The Official Beat The Fayers in Ohio Thread

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I'd wholeheartedly agree about the first half. I was believing they could pull off a win if they could hang around.

The second half could be any number of things, but it seemed like Dayton adjusted their game, and stopped what VCU was doing successfully in the first half. So was that the kids just missing opportunities, not being able to step up, or our coaches not adjusting ?

Last season defense was the key to many wins. Time to make it tough for the opposition to score, wear them out, and use that to create offensive opportunities. Works for UVA.
Without a doubt Dayton adjusted... not gonna take that away from them. I'm just curious as to why Bones & Vann only took 2 shots each in the 2nd half after a really good first half by both?

Now, I know towards the middle & end of that 20 something run by Dayton... it was prob a lot of desperation because the game was slipping away from them and all that..... but after the 2 missed 3's from Vann.... and even just during that initial 9-0 stretch by Dayton before MR called a Timeout.... why did we get away from what was keeping us in the game up until that point? We weren't running set plays, we weren't taking care of the ball, we weren't getting good looks..... everything felt rushed & hurried.

With 15 mins left in the game & down 9.... there's still A LOT of game left.... there was no reason to start rushing things.

Reactions: RamStrut

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
What are y'all talking about?
Redd Isaac Vann
2 hrs
It's totally disgusting to see how quick you guys turn on these kids! They are College Athletes who go out there and try their best every single day, whether its practice, weights or game day.
I have become a little more vocal in defending my son in these groups, but I'm aware that he isn't playing his best offensive game. He graduated as the leading scorer in his high school history, he definitely can rack up points, but he is an unselfish player. I see why most parents don't stick around, its not due to not having thick skin, its probably due to the fact that many of you guys are fairweather fans. This is a mid-major school and they will not win every game... expectations are set and these kids try to hold up their end, but just because a team is ranked or predicted preseason favorites, that doesn't mean other teams are going to lay down when vcu walks into the gym. Expectations only put a bullseye on your back and other teams play harder against you to try to knock you off. Could this team play better? SURE they can, but when you look at the team as a whole and all of your seniors have regressed, there is a bigger issue than them missing open shots or taking better shots. There is an elephant in the room and you guys are consciously (with the exception of a few members) ignoring it. You guys prefer to beat these players down on social media than to uplift them but you defend the coaches. Players play and coaches coach, they both have significant roles, when it comes to the TEAM 👉 progression, motivation, game planning, adjustments and taking the right time-outs are not the job of the players. This team has 12 wins and a handful of losses. Don't cheer them on at the games and then talk bad about them on social media, if you guys are going to love them, love them unconditionally. I think many parents have bit their tongues in these groups, and I would love to say this:
For anyone who has something negative to say about my son, please show me YOUR child's stats at VCU or any other school Mid Major or High Major!
Its sad to see how quickly you guys turn on these players.
Go Rams and Go IV23 ❤

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
at this stage of the season Dayton is simply a better team with better individual talent then VCU. VCU was an offensively challenged team last year and remains one this season, that is not going to change much (though we will have a few games that we hit 50-60% of our shots, especially if we are able to run freely).
Our success is only going to come from playing top 50 defense with pressure to win the battle of turnovers, limiting our opponents second shots and moving the ball on offense to get open shots and converting them
I would love to see us get a little tougher on the court but just not sure that is in the offing for the remainder of the season. We remain more of a finesse team
I remain an optimist about this team but those seniors need to start playing with a little bit more of urgency as their collegiate careers draw toward a close.
The only banana peel game we have had so far is URI, (simply because we should not lose home conference games to teams when we have so much experience and probably more talent than our opponent) SOOO the sky is not falling yet
and top 2 to 4 is still doable in the conference (double bye in Brooklyn)
This is not to say I am not frustrated a little - I am, like most of you
But I have been a RAM fan for over 40 years and will remain so through thick and thin and I still believe in this team
Go RAMS and let's put a 20 point drubbing on the Bonnies this weekend
Also if you've been around long enough we've seen low points worse than this and have climbed out of them. I may not be as optimistic as you at this point but I still think it's realistic for us to right the ship and get it together when we need it most. I'd rather peak going into the tournament than shoot our load now.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
What are y'all talking about?
Vann’s father posted on Facebook in defense of his son after all the negative comments towards IV. He said to look at the “Elephant in the room.” Seemed like he was referring to the coaching staff.

