The Official Beat The Eagles of Florida Gulf Coast University Thread

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Andy Enfield was set to go to ODU at the end of the regular season before FGCU made their run to the Sweet 16. At that point bigger fish came calling and he was off to USC and ODU ended up with Jeff Jones. Given their resources, a good hire. They probably would have had higher top-end potential under Enfield however.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Andy Enfield was set to go to ODU at the end of the regular season before FGCU made their run to the Sweet 16. At that point bigger fish came calling and he was off to USC and ODU ended up with Jeff Jones. Given their resources, a good hire. They probably would have had higher top-end potential under Enfield however.
Some posters on the ODU board didn't (and still don't) like the hire but as I've said ad nauseam, that was a difficult year to make a hire. Enfield became a P5 coach on one dunk-filled weekend in the tournament. Richard Pitino became a P5 coach on one 18-14 season at FIU. The younger prospects had their own issues (would Mike Rhodes leave for VCU, which would be a tremendous slap in the face for ODU? would Kevin Keatts get show-caused?). Jeff Jones was by no means a sexy choice and ODU fans wish they'd be closer to VCU than, say, George Mason over the past few years, but that might have been the best they could have done in the market, because they sure as ding dongs wouldn't be able to outbid USC and Minnesota.

Reactions: RamBo
May 3, 2012
FYI, this game has a special deal because VCU is closed the whole week of Thanksgiving. Students will leave Friday before the Saturday game. Peppas may be down in members as well. Just saying.

Feb 1, 2016
FYI, this game has a special deal because VCU is closed the whole week of Thanksgiving. Students will leave Friday before the Saturday game. Peppas may be down in members as well. Just saying.
Thank you for pointing that out. I was wondering why they did that. I didn't remember that being done before.