The Official Beat The Fayers in Ohio Thread

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Time to face facts: we are not nearly as good as everyone, including me, thought we would be.
Seems to make the points I stated after the Tennessee game look much more sane now. We've had the same nagging issues for 3 seasons now. The main difference from last year, is that last year our defense was actually better. Certain players seem to just not care.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
Natty posted this in another thread. Don't want to be attacked for my honest thoughts so, I am trying my best today to not comment on anything but, going to leave this right here.

Just from my morning research, I'd say no.

Here's one thing that's been an early killer:

A-10 effective field goal percentage (minutes/A-10 game)
Vann 18.2% (25) on 15 attempts
Curry 15.4% (14.3) on 11 attempts
Williams 21.9% (18) on 11 attempts

Also Marcus Evans' A-10 true shooting percentage is at 49.1% right now, down from 60.3% last season.

That's a lot of dead minutes on the offensive end with the three wings. Vann's % is down from 51.4%, Vince was a 52.5% EFG% in A-10 play last year while Curry barely played really. Basically we've just got a group of important players to this year's team in a VERY legit offensive slump early and all at the same time. They combined to go 0-13 against Rhody and 3-13 at Dayton for a team-killing 11.5% group shooting performance. You just can't beat good teams that way. That group also went 3-9 at Wichita State (missed all their threes) and 4-15 against Tennessee (only 1 was a three) and combined for 6 points against Purdue. According to kenpom Vince has played 44% of our available minutes at the 4 spot the last five games, Issac 57% of the small forward minutes and Key 32% of available minutes backing up De'Ri at the 2. That's a good chunk of minutes slumping on offense.

May 4, 2012
Where do I start?
We got embarrassed tonight. Dayton is a better team, but we shouldn’t be getting blown out by URI at home and Dayton on the road. We lack players that have natural scoring ability, and look very awkward on offense. Nothing comes easy for us. We have multiple seniors doing dumb poop and getting technical fouls called that ignite the home team. I expected us to be very tough, senior led team this year. We are not. I hold the coaching staff accountable for our deficiencies. They need to coach better and recruit players that not only love to play defense, but are gifted on the offensive end of the court too. I know, easier said than done. If we want to be an elite program, things will need to change. The sun will rise tomorrow but I feel like we are letting a once promising season get away from us.
Lack of progression is on the coaching staff.
Yes the kids need to want to progress also but when they dont there is no consequence.

Reactions: Newboy

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Having slept on the game, I have to wonder if Evans is doing all that nonsense at the end because he's the only one still trying to make a bucket as the game winds down, or if that's his usual misplaced heroics and he's ignoring his team.
I don't think he's the only one trying to make baskets as the game winds down... I just think it's his instincts that carry over from playing at Rice. At Rice.... he was "The Guy", he had to put the team on his back. He had to be Superman.... w/e you wanna call it. In Large part because Rice couldn't get a lot of high quality talent.... not because MR can't recruit.... but because it's Rice.

He needs to understand he doesn't need to be that guy here. He doesn't need to drop 20+ every night. heck, last night in the first half, he was barely cracking the box score.... but it was the stuff that doesn't show up in the box score that he was doing that was helping us.

1st Half Stats vs Dayton- 4 pts (1-2 FG, 1-1 3pt, 1-1 FT), 1 Ast, 1 TO, 2 PF (one of which was on that takedown that coulda been a jump ball).

2nd half stats- 9 pts (4-10 FG, 0-2 FG, 1-1 FT), 3 rebs (2 off), 3 asts, 3 stls, 3 TO, 2 PF

And we clearly were a much better team in the first half than most of the 2nd half.... so what does that tell you. It tells you that there are other guys on the team other than just Evans that can play & score. He's not the only guy.... but he often plays like he think he's the 2nd coming of Eric Maynor. But even Maynor, as great as he was & as often as he took over games... even he did a better job getting other guys involved, running plays to get others like Shuler open for 3, or setting Larry Sanders up for a dunk. We need more of that from Evans, less flashy stuff, and more of him getting other guys open.... especially if you don't have the hot hand at the moment & someone else does (like a Bones, or a DJ... or in the first half last night... Vann!).

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I don't think he's the only one trying to make baskets as the game winds down... I just think it's his instincts that carry over from playing at Rice. At Rice.... he was "The Guy", he had to put the team on his back. He had to be Superman.... w/e you wanna call it. In Large part because Rice couldn't get a lot of high quality talent.... not because MR can't recruit.... but because it's Rice.

