me out when Yann left. Dude was a prototypical big 2-3G that could slice a D going to the rack. I think he was among the best if only for a short time with us.

Reactions: Megakerato

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Some coaches just seem to have an eye for international talent. Mike Lonergan was pretty good at recruiting players from Europe when he was at GW.
Not just Europe, Japan and South America as well. They had flags behind the bench of all of the countries they had players from. I believe at one point they had players from 5 or 6 different countries on one roster.

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Mack McCarthy burned our Russian connection/ pipeline. On the list, did anybody mention Nick George? How about our big from Cameroon? ...
VCU has had its share but Davidson , GW,and of course Gonzaga have a steady stream.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Mack McCarthy burned our Russian connection/ pipeline. On the list, did anybody mention Nick George? How about our big from Cameroon? ...
VCU has had its share but Davidson , GW,and of course Gonzaga have a steady stream.
Wil Fameni