The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Let's just try it. What do we have to lose at this point? We need to pretty much win out to make the tournament and Evans will be gone soon. Let's get bones some more burn as he's going to be the future.
We have tried it Bones has at least one start this year. Bones is getting burn but we cannot sacrifice the present for the future.

Bones will be an All League guy. Maybe even the next great Ram. However, right now he is solid as a 6-7 man who gets 20 plus minutes. Fwiw, on this team those are starters minutes. Also, Bones has a flaw and that is his tunnel vision and his desire to hunt his own shot. Once he fixes those he will be a baller. Right now he is a spark when we need it.

Start or not his minutes are fine.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Not disagreeing with your point about him being a spark off the bench, but I think the offense just runs better with him at point. Marcus dribbles around and dribbles into trouble pretty often and can’t jump any more to create a shot, but Hyland seems to keep things moving. Granted, Evans is way better defensively.
I dont see it that way. I think Bones is still living the HS superstar dream of being the man and doesnt distribute unselfishly. Look when hot he can shoot it but he looks for that shot and many times, even when he hits it, its not in the flow of the offense.

I would only switch out Bones for ME if ME is actually hurting.

MarsAlienRam

Top Member
Nov 20, 2016
You want to know something else that didn’t help us last night? As we were going on our final run half the Stu was getting up to leave. Chill people - leaving 5 minutes early won’t help you beat the traffic. Yes we didn’t play well and the refs were bad, but the fans were giving up before the game was even over.

Reactions: mrgeode

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
We have tried it Bones has at least one start this year. Bones is getting burn but we cannot sacrifice the present for the future.

Bones will be an All League guy. Maybe even the next great Ram. However, right now he is solid as a 6-7 man who gets 20 plus minutes. Fwiw, on this team those are starters minutes. Also, Bones has a flaw and that is his tunnel vision and his desire to hunt his own shot. Once he fixes those he will be a baller. Right now he is a spark when we need it.

The one game he started was none other than at George Mason and that game had a way different outcome. I'm not saying we win by 15 last night simply starting bones over evans but as I said earlier it's criminal to continue to start evans over bones. Bones has way more upside at this point.

Reactions: MarylandRamFan

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
That's why I think we need to make some changes. Maybe have a quick hook if it doesn't work, but Evans and Vann need to come off the bench. I also wouldn't mind trying Ward instead of Douglas.

Go with Bones, Curry, DJ, MSS, Ward or Williams. If nothing else I would imagine we start the game with some energy. Give it a couple minutes and if it doesn't work go back to Vann and Evans. You may have the dual affect of maybe lighting a fire under those two. Who knows?
I hear you, but if Vann hasn't been benched at all up untill now for poor play, then Coach Rhoades isn't going to bench him going forward. For me that has been the biggest head scratcher on this team all season.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
You want to know something else that didn’t help us last night? As we were going on our final run half the Stu was getting up to leave. Chill people - leaving 5 minutes early won’t help you beat the traffic. Yes we didn’t play well and the refs were bad, but the fans were giving up before the game was even over.
The fans don't play the game. Blaming the fans for the poor play of the team is weak. There are 5 seniors on this team.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Frankly, I think he is being told to shoot whenever open—other than DJ and Curry (on the drive), no one else has been remotely reliable lately.

He showed great vision early on, i think the more he plays the better we are....will probably have to play more half court defense and make some other changes, like more Vince for defense and junkyard stuff.

overall, i would like to see us put 2-3 scorers on the floor with committed role players supporting them over this “everyone gets to shoot when they feel like it” approach. If we did that, Bones has to play!

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
Of course I was as disappointed with the team effort as many of you but here are my thoughts going forward. DJ is playing at a very high level on both the offensive and defensive side. Vince looked very close to where I thought he would be this year before his injuries. He lead the team in energy in the second half. Vann looked great at times and other times . . . ME did not have anything close to his movement in the last two games and looks to be unable to lift off his left leg (that is a huge problem). Douglas plays better coming off the bench than he does starting. Why? Who knows. We need help rebounding if MSS is going to trap at the top of the key. When he recovers he was boxed out all night. Bones is a great FRESHMAN player. I think MR was looking for different combinations to shake them out of the slumber but until the last five minutes he found nothing that worked.

Beat Richmond. Somehow control their guards who played like crap at the Stu but play way better at home (Frances is back and Sherod will not disappear twice in the same year against us)How do you do that if ME is at 60%? Someone has to step up to that challenge (Crow, Curry, a freshman? I am assuming MR cannot suit up and play defense himself). MSS has to do a much better job matching up with their big man. Clearly, we need to limit them to one shot while still bothering them with pressure. No easy trick for a rather small team, but getting every 50/50 ball has to be a priority. Get the entire team on the same page (Which would be a different one from last night). MATCH their energy level at home!!! Contrary to what many of you are saying, I feel we are at the point where I have to quote the famous Yogi- “It ain’t over till it’s over.” An eternal optimist, GO RAMS!!!! We need a 100% effort.

MarsAlienRam

Top Member
Nov 20, 2016
The fans don't play the game. Blaming the fans for the poor play of the team is weak. There are 5 seniors on this team.
Never said the fans play the game. But when you are trying to build momentum and get the fans into it, yet half the stadium is leaving, you can’t tell me that doesn’t have an impact.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Never said the fans play the game. But when you are trying to build momentum and get the fans into it, yet half the stadium is leaving, you can’t tell me that doesn’t have an impact.
If the players are checking out how many fans are leaving early for halftime, then they are not focused on the game at hand. These players have zero reason to be concerned about a fan base that has sold out the arena 145+ times. Just play the game.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
If the players are checking out how many fans are leaving early for halftime, then they are not focused on the game at hand. These players have zero reason to be concerned about a fan base that has sold out the arena 145+ times. Just play the game.
not to mention there was no "mass exodus" until the game was actually over at the 1 second mark. There were still plenty of people there and the arena was full on loud those last couple minutes so yeah, makes zero sense to try to pin anything on the fans. the team woke up way too late. we should have been cutting the lead to 5-6 at the 4 minute mark not the 90 second mark.