The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
This is totally unfair. Five years as a D1 assistant, assisted on a final four team, three years as a D1 head coach, A10 regular season championship, NCAA appearance, A10 coach of the year. I'm sorry, calling him a D3 hire is ridiculous.
I’m not sure how this season will end, but I doubt that come this April there will be any realistic candidate that I would want more than MR. He’s our guy and I believe in him. If you miss your old girlfriends (Shaka and Will) then go run to them. All of your friends will make fun of you because that’s what people do when they can’t get over their ex’s.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
This team's best wins are LSU and Richmond with now what appears to be a Q4 loss at home where the team rarely loses. Playing like that knowing what is at stake is a shame. This is a real downer. Hope they decide to shock the world in Brooklyn because running through @ UR, Dayton and @SLU does not seem too promising.
A REAL downer. Splitting the road games and a win vs Dayton would put us in good shape, but it’s hard to see that right now.

I thought the pre-season hype was a tad too high for a VCU team that ran through a bad A10 last year. But.... we shouldn’t be losing to a bad Mason team at home. We shouldn’t be 17-7 through 24 games this season. 19-5 or 18-6 is what most of us thought the minimum record would be.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
We've basically toss away any margin for error. UR is must win. Dayton is now must, must win. We gotta figure a way to beat Saint Louis and Davidson on the road and not suffer anymore bad losses including in the tournament. We may need to win out and make it to the A10 finals to dance.
Agreed. Even if we went 6-1 down the stretch with a loss to Dayton, our resume would include wins at home vs LSU, home vs Richmond, at Richmond, and at Saint Louis with one bad loss to George Mason. Our record would be 23-8 before the A10 tournament. I still think that would be thin.

Richmond is Saturday and that’s the most important game because it’s the next one, but beating Dayton is the only way I would feel comfortable heading into Brooklyn.

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
This “setting back the program” takes are pretty bad y’all. Can we at least wait until the end of the season to decide if this bad loss to Mason really set the program back?
Making the tournament keeps us relevant.
Winning in the tournament keeps us growing.
Missing the tournament when we were supposed to have the best team in recent memory hurts us big time.
This single lackluster effort likely causes that and takes us for a really bad turn.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
No. Hes your boss/teacher/leader.
My sarcastic point exactly and he should act accordingly. If I’m not meeting expectations don’t sugar coat it, tell me one way or another but I deserve to hear the truth from someone I look to for guidance and direction. I don’t deserve to have my shortcomings glossed over with a board brush statement such as “they wanted it more” or “they our played us”. By not having the facts told to me in a way I can learn and then grow by taking action the relationship between player & coach, boss & employee, teacher & student, or leader & follower breaks down. Mike dropped the ball by glossing over the failures which occurred tonight by lumping them into his generalizations

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
People thought it was horrible wge. Wade got on under performing players. They liked that players smiled with Rhoades.
They thought that smiling players was a goid thing.
And supposedly the team was on the verge of a mutiny if Wade stayed. And to date, Wade has exactly one more NCAA tournament victory at VCU than Rhoades has, and one less A10 regular season championship or coach of the year honor. So let's not fabricate Wade into some all-world coach who's methods were flawless.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Coach speak is getting old. I'd be throwing poop around and cursing up a storm. Several players should be benched and some should be suspended. I've been watching VCU basketball for a long time and this was the worst game that I can remember. Not only ruined the season, but set back the program big time.
Really? What's a "long time?" Since 2013? I can rattle off a ton of worse losses off the dome easily.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Really? What's a "long time?" Since 2013? I can rattle off a ton of worse losses off the dome easily.
The last three home losses of 2011 come to mind. Don’t forget the Brian Johnson hack on Maynor in 2008. Or the JMU home loss in 2005 or the Drexel - Bashir Mason 40 foot heave in 2005.

This loss sucked. There is zero question about that. This loss will DEFINITELY affect our resume whether we make the tournament or not. But I feel like some of y’all just experienced your first bad loss as a VCU fan.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Coach speak is getting old. I'd be throwing poop around and cursing up a storm. Several players should be benched and some should be suspended. I've been watching VCU basketball for a long time and this was the worst game that I can remember. Not only ruined the season, but set back the program big time.
I'm not done with MR yet but his pressers are unlistenable. I haven't sat through an entire one since the first one when he was hired. It's just same cliche after same cliche. I'll give Wade that. His pressers were couldn't miss.