The Official Beat The Fayers of Dayton in The Animal Thread

Apr 20, 2009
Hope we can keep this within single digits. Don't press (but I know we will) and mix up the defense ( we won't) or we could get torched. Not sure how we are going to cut back on our turnovers but I'm expecting more of the same. Hope I can eat crow on Saturday but I'm not holding my breath.
Coaching basketball 101. When the opposing coach calls timeout, he is setting his next offensive play (even if they're on defense). Switch your defense for at least one possession. You can switch back to your normal defense next possession because by then the players will have forgotten everything that was said during the timeout. Bona actually did this once last night. They came out in a zone. We hit a corner 3 and next possession they were back to man-to-man. Didn't work in that example, but the play designed in the timeout has zero chance of being run properly if you change defense.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
One of the nation's top offenses hit a stunning snag on Thursday night as No. 4 Iowa took a late nosedive in a 81-69 home loss to Indiana. The Hawkeyes went 11 minutes in the second half without a field goal as the Hoosiers turned a nine-point, second-half deficit into a double-digit lead in the final minutes.

Seems we are not alone in having a second half brain fart?

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
One of the nation's top offenses hit a stunning snag on Thursday night as No. 4 Iowa took a late nosedive in a 81-69 home loss to Indiana. The Hawkeyes went 11 minutes in the second half without a field goal as the Hoosiers turned a nine-point, second-half deficit into a double-digit lead in the final minutes.

Yep. Basketball happens. With so many underclassmen on this team, I'm more interested in how they respond going forward than in replaying the past.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Win or lose, I would LOVE to see TWO good halves of basketball.
They don't even need to be great, but TWO good halves of basketball would be nice to watch.

I hear ya....let's start with that.
Anyone who didn't allow space in their mind for the probability of struggle games with such a young team who didn't really get a pre-season/off-season of any normalcy is just being foolish.
Dayton is good, we get to play at home, and I heavily doubt that anyone in that locker room felt "good" on any level after the Olean result.

Let's Go Rams!!

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

Nah, Iowa's season is totally over. No regrouping from that whatsoever. Time to plan for next season.

At least, according to the logic of some of the posts in the St. Bona game thread.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I thought I read in one of the threads where someone posted a stat indicating how young our team is relative to the other teams in the country, but I can’t find it. Help?

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
I thought I read in one of the threads where someone posted a stat indicating how young our team is relative to the other teams in the country, but I can’t find it. Help?
Not sure if this is at all what you meant but per KenPom

Ours/Yours/National Avg
Bench Minutes:15.3% 347th38.7% 32nd31.4%
Experience:2.52 yrs 5th1.28 yrs 301st1.75