The Official Beat The Fayers of Dayton in The Animal Thread

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
All I'm saying is just try to do something different. I was at the game sitting next to some Duke fans and they couldn't believe that we wouldn't at least attempt to try another defense.
Not trying to start an argument. I am only here for civil debate. Syracuse recently lost to UVA by 23 points. Did Syracuse switch to man defense? No because they play zone. That is who they are.I am not saying its right or wrong but just something to consider. Would I like to see a zone mixed occasionally? Sure but not a well this isn't working but as a change of pace out of timeouts and dead balls as a way to give the offense something else to think about.

Nov 26, 2017
Not trying to start an argument. I am only here for civil debate. Syracuse recently lost to UVA by 23 points. Did Syracuse switch to man defense? No because they play zone. That is who they are.I am not saying its right or wrong but just something to consider. Would I like to see a zone mixed occasionally? Sure but not a well this isn't working but as a change of pace out of timeouts and dead balls as a way to give the offense something else to think about.
I guess some of my frustration is that I truly believe that this team has the talent to at least get out of the first weekend of the tournament but I feel that you have to make some adjustments to compete. I have beat the horse dead so I will let it go. Im done with it.

Reactions: Ramaholic

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I guess some of my frustration is that I truly believe that this team has the talent to at least get out of the first weekend of the tournament but I feel that you have to make some adjustments to compete. I have beat the horse dead so I will let it go. Im done with it.
Maybe the staff is saving the zone for the first weekend so that there won't be any film on it :D

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Maybe the staff is saving the zone for the first weekend so that there won't be any film on it :D
If they're waiting to pull out the zone in the tourney, we're not going to want there to be any film of that debacle ........ ever. : )

Jan 15, 2020
Here’s the thing in years past under Shaka, Wade, and Rhoades we live and die by man to man. It’s like once in a blue moon we go zone. Sometimes it works well and sometimes we’re really bad at it because we never do it. Now personally if we do zone I’d like us to try 2-3 match up. UR notably used it back in their sweet 16 year. They completely stumped us in our game that year. It takes away open 3’s but also really makes it tough to get inside.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Here’s the thing in years past under Shaka, Wade, and Rhoades we live and die by man to man. It’s like once in a blue moon we go zone. Sometimes it works well and sometimes we’re really bad at it because we never do it. Now personally if we do zone I’d like us to try 2-3 match up. UR notably used it back in their sweet 16 year. They completely stumped us in our game that year. It takes away open 3’s but also really makes it tough to get inside.
Lol.

Reactions: Aries
Nov 28, 2020
Not really an Xs and Os guy, but this is totally counterintuitive.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Not really an Xs and Os guy, but this is totally counterintuitive.
Exactly. A great 2-3 zone defense requires just as much effort as a great man-to-man defense. If any player does not stay focused on their role the other defenders will have to compensate. It can lead to open gaps and easy scores. The biggest disadvantage of a 2-3 zone defense is that it can struggle against great outside shooting teams. Of course, those are the disadvantages and there are advantages. Defense whether it is zone or man to man requires focus and effort.

Reactions: TampaKAP and PRock