The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
We've basically toss away any margin for error. UR is must win. Dayton is now must, must win. We gotta figure a way to beat Saint Louis and Davidson on the road and not suffer anymore bad losses including in the tournament. We may need to win out and make it to the A10 finals to dance.
Given that we just lost to mason at home, I'd say the scenario above is completely unrealistic. Sure, it might happen, and sure, I'll be rooting for it to happen, but I'm readjusting my expectations to prepare for the NIT.

This is such a disappointment. I can't think of another VCU team in the 21st century that underachieved like this year's team.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
Given that we just lost to mason at home, I'd say the scenario above is completely unrealistic. Sure, it might happen, and sure, I'll be rooting for it to happen, but I'm readjusting my expectations to prepare for the NIT.

This is such a disappointment. I can't think of another VCU team in the 21st century that underachieved like this year's team.
I’d say “hope” for the NIT because if we play the same way against UR and St Louis we will be lucky to get a spot in the CBI

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Let's not start questioning fandom or length of service here. Let's just say I remember the Metro and Sunbelt days.
We could probably have a good debate about many bad games, but this one will sting as much as any of them.
What other season did we expect so much, then see it all end due 40 minutes of effortless piss poor play?
Not questioning your fandom, questioning your memory if you think last night was anywhere close to the worse loss you can remember. How about being the #2 seed in the NCAA tournament and getting bounced in the second round to an 7th seed in 1985? How about in 2008 losing to William and Mary in the semi finals of the CAA tournament after cheering for them to beat ODU so that we could play them? Then there's the JMU senior night game in 2011. The "van around Richmond" game in 2003 against UNCW. The CAA championship game against UNCW in 2002 at the Coliseum. In fact, just about any game against UNCW in the early 2000s. There's the NIT game against Davidson at the Stu in 2005 where McKillop's team put on a clinic against us that looked like a layup line. Then I remember (I think in '84) playing a non-competitive game against Syracuse and Pearl Washington in the NCAAs.

I can go on and on.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
The last three home losses of 2011 come to mind. Don’t forget the Brian Johnson hack on Maynor in 2008. Or the JMU home loss in 2005 or the Drexel - Bashir Mason 40 foot heave in 2005.

This loss sucked. There is zero question about that. This loss will DEFINITELY affect our resume whether we make the tournament or not. But I feel like some of y’all just experienced your first bad loss as a VCU fan.
Yep. Actually that was Brian Henderson. I saw him at a car wash once and was dying to ask if he hacked Maynor. Brandon Johnson was the kid running around the Stu pointing to the "ODU" on his jersey after the play happened.

There was another loss to JMU (I think in the 2009-10 season) in Harrisonburg when Dean Keaner got on the mic at the end of the game and essentially announced to their fans the arrival of JMU basketball because they beat us. Of course they proceeded to be horrible...again...that season. Then there was a game at William and Mary during Mack's tenure when someone got ejected for kicking the basketball.

Nov 20, 2009
Coach speak is getting old. I'd be throwing poop around and cursing up a storm. Several players should be benched and some should be suspended. I've been watching VCU basketball for a long time and this was the worst game that I can remember. Not only ruined the season, but set back the program big time.
Some players should be suspended? Are you suggesting that some stuff has happened the public doesn’t know about?

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Well, the bill came due tonight. You could feel the potential for this all year long with the inconsistency of effort and focus, mostly by the seniors IMO. They've been able to save themselves all year, for the most part, but tonight proved they're not good enough to turn it on and off at will. Not sure why a senior laden team isn't laser focused on having their last year be the best possible. I'm afraid some of these guys think they're better than they are.
I blame the positive vibes VCU fan site on FB................. : )

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Coach speak is getting old. I'd be throwing poop around and cursing up a storm. Several players should be benched and some should be suspended. I've been watching VCU basketball for a long time and this was the worst game that I can remember. Not only ruined the season, but set back the program big time.
Suspended for what exactly?

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I blame the positive vibes VCU fan site on FB................. : )
LOL I’m sure as heck there’s a few posts on there that mention how proud they are of VCUs effort lasts night.

I for one am always proud to be a VCU fan. Even in bad losses like last night, I’m never embarrassed to be a VCU fan. But, the first 35 minutes of lasts nights game was NOTHING to be proud of in terms of effort. I love our guys, but if you want to be an NCAA team, you can’t play like that.

Last edited:

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
LOL I’m sure as heck there’s a few posts on there that mention how proud they are of VCUs effort lasts night.

I for one am I always proud to be a VCU fan. Even in bad losses last night, I’m never embarrassed to be a VCU fan. But, the first 35 minutes of lasts nights game was NOTHING to be proud of in terms of effort.
You heartless, back stabbing, b*s#&rd !!!!

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
It's the morning after a horrendous performance and an awful loss, and I have to say, it doesn't look any better. No way to sugar coat this one folks. This was a very damaging loss for the Rams. I simply don't see them beating Dayton, and probably not UR either. Looks like 10 or more losses this year, which is far more than I anticipated.

Reactions: northernvatiger