The Official Beat The Fayers in Ohio Thread

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
Tonight was not only potentially the beginning of the end of VCU's at-large chances this season, but it could even be the beginning of the end of an entire era of success and dominance at VCU that has been built up for literally more than a decade, if everyone doesn't come to their senses very quickly. VCU now has five losses this season, and they have been against the five best teams we've faced. In other words, this is not a fluke but rather the reality and byproduct of having a legitimately subpar, or even poor and lackluster, team, if the standard is to be in a position to earn an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament, which was starting to become the standard at VCU. Very hard to deny this after tonight. The team is simply broken. Offense is an absolute travesty, and there legitimately may be some DII or DIII teams that could beat us on the right day. Bones Hyland needs to start for Marcus Evans immediately. Marcus is a warrior for fighting through so many tough injuries, but his body is just not there to compete at a high D1 level anymore. He's an absolute turnover machine. Machine! Santos Silva is the only consistently great, or even good, player for VCU night and night out. Vann has totally forgotten how to play basketball. Vince Williams alternates between shooting smooth swishes and horrific bricks every game. Rhoades is showing very little emotion even as we get our tail kicked. Somehow, nearly a decade after the Final Four team and then, after that, Briante Weber, we seem to have completely regressed in terms of passion and intensity on the court. If VCU doesn't land an at-large berth and doesn't win the A-10 Tournament, VCU will have missed the Big Dance 2 of 3 years under Rhoades. Haven't been back to the Sweet 16 since 2011 Final Four run. Meanwhile, Butler is the No. 6 team in the country. Scary, scary times folks.
Lmao gave up on this post after the first sentence

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Bah. Make or miss game. Missing a few too many right now. Still plenty of chances to turn that around, although they're dwindling. Pretty sure we win that game in Richmond. Look forward to the rematch.
VCU got schooled, and very badly I might add. There is no way in H*ll they would have won that game at home. That 20 point run was as bad as anything I've seen on the floor in a long while. That second half reminded me of the Purdue game in the Final four run.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamStrut and SWV
May 19, 2015
Tonight was not only potentially the beginning of the end of VCU's at-large chances this season, but it could even be the beginning of the end of an entire era of success and dominance at VCU that has been built up for literally more than a decade, if everyone doesn't come to their senses very quickly. VCU now has five losses this season, and they have been against the five best teams we've faced. In other words, this is not a fluke but rather the reality and byproduct of having a legitimately subpar, or even poor and lackluster, team, if the standard is to be in a position to earn an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament, which was starting to become the standard at VCU. Very hard to deny this after tonight. The team is simply broken. Offense is an absolute travesty, and there legitimately may be some DII or DIII teams that could beat us on the right day. Bones Hyland needs to start for Marcus Evans immediately. Marcus is a warrior for fighting through so many tough injuries, but his body is just not there to compete at a high D1 level anymore. He's an absolute turnover machine. Machine! Santos Silva is the only consistently great, or even good, player for VCU night and night out. Vann has totally forgotten how to play basketball. Vince Williams alternates between shooting smooth swishes and horrific bricks every game. Rhoades is showing very little emotion even as we get our tail kicked. Somehow, nearly a decade after the Final Four team and then, after that, Briante Weber, we seem to have completely regressed in terms of passion and intensity on the court. If VCU doesn't land an at-large berth and doesn't win the A-10 Tournament, VCU will have missed the Big Dance 2 of 3 years under Rhoades. Haven't been back to the Sweet 16 since 2011 Final Four run. Meanwhile, Butler is the No. 6 team in the country. Scary, scary times folks.
GET LOST TROLL.

Reactions: VCU85 and Ramaholic

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I know people are freaking out right now about the season so far but we’re pretty much on par with all our previous seasons going back to 2013. Every season since 2013 we’ve had 4+ losses by the 2nd/3rd week on January. Some of those losses included us being absolutely destroyed by Villanova, Dayton and Illinois, losing to Fordham and losing at home to division II Queens. There’s been embarrassment and frustration every season and there’s always people ready to jump ship but every season, minus Mike’s first season, the team was able to turn it around and make the NCAA tourney. There’s still plenty of basketball to be played and while we may be on the wrong side of the bubble (as we’ve often been at this point in previous seasons) we have a great shot at playing ourselves back in.
Here's the difference this year versus those other years: we've played 17 games. Our projected best player (Evans) has scored single digits in six of the those games, all in the past 11 games. I would bet anything if you looked at those previous seasons you referenced, nobody who was viewed as our best player (especially as a senior) has performed like that. That is concerning moving forward.

Last edited:

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Kenpom remains at 51.
Anyone who thought we had a chance to win tonight after watching Dayton play lately vs. watching us muddle through games was overly optimistic. Fortunately this didn't hurt us too badly. We showed signs of life and there is still time this season.

Jan 1, 2010
2nd half was just a mess after IV's 2 missed 3 attempts....BUT

Our record is still good and 2nd half of the season is available for recovery...... IT IS NOW UP TO THE COACHES to right the ship....

We KNOW the talent is there!

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
VCU got schooled, and very badly I might add.There is no way in H*ll they win that game at home. That 20 point run was as bad as anything I've seen on the floor in a long while.
It is my considered opinion that, if you stipulate there had to be a 20 point run, we would be in the right side of it at home. We'll see. Actually a good bit of encouraging signs far as I'm concerned.

Dayton's good no doubt, but they have exploitable weaknesses and our game plan worked - aside from missing shots, of course. By and large they weren't bad shots or were understandable given the situation. Can't afford any scoring droughts long enough for me to fix a decent breakfast if we want to win, but you can say that about opponents that're a lot worse than the Fliers.

Plenty to improve, no doubt about that. I think they (players and staff) can and will. Lose to SBU and I'll probably be ready to join the abandon ship folk, tho :D

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
It is my considered opinion that, if you stipulate there had to be a 20 point run, we would be in the right side of it at home. We'll see. Actually a good bit of encouraging signs far as I'm concerned.

Dayton's good no doubt, but they have exploitable weaknesses and our game plan worked - aside from missing shots, of course. By and large they weren't bad shots or were understandable given the situation. Can't afford any scoring droughts long enough for me to fix a decent breakfast if we want to win, but you can say that about opponents that're a lot worse than the Fliers.

Plenty to improve, no doubt about that. I think they (players and staff) can and will. Lose to SBU and I'll probably be ready to join the abandon ship folk, tho :D
The kids couldn't hit water if they were in a boat tonight. That was as bad as it gets I hope.

Reactions: mrgeode
May 19, 2015
PRINT AND USE AS TOILET PAPER.