The Official Beat The Fayers in Ohio Thread

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
With regard to Evans feeling he has to be "the guy," he's played here three years. I haven't heard this rationale until this year.
3 years? I think you've miscounted. He had to sit out 2017-18 due to transfer rules.... so this is only his 2nd year of playing here.

And I said it numerous times last year.... especially after he had multiple 5 TO games....including the St. John's game... where all people wanna talk about was him getting fouled & the foul not getting called.... But no one wanted to talk about the fact that it shoulda never gotten to that point.

It probably just got lost because for the most part we were looking a lot better & stronger, even in losses last year.

Plus, I think Evans himself mentioned it on a post game show with Mike & Robby earlier this year (can't remember what game they interviewed him)…. but it came "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTTRams!

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
Natty posted this in another thread. Don't want to be attacked for my honest thoughts so, I am trying my best today to not comment on anything but, going to leave this right here.

Just from my morning research, I'd say no.

Here's one thing that's been an early killer:

A-10 effective field goal percentage (minutes/A-10 game)
Vann 18.2% (25) on 15 attempts
Curry 15.4% (14.3) on 11 attempts
Williams 21.9% (18) on 11 attempts

Also Marcus Evans' A-10 true shooting percentage is at 49.1% right now, down from 60.3% last season.

That's a lot of dead minutes on the offensive end with the three wings. Vann's % is down from 51.4%, Vince was a 52.5% EFG% in A-10 play last year while Curry barely played really. Basically we've just got a group of important players to this year's team in a VERY legit offensive slump early and all at the same time. They combined to go 0-13 against Rhody and 3-13 at Dayton for a team-killing 11.5% group shooting performance. You just can't beat good teams that way. That group also went 3-9 at Wichita State (missed all their threes) and 4-15 against Tennessee (only 1 was a three) and combined for 6 points against Purdue. According to kenpom Vince has played 44% of our available minutes at the 4 spot the last five games, Issac 57% of the small forward minutes and Key 32% of available minutes backing up De'Ri at the 2. That's a good chunk of minutes slumping on offense.
It doesn't help that we were playing a team that shoots 52% from the arc this season. Last night they shot 33% to our 15%. Can't win any that way.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I have no interest in going back to read the in game thread much like I had no desire to post during the game. I am choosing to focus on the positives.

• Bizzy Bones Hyland,,,,nothing else needs to be said
  • 2nd straight game where Deri looked aggressive, It is important for him to keep up this level of play(It feels like it has hit him that his college career is almost over)
  • MSS footwork and use of his body is a thing of beauty
  • While not reflected in the box score last night, the eye test suggest that IV seems to be turning the corner

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Natty posted this in another thread. Don't want to be attacked for my honest thoughts so, I am trying my best today to not comment on anything but, going to leave this right here.

Just from my morning research, I'd say no.

Here's one thing that's been an early killer:

A-10 effective field goal percentage (minutes/A-10 game)
Vann 18.2% (25) on 15 attempts
Curry 15.4% (14.3) on 11 attempts
Williams 21.9% (18) on 11 attempts

Also Marcus Evans' A-10 true shooting percentage is at 49.1% right now, down from 60.3% last season.

That's a lot of dead minutes on the offensive end with the three wings. Vann's % is down from 51.4%, Vince was a 52.5% EFG% in A-10 play last year while Curry barely played really. Basically we've just got a group of important players to this year's team in a VERY legit offensive slump early and all at the same time. They combined to go 0-13 against Rhody and 3-13 at Dayton for a team-killing 11.5% group shooting performance. You just can't beat good teams that way. That group also went 3-9 at Wichita State (missed all their threes) and 4-15 against Tennessee (only 1 was a three) and combined for 6 points against Purdue. According to kenpom Vince has played 44% of our available minutes at the 4 spot the last five games, Issac 57% of the small forward minutes and Key 32% of available minutes backing up De'Ri at the 2. That's a good chunk of minutes slumping on offense.
Data backs up the eye test

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I have no interest in going back to read the in game thread much like I had no desire to post during the game. I am choosing to focus on the positives.

• Bizzy Bones Hyland,,,,nothing else needs to be said
  • 2nd straight game where Deri looked aggressive, It is important for him to keep up this level of play(It feels like it has hit him that his college career is almost over)
  • MSS footwork and use of his body is a thing of beauty
  • While not reflected in the box score last night, the eye test suggest that IV seems to be turning the corner
All very good points.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Right now, our problem is our defensive approach

Last year, our success was predicated on solid half court team defense to get stops and using the press in a judicious manner. As a result. we had the energy to execute at a high level on both ends of the floor for the entire game.

This year, we rely on the old style havoc press all for most of the game to get steals.

We end up too physically and mentally fatigued by the second half which results in unforced mental errors at both ends of the floor(lazy passes, travelling, double dribble, coughing up the balls with no defenders around, missed defensive assignments for wide open 3's and dunks.) and eventually absorb the opposition's insurmountable run. You can tell because the entire lineup on the floor is committing mental errors at the same time.

If I were Mike Rhoades, I would get back to last season's defensive approach.

Reactions: VCU85
May 4, 2012
Having slept on the game, I have to wonder if Evans is doing all that nonsense at the end because he's the only one still trying to make a bucket as the game winds down, or if that's his usual misplaced heroics and he's ignoring his team.
Yes and yes.
The kid had a ton of drive and it frustrates him when he cant make things happen. Vann too is prone to frustration.
Drive is good but can be a double edged sword.