The Official Beat The Fayers in Ohio Thread

Jan 8, 2020
Alternative perspective: we haven't accomplished much without Havoc/pressing style that began with Grant's arrival (remember, he brought over what they were running at Florida). You really have to go back to the early-mid 80s to find a period in which we had major success playing more traditional.

What's interesting is during Capel's tenure here there were people were calling for us to press full time. It's also interesting that the former VCU coaches who pressed when they were here no longer press (Shaka, Grant & Wade).

I honestly don't think we've been very "havoc-like" since Shaka's departure.
I don't think we've been havoc-like since Weber left.

Reactions: Ramdog and RamStrut

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I don't get the anti-HAVOC posts. It happens every time we lose.
Defense is our strong point. It's the main reason we are 12-5 and not 5-12. I understand the criticism when we are giving up easy layups, but that hasn't been a problem lately. It's our style and we recruit players just for it. Changing it would be disastrous.

Offense is the problem.
LOL me too. I’ve watched VCU basketball since 1999 mainly due to my age (born in ‘92) so the best teams I’ve seen were HAVOC-based teams. I wish our offense was better at times, but I don’t know how to watch basketball other than seeing my team turn the other team over a bunch.

Reactions: mrA10

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
My God, I had never even taken a look at the VCU “positive” Facebook page until today.

What a display of pious obnoxiousness. Those folks would worship a wet fart emanating from the VCU locker room showers.

Makes me very happy to have a place like VCURN. All the rest are awful. A little nonsense here and there, solid basketball talk, minimal derogatory comments, and not too much player worship. The guys here do it right. Always have.
It truly is mind blowing and mind numbing. Cringe levels are off the charts on that "positive" page. Then you have the complete opposite on the "Good, the bad, the ugly" page where we could win by 50 and you'd only see complaints.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
It's awful and the people on there know absolutely nothing about basketball.

I do not like criticizing college athletes. I am sure many on here have noticed that, but the "positive" page is the equivalent of participation trophies where they seem happy for our effort even if we look awful.
And the constant posts of people asking for the score is insane. Do people not understand sports tracker apps like ESPN? Or how much faster Google would be than waiting for a response? It's insane.

Reactions: theyaintwantit
Jan 15, 2020
My God, I had never even taken a look at the VCU “positive” Facebook page until today.

What a display of pious obnoxiousness. Those folks would worship a wet fart emanating from the VCU locker room showers.

Makes me very happy to have a place like VCURN. All the rest are awful. A little nonsense here and there, solid basketball talk, minimal derogatory comments, and not too much player worship. The guys here do it right. Always have.
The positive group broke off from the VCU basketball fans group a few years ago because they found any negative comment to be unacceptable. So a group upped and left. I’ve been admining the VCU basketball fans group with three others for about 10 years or more. We occasionally get a idiot like today. He was trying to stir stuff the last few days and we tried being patient then he got into a public/then private/then public battle with Vann’s dad on our page.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
And the constant posts of people asking for the score is insane. Do people not understand sports tracker apps like ESPN? Or how much faster Google would be than waiting for a response? It's insane.
This. People on there constantly ask when the tip off times start and what station the telecasts will be on. I know I’m a millennial, but boomers know how to type VCUAthletics.com into a URL right?

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
The positive group broke off from the VCU basketball fans group a few years ago because they found any negative comment to be unacceptable. So a group upped and left. I’ve been admining the VCU basketball fans group with three others for about 10 years or more. We occasionally get a idiot like today. He was trying to stir stuff the last few days and we tried being patient then he got into a public/then private/then public battle with Vann’s dad on our page.
I appreciate your help rambunctious. There are sh1theads every where.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I don't get the anti-HAVOC posts. It happens every time we lose.
Defense is our strong point. It's the main reason we are 12-5 and not 5-12. I understand the criticism when we are giving up easy layups, but that hasn't been a problem lately. It's our style and we recruit players just for it. Changing it would be disastrous.