Reactions: GRID

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
Vann’s father posted on Facebook in defense of his son after all the negative comments towards IV. He said to look at the “Elephant in the room.” Seemed like he was referring to the coaching staff.
I mean, if he wants to try to dump on the coach that's fine but the coach is the reason his son is receiving the big starter's minutes he has enjoyed the entire season with not as much production.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Redd Isaac Vann
2 hrs
It's totally disgusting to see how quick you guys turn on these kids! They are College Athletes who go out there and try their best every single day, whether its practice, weights or game day.
I have become a little more vocal in defending my son in these groups, but I'm aware that he isn't playing his best offensive game. He graduated as the leading scorer in his high school history, he definitely can rack up points, but he is an unselfish player. I see why most parents don't stick around, its not due to not having thick skin, its probably due to the fact that many of you guys are fairweather fans. This is a mid-major school and they will not win every game... expectations are set and these kids try to hold up their end, but just because a team is ranked or predicted preseason favorites, that doesn't mean other teams are going to lay down when vcu walks into the gym. Expectations only put a bullseye on your back and other teams play harder against you to try to knock you off. Could this team play better? SURE they can, but when you look at the team as a whole and all of your seniors have regressed, there is a bigger issue than them missing open shots or taking better shots. There is an elephant in the room and you guys are consciously (with the exception of a few members) ignoring it. You guys prefer to beat these players down on social media than to uplift them but you defend the coaches. Players play and coaches coach, they both have significant roles, when it comes to the TEAM 👉 progression, motivation, game planning, adjustments and taking the right time-outs are not the job of the players. This team has 12 wins and a handful of losses. Don't cheer them on at the games and then talk bad about them on social media, if you guys are going to love them, love them unconditionally. I think many parents have bit their tongues in these groups, and I would love to say this:
For anyone who has something negative to say about my son, please show me YOUR child's stats at VCU or any other school Mid Major or High Major!
Its sad to see how quickly you guys turn on these players.
Go Rams and Go IV23 ❤
Certainly understand where he's coming from as a parent, but certainly don't agree with sentiment that people have turned on the kids. If anything, I think a lot of fans have been very patient. But we're past the halfway mark. What does he expect?

I will say this though, I have wondered about the coaching staff relative to the type of staff Shaka put together.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
The beauty of having a veteran team is that it should require minimal players development at this point.
I agree but they are still very young in terms of age/life experience and could still use plenty of direction. They’re still developing and any player always has room for improvement. I would expect to see different adjustments during the game to put them in a better chance to succeed when the original game plan isn’t working. Rhoades has been around the Game long enough where you’d think he’d have all kinds of things up his sleeve.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I mean, if he wants to try to dump on the coach that's fine but the coach is the reason his son is receiving the big starter's minutes he has enjoyed the entire season with not as much production.
If my kid ever had played ball at this level, I would have become a social media hermit. Any sports fan knows player discussion (bad and good) is going to ebb and flow as the team does. It's naive to think otherwise.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
And the same staff developed him from a defensive liability to one of the better defenders on the team when he's playing focused basketball.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I agree but they are still very young in terms of age/life experience and could still use plenty of direction. They’re still developing and any player always has room for improvement. I would expect to see different adjustments during the game to put them in a better chance to succeed when the original game plan isn’t working. Rhoades has been around the Game long enough where you’d think he’d have all kinds of things up his sleeve.
They're seniors. The time for developing has passed. It's time to be polishing their skill set.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
If my kid ever had played ball at this level, I would have become a social media hermit. Any sports fan knows player discussion (bad and good) is going to ebb and flow as the team does. It's naive to think otherwise.
Totally agree. It is bad enough being a parent with a kid playing rec league sports and occasionally hearing people say stuff. i can't imagine having a high profile D1 athlete and being on social media reading stuff about my kid. At the same time, Vann transferred from Maine to perform on a bigger stage. Comes with the territory.

Reactions: HTTRams! and SWV

umwram

Top Member
Dec 29, 2011
Having slept on the game, I have to wonder if Evans is doing all that nonsense at the end because he's the only one still trying to make a bucket as the game winds down, or if that's his usual misplaced heroics and he's ignoring his team.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Having slept on the game, I have to wonder if Evans is doing all that nonsense at the end because he's the only one still trying to make a bucket as the game winds down, or if that's his usual misplaced heroics and he's ignoring his team.
You could drive yourself crazy thinking about those scenarios. It's like chicken and the egg stuff.