The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This team has had plenty of kicks in the rear, it doesn't seem to help.
This team's best wins are LSU and Richmond with now what appears to be a Q4 loss at home where the team rarely loses. Playing like that knowing what is at stake is a shame. This is a real downer. Hope they decide to shock the world in Brooklyn because running through @ UR, Dayton and @SLU does not seem too promising.

Apr 19, 2009
We were absolutely destroyed on the boards and I honestly don't know why I would expect anything other. For whatever reason our starters, outside of Santos-Silva, are not known for banging under the glass. Our length doesn't seem to make up for the shortcomings in the paint. I do wonder if someone like McCallister doesn't improve the rebound margin on a night when points are hard to come by. We've had smaller lineups but I can't recall a worse VCU team than the one we have now when it comes to rebounding.
Every time I have seen McAllister get play time he is aggressive. Coach is riding these seniors but they are not getting it done.

Last edited:

RamDaddio

Top Member
Apr 18, 2015
Well, the bill came due tonight. You could feel the potential for this all year long with the inconsistency of effort and focus, mostly by the seniors IMO. They've been able to save themselves all year, for the most part, but tonight proved they're not good enough to turn it on and off at will. Not sure why a senior laden team isn't laser focused on having their last year be the best possible. I'm afraid some of these guys think they're better than they are.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
I realized when I was raked over the coals a couple of years ago that it’s a different era than when I came along. Coaches yelled when you screwed up—that’s just what they did. Now, it’s thought of as not doing any good.
Funny, if I didn’t put forth effort when I was playing sports in high school I would get yanked so hard my head would spin and the coach would clearly help me understand why I was “out side the lines” watching the game. I felt the clear and concise way he delivered his message was all the inspiration/motivation I needed to step it up. If he had just patted me on the head and told me to go take a few minutes to think about why I was pulled I believe I would have bitten through my mouth piece to have kept from laughing.

Reactions: SWV

RamBamBiggalow

Top Member
Jul 16, 2018
MR was a feel good hire that this board lauded as a "player's coach" as they desperately clung to the past of Shaka in typical Virginia cant move on fashion. Now we got a D3 hire that doesn't call timeouts, doesn't draw up good plays, and is too much of a nice guy to get any fire out of anybody. Just the same ol VCU over hyped defensive brand that blows out smaller teams, chokes in pivotal moments, and cant seem to be on the winning end of any close meaningful game.

Reiterates my belief that we should have went outside the coaching tree with all this investment and new facilities a new approach with the best coach we could get could have taken us to another level.

Three seasons in: one really bad, one and done in a down year, and now a massive underacheivement.

If you think future recruits are gonna change this scenario you are a dreamer. The evidence is already clear.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Well, the bill came due tonight. You could feel the potential for this all year long with the inconsistency of effort and focus, mostly by the seniors IMO. They've been able to save themselves all year, for the most part, but tonight proved they're not good enough to turn it on and off at will. Not sure why a senior laden team isn't laser focused on having their last year be the best possible. I'm afraid some of these guys think they're better than they are.
We're learning seniors do not necessarily equal leadership.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
MR was a feel good hire that this board lauded as a "player's coach" as they desperately clung to the past of Shaka in typical Virginia cant move on fashion. Now we got a D3 hire that doesn't call timeouts, doesn't draw up good plays, and is too much of a nice guy to get any fire out of anybody. Just the same ol VCU over hyped defensive brand that blows out smaller teams, chokes in pivotal moments, and cant seem to be on the winning end of any close meaningful game.

Reiterates my belief that we should have went outside the coaching tree with all this investment and new facilities a new approach with the best coach we could get could have taken us to another level.

Three seasons in: one really bad, one and done in a down year, and now a massive underacheivement.

If you think future recruits are gonna change this scenario you are a dreamer. The evidence is already clear.
This is totally unfair. Five years as a D1 assistant, assisted on a final four team, three years as a D1 head coach before returning to VCU, A10 regular season championship, NCAA appearance, A10 coach of the year. I'm sorry, calling him a D3 hire is ridiculous.

Last edited:

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009

I’m a big dreamer. I like dreaming. I’ve had a cold all week and the Benedryl has given me some CRAZY dreams. You can say I’m too positive of a VCU fan and that I’ll defend MR, but don’t hate on one who dreams.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Coach speak is getting old. I'd be throwing poop around and cursing up a storm. Several players should be benched and some should be suspended. I've been watching VCU basketball for a long time and this was the worst game that I can remember. Not only ruined the season, but set back the program big time.
This “setting back the program” takes are pretty bad y’all. Can we at least wait until the end of the season to decide if this bad loss to Mason really set the program back?

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I’m a big dreamer. I like dreaming. I’ve had a cold all week and the Benedryl has given me some CRAZY dreams. You can say I’m too positive of a VCU fan and that I’ll defend MR, but don’t hate on one who dreams.
We've basically toss away any margin for error. UR is must win. Dayton is now must, must win. We gotta figure a way to beat Saint Louis and Davidson on the road and not suffer anymore bad losses including in the tournament. We may need to win out and make it to the A10 finals to dance.