He needs to understand he doesn't need to be that guy here. He doesn't need to drop 20+ every night. heck, last night in the first half, he was barely cracking the box score.... but it was the stuff that doesn't show up in the box score that he was doing that was helping us.

1st Half Stats vs Dayton- 4 pts (1-2 FG, 1-1 3pt, 1-1 FT), 1 Ast, 1 TO, 2 PF (one of which was on that takedown that coulda been a jump ball).

2nd half stats- 9 pts (4-10 FG, 0-2 FG, 1-1 FT), 3 rebs (2 off), 3 asts, 3 stls, 3 TO, 2 PF

And we clearly were a much better team in the first half than most of the 2nd half.... so what does that tell you. It tells you that there are other guys on the team other than just Evans that can play & score. He's not the only guy.... but he often plays like he think he's the 2nd coming of Eric Maynor. But even Maynor, as great as he was & as often as he took over games... even he did a better job getting other guys involved, running plays to get others like Shuler open for 3, or setting Larry Sanders up for a dunk. We need more of that from Evans, less flashy stuff, and more of him getting other guys open.... especially if you don't have the hot hand at the moment & someone else does (like a Bones, or a DJ... or in the first half last night... Vann!).
With regard to Evans feeling he has to be "the guy," he's played here three years. I haven't heard this rationale until this year.

May 4, 2012
Your observations and assessment are spot on. I believe the meltdowns are a result of buying into the preseason expectations (I’m guilty) and then seeing each of those expeditions fall away one loss at a time.
We were not going to be dramatically different as everyone thought. These seniors had not shown major improvement in prior seasons so i dont know why people expected differently this year.
The A10 got better, we largely did not. A bit deeper perhaps. And Evans' woes are unexpected. At least we know this now.
Just keep going out every night and do our best and hopefully coach addresses the lineup problems.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Redd Isaac Vann
2 hrs
It's totally disgusting to see how quick you guys turn on these kids! They are College Athletes who go out there and try their best every single day, whether its practice, weights or game day.
I have become a little more vocal in defending my son in these groups, but I'm aware that he isn't playing his best offensive game. He graduated as the leading scorer in his high school history, he definitely can rack up points, but he is an unselfish player. I see why most parents don't stick around, its not due to not having thick skin, its probably due to the fact that many of you guys are fairweather fans. This is a mid-major school and they will not win every game... expectations are set and these kids try to hold up their end, but just because a team is ranked or predicted preseason favorites, that doesn't mean other teams are going to lay down when vcu walks into the gym. Expectations only put a bullseye on your back and other teams play harder against you to try to knock you off. Could this team play better? SURE they can, but when you look at the team as a whole and all of your seniors have regressed, there is a bigger issue than them missing open shots or taking better shots. There is an elephant in the room and you guys are consciously (with the exception of a few members) ignoring it. You guys prefer to beat these players down on social media than to uplift them but you defend the coaches. Players play and coaches coach, they both have significant roles, when it comes to the TEAM 👉 progression, motivation, game planning, adjustments and taking the right time-outs are not the job of the players. This team has 12 wins and a handful of losses. Don't cheer them on at the games and then talk bad about them on social media, if you guys are going to love them, love them unconditionally. I think many parents have bit their tongues in these groups, and I would love to say this:
For anyone who has something negative to say about my son, please show me YOUR child's stats at VCU or any other school Mid Major or High Major!
Its sad to see how quickly you guys turn on these players.
Go Rams and Go IV23 ❤
If it were me.... this is what I would've done first thing this morning.

1. Call a players only meeting.... don't know if there's any disconnect between players or not.... but they should at least get the guys together, see if there are any complaints, concerns, opinions, suggestions..... etc. Let the players hash what they can out amongst themselves.

Then after that....

2. Call an entire team meeting. Go around the room, and anyone (players or coaches) that have concerns/complaints/opinions/suggestions.... & let them get it off their chest & lets get things resolved.

3. This afternoon/evening.... watch film/get in a good practice.... or whatever their usual routine is... but with everyone haven gotten everything their thinking/feeling off their chests & now focused solely on the Bonnies on Saturday.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
What I find interesting is that the family members get upset when people criticize the players, saying they are working their butts off and don't deserve it, yet turn around and criticize the coaches. Are the coaches not working their butts off? Are these not forums where one could speak their mind....of course doing so politely but, is that not what these forums are created for? Do we all have to be 100 percent positive all the time? On FB, there are multiple groups, one that is a (100 percent positive group). I am curious, do all schools have a positive group? I am guessing no, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: GRID and JDPolio