The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
It's the morning after a horrendous performance and an awful loss, and I have to say, it doesn't look any better. No way to sugar coat this one folks. This was a very damaging loss for the Rams. I simply don't see them beating Dayton, and probably not UR either. Looks like 10 or more losses this year, which is far more than I anticipated.
In hind sight, it appears the preseason predictions for 2018 - 19 were correct. However they were made just 1 season too early. I could see us limping home in sole possession of 7th place. And people were saying “we’re too good for this league” 😂

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Some players should be suspended? Are you suggesting that some stuff has happened the public doesn’t know about?
No, he's suffering from "Bobby Knight-istis." He one of those folks who think throwing tantrums. overreacting, and being an a-hole yields results.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Man I wish we were playing GW and Fordham in the next couple of games instead of UR on the road and Dayton. MR needs to implement some changes but I'm not sure these are the games to do it.

Reactions: RamStrut

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
It’s unfortunate that there really has been zero progression throughout the year. We keep waiting for that breakout game where it all clicks but that hasn’t happened. We are who we are and that’s not a good sound basketball team.

Feb 16, 2017
The last three home losses of 2011 come to mind. Don’t forget the Brian Johnson hack on Maynor in 2008. Or the JMU home loss in 2005 or the Drexel - Bashir Mason 40 foot heave in 2005.

This loss sucked. There is zero question about that. This loss will DEFINITELY affect our resume whether we make the tournament or not. But I feel like some of y’all just experienced your first bad loss as a VCU fan.
One loss does not a program make, I agree.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Not questioning your fandom, questioning your memory if you think last night was anywhere close to the worse loss you can remember. How about being the #2 seed in the NCAA tournament and getting bounced in the second round to an 7th seed in 1985? How about in 2008 losing to William and Mary in the semi finals of the CAA tournament after cheering for them to beat ODU so that we could play them? Then there's the JMU senior night game in 2011. The "van around Richmond" game in 2003 against UNCW. The CAA championship game against UNCW in 2002 at the Coliseum. In fact, just about any game against UNCW in the early 2000s. There's the NIT game against Davidson at the Stu in 2005 where McKillop's team put on a clinic against us that looked like a layup line. Then I remember (I think in '84) playing a non-competitive game against Syracuse and Pearl Washington in the NCAAs.

I can go on and on.
Losing to W&M in the 2008 CAA tournament is the exact reason that I hate to say black and gold fans rooting for higher seeds in the A10 tournament to lose.

I root for Jeff Capel, but that 30-5 start against UNCW ruined my mom's birthday at the Siegel Center. Does someone have access to the audio of that presser?

Reactions: RamStrut

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Yep. Actually that was Brian Henderson. I saw him at a car wash once and was dying to ask if he hacked Maynor. Brandon Johnson was the kid running around the Stu pointing to the "ODU" on his jersey after the play happened.

There was another loss to JMU (I think in the 2009-10 season) in Harrisonburg when Dean Keaner got on the mic at the end of the game and essentially announced to their fans the arrival of JMU basketball because they beat us. Of course they proceeded to be horrible...again...that season. Then there was a game at William and Mary during Mack's tenure when someone got ejected for kicking the basketball.
Chill, my bad I mixed up the two ODU players. Henderson was the one who hit the big threes late, and Johnson is the one who "stripped" Maynor at the end.

I think the JMU game you are talking about was the 2008 loss at JMU where Juwaan James (who played at JMU for like 9 years) hit a layup to beat us at the buzzer.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Chill, my bad I mixed up the two ODU players. Henderson was the one who hit the big threes late, and Johnson is the one who "stripped" Maynor at the end.

I think the JMU game you are talking about was the 2008 loss at JMU where Juwaan James (who played at JMU for like 9 years) hit a layup to beat us at the buzzer.
No, I'm 100% certain Henderson stripped him. In fact, I have it on my youtube channel:
Fast forward to about 1:56. Johnson was guarding him but Henderson made the "absolutely impossible to execute without fouling" strip from behind.

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
Out rebounded by 19!!! Poor technique and effort on the boards...that’s coaching basics and letting someone out hustle you...
Not VCU basketball.
21! They had 21 more rebounds! SMH.

They type of basketball MR has got these kids playing is sloppy, lazy at times and undisciplined. This team needs a giant dose of fundamentals.

And by lazy I mean kids aren't doing the small things that win you games. They let cutters run through the lane untouched. They aren't ball faking on post entry passes and they are getting stolen or knocked away. Boxing out is a simple measure of your will. The ball goes up... you turn around and find a body to put you butt on. These kids just look up at the ball and try and out jump the other team. This leads to the bs we saw last night.

You see it all the time... kids with immense talent at the D1 level, but had never been taught the fundamentals of basketball. They were always better than everyone growing up and their raw talent made up for their lack of fundamentals.

However, when you reach the D1 level where EVERYONE is talented... the fundamentals and discipline on the court is what makes a good player and good team great... and what makes a talent laden team - average.

Unfortunately that's what we are seeing with this team.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Man I wish we were playing GW and Fordham in the next couple of games instead of UR on the road and Dayton. MR needs to implement some changes but I'm not sure these are the games to do it.
This team is 24 games into the season. If they haven't figured it out by now, then shame on the coaching staff and the team. One of the most disappointing seasons for VCU in a very long time, considering the pre-season hype and the senior laden talent on this team. This team can't get out of their own way. The talent is there, but the mental aspect is far from being there. This team does not have the mental fortitude to put together a 4 game winning streak in Brooklyn. Right now, this team is playing for an invitation to the NIT, and the next two games will determine if that even happens.

This is one totally frustrated fan after last night. Thank goodness it's baseball season!