The Official Beat The Fayers in Ohio Thread

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Tonight was not only potentially the beginning of the end of VCU's at-large chances this season, but it could even be the beginning of the end of an entire era of success and dominance at VCU that has been built up for literally more than a decade, if everyone doesn't come to their senses very quickly. VCU now has five losses this season, and they have been against the five best teams we've faced. In other words, this is not a fluke but rather the reality and byproduct of having a legitimately subpar, or even poor and lackluster, team, if the standard is to be in a position to earn an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament, which was starting to become the standard at VCU. Very hard to deny this after tonight. The team is simply broken. Offense is an absolute travesty, and there legitimately may be some DII or DIII teams that could beat us on the right day. Bones Hyland needs to start for Marcus Evans immediately. Marcus is a warrior for fighting through so many tough injuries, but his body is just not there to compete at a high D1 level anymore. He's an absolute turnover machine. Machine! Santos Silva is the only consistently great, or even good, player for VCU night and night out. Vann has totally forgotten how to play basketball. Vince Williams alternates between shooting smooth swishes and horrific bricks every game. Rhoades is showing very little emotion even as we get our tail kicked. Somehow, nearly a decade after the Final Four team and then, after that, Briante Weber, we seem to have completely regressed in terms of passion and intensity on the court. If VCU doesn't land an at-large berth and doesn't win the A-10 Tournament, VCU will have missed the Big Dance 2 of 3 years under Rhoades. Haven't been back to the Sweet 16 since 2011 Final Four run. Meanwhile, Butler is the No. 6 team in the country. Scary, scary times folks.
:shock:

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
EDIT, That game could have gone better, but the 20 point run doomed them. They have got to hit the open shots when they're there. Dayton also was lights out all night, so that made it even more difficult.
Yes. They are lights out. Last night wasn't an unusually good night for them. That's why they are a top 10 squad. Very impressive.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
This is for the young pups on this board. The reason I enjoy sports is because of the way it parallels real life. Success is never a straight line. Adversity will always be encountered. There will be bad days and bad stretches. I don't think this team is as good as we thought this year (top 25). But we are far from bad. We need to beat the Bonnies Saturday and establish a floor to our recent down spiral. And then, inch by inch, start climbing back up the A10 and NCAA heirarchy.
Instead of wasting time bitching about this loss, take some perspective from what you have seen and apply it. Make some adjustments at home with some relationships. Tweak your inner starting line-up at work and make a bigger impact. Hustle more. Find something to aim at both personally and professionally and then work toward it, making adjustments along the way. I guarantee your journey won't be all wins. Don't give up when you make mistakes or things don't turn out the way you expected. Keep charging on. And enjoy it! That's how life works.

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The reason I enjoy sports is because of the way it parallels real life. Success is never a straight line. Adversity will always be encountered. There will be bad days and bad stretches. I don't think this team is as good as we thought this year (top 25). But we are far from bad. We need to beat the Bonnies Saturday and establish a floor to our recent down spiral. And then, inch by inch, start climbing back up the A10 and NCAA heirarchy. And enjoy it! That's how life works.
This was our year...right? Everybody back from a 16-2 A10 squad. Senior loaded . Pre season top 25... Picked to win the league. If this year.... to date...doesn't disappoint then I'm not sure what to tell ya. We didn't lose a close game..we got steamrolled...it was a dunk fest. We didn't look like we belong on the same floor with Dayton and that followed a beat down on our home floor against an average Rhoade island team.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
This was our year...right? Everybody back from a 16-2 A10 squad. Senior loaded . Pre season top 25... Picked to win the league. If this year.... to date...doesn't disappoint then I'm not sure what to tell ya. We didn't lose a close game..we got steamrolled...it was a dunk fest. We didn't look like we belong on the same floor with Dayton and that followed a beat down on our home floor against an average Rhoade island team.
There is plenty of adversity and challenges in my real life that I handle each day. I like sports to be the escape. With all you list above, I was hopeful for a great season, capped by a fun trip to Brooklyn. Now....not feeling it currently.

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
The sky is not falling on this year's basketball team. This is a solid basketball team, and this is going be a very good team at the end of the year. Looking at the last two games the big difference, resulting in a VCU loss, are the points made at the free throw line. Cut down on turnovers, and with fewer fouls, your seniors should never get 3 technical fouls in a game as they did against Dayton, this team can beat a Dayton.