Offense is the problem.
And offense is the problem because we are just too tired ...our guys are all tuckered out. Poor kids need a half time nap

Reactions: RamStrut

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
“The VCU Rams are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful basketball team I’ve ever known in my life.”
“The VCU Rams are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful basketball team I’ve ever known in my life.”

Jan 6, 2020
I've read a good bit of the pages on this site, I get it there is a lot of frustration with the Rams and their performance, it's not this year, it's the last 8 years. What really stings is the Coach who put that team together, Anthony Grant, put the smack down on us with a team that probably has more in common with our 2011 team than with our current team concept trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. What's the solution, I dont know, but i do know getting back to that 2011 season is highly unlikely for a VCU level program. I think the fan base at times has unrealistic expectations due to our one exceptional year, that's OK, just don't put yourself in an early grave over it.
Did Anthony Grant put that team together or his he reaping Archie Millers recruiting gold? Obi is an Archie recruit who continued onto Grant. People forget that basketball is about identity and culture. You have to get your guys for your system! MR is in his 3rd year and if you look at the totality of what he's done, it's insanely good. Shaka came into a CAA team, this is the A-10 and it just so happens that A-10 has gotten VERY good at basketball. The dysfunction behind the scenes with Will Wade (the team despised him) (doughty getting in trouble...wait what?) was awful until MR got there. He changed that culture and is continuing to do so. If we want to bang with the big boys, we have to recruit big men and 6'11, 7'0 big men. I see a move to the big east eventually - it makes complete sense being a non football school and much more sense travel wise than an A-10 schedule.

Reactions: NCRam
Jan 15, 2020
I appreciate your help rambunctious. There are sh1theads every where.
I took issues as a admin and fan with some of the dad’s comments as well.

1). You gotta be better than that as far as going after a fan’s daughter. That is a no win.

2). The mid major comment. He made it sound like it’s only a mid major. Dude there expectations here and mid major title doesn’t change that. That sounds horrible as far as how you phrased that.

3. Calling out coaches. Absolutely a no no.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
And when was the last time a player's parent, or a player, bantered back and forth with a poster on these boards? I can't recall it ever happening. Those Facebook groups are nothing but train wrecks. The same with the Twitter pillow fights with players/parents. This message board is a lot more controlled and sane than those other sites.
Closest thing I remember was after the Cincinnati game back in 2015 when Melvin Johnson had the worst game of his career and we lost by 6 at home.... people were going in hard after him having 1 bad game.... and then his mom came on here in his defense.

Only thing I'll say in response to all this is.... if you can't say anything nice.... don't make any direct contact with players or family members. Whether what you are saying is True or Not, the players and/or the family members are almost always going to snap back at you. Maybe not always to the level that Vann's dad did, but that's beside the point.

Some will say you shouldn't talk to the players family period.... but some of them are actually very nice & approachable. Over the years, I've interacted with many parents of players for both our MBB & WBB team... but I made sure to be respectful when talking to them & not start critiquing their child's play. And I've yet to have a bad experience with any of them.

Now, does that mean that when one of them have a rough game, that I don't mention it on here? Absoultely not, I've mentioned many of players that have had bad games or rough stretches.... heck recently I've mentioned ME a bunch.... but I try to be somewhat respectful while doing it... and I certainly don't try to start stuff with his dad or anything like that.

In the same regard though, Players / Family Members need to take a lot of what fans say with a grain of salt. Unless they start getting personal with the attacks (and I don't mean if someone is in a slump or had a career worst game)... It's best if family members just ignore the social media stuff, especially the ones who think the sky is falling or the season is over after any or every loss.

I get it, It's natural to come to their child's defense..... but lets be honest here.... more than half the people on these Message Boards, Facebook, Twitter.... etc. Never played or coached any sport on a college or professional level. So if the parents really feel the need to say something or get the last word in.... just be like "Did you or any of your kids ever play a D-1 sport?" and then block the person from contacting you before they can respond. That'll end it right then and there.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamStrut