The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Probably worse than Towson, one year Grant lost to Hampton.
I was trying to think of the last time we had a similarly bad loss, against a bottom feeder in our league. In Will's 1st year, we lost at both UMass and at Mason. Both were midweek February games while we were fighting for the conference's top seed. That season, UMass finished 10th at 6-12 and Mason finished 12th at 5-13.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Did he win?
Good question.

So this was February 2008 so ODU had recently announced football starting in the fall of 2009. As we walked out of The Stu a 20 something year old ODU fan was chanting "We got football" and my dad said, "They're gonna suck anyway" and they got in each others faces before my dad pushed the ODU fan against the brick outside of the Siegel Center. My dad pushed him hard as sh1t against the brick and the guy hit his head. The cops came over and asked a few questions to both people, but another fight broke out on the sidewalk and my dad and the ODU fan said f/ck it and left.

Neither side won the battle, but the ODU fan definitely had more scars on his body.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I was trying to think of the last time we had a similarly bad loss, against a bottom feeder in our league. In Will's 1st year, we lost at both UMass and at Mason. Both were midweek February games while we were fighting for the conference's top seed. That season, UMass finished 10th at 6-12 and Mason finished 12th at 5-13.
Those were both really bad. The road win at Saint Joseph's in January is the win that carried the most weight that year. The road win at GW in late February is what kept us in the field, especially after losing to them at home.

Reactions: mrgeode

MarsAlienRam

Top Member
Nov 20, 2016
not to mention there was no "mass exodus" until the game was actually over at the 1 second mark. There were still plenty of people there and the arena was full on loud those last couple minutes so yeah, makes zero sense to try to pin anything on the fans. the team woke up way too late. we should have been cutting the lead to 5-6 at the 4 minute mark not the 90 second mark.
We must of been at very different games then. The Animal is dead. I have attended every home game since the Stu opened except for a handful a few years ago when I was battling cancer as a result of my time overseas. I’ve seen the ups and downs. You have no right to tell me that I can’t blame it on the fans - I know what I am talking about because I’ve been here since the beginning. The Stu is full of bandwagon wannabes. You think leaving fans has no effect on the team? It is demoralizing for the young guys, even if they are not watching, they know.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
We must of been at very different games then. The Animal is dead. I have attended every home game since the Stu opened except for a handful a few years ago when I was battling cancer as a result of my time overseas. I’ve seen the ups and downs. You have no right to tell me that I can’t blame it on the fans - I know what I am talking about because I’ve been here since the beginning. The Stu is full of bandwagon wannabes. You think leaving fans has no effect on the team? It is demoralizing for the young guys, even if they are not watching, they know.
Looked pretty full when we getting out rebounded by 100. But I must admit....I didn’t get a single rebound.;)

If you going to judge the fans on the mason debacle...how’d they do in the game we ran ur off the court

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
you cant blame it on the fans. the arena was loud at the end of game. if you dont think it was loud enough then you can raise your voice a little next time and show all those "bandwagon wannabes" how its done 🤣

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I hear you, but if Vann hasn't been benched at all up untill now for poor play, then Coach Rhoades isn't going to bench him going forward. For me that has been the biggest head scratcher on this team all season.
My only explanation is MR knows his players better than we do and maybe he knows benching Vann will cause him to totally lose him mentally for the rest of the season? Some guys use it as motivation, some guy use it as an excuse to pack it in completely.

Nov 20, 2009
Bones should not start he should continue to be a spark off the bench. He makes deep 3's and you love it. However, he also has tunnel vision, and he hunts his own shot too much.

Unless Evans cannot go Bones should continue the position he has been playing.

Everyone loves the backup until he is the starter.
And Evans, when he was healthy, didn’t hunt his shot...while shooting a fair amount lower percentage than Bones? Just saying.

May 19, 2015
There has definitely been a change in MSS' energy for the past several games. Now that someone has mentioned that his uncle has tweeted a few messages that expressed disappointment in the coach and staff, this could potentially be putting pressure on MSS. MSS was always so animated when playing. He had energy and with every basket he made, he let you know it. I realize he has struggled a bit lately but it could be about the behind the scene issues going on with his uncle. I hope someone is helping MSS through whatever he is struggling with to ensure he gets through it for his sake, forget everything else.

Reactions: ssvcu90

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
There has definitely been a change in MSS' energy for the past several games. Now that someone has mentioned that his uncle has tweeted a few messages that expressed disappointment in the coach and staff, this could potentially be putting pressure on MSS. MSS was always so animated when playing. He had energy and with every basket he made, he let you know it. I realize he has struggled a bit lately but it could be about the behind the scene issues going on with his uncle. I hope someone is helping MSS through whatever he is struggling with to ensure he gets through it for his sake, forget everything else.
Not knowing what the deal is, it is starting to sound like we're a pretty fragile team emotionally.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Bones should not start he should continue to be a spark off the bench. He makes deep 3's and you love it. However, he also has tunnel vision, and he hunts his own shot too much.

Unless Evans cannot go Bones should continue the position he has been playing.

Everyone loves the backup until he is the starter.
I think Hyland should start. He's probably the future of the team; show confidence in him. The kid has a nice shot, which is more than I can say for the rest of the team. Based on what I've seen, Evans is often out of control. Driving the basket and throwing up some wild shot, or turning the ball over. Usually at the most inopportune time.

Reactions: connell

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
We have tried it Bones has at least one start this year. Bones is getting burn but we cannot sacrifice the present for the future.

Bones will be an All League guy. Maybe even the next great Ram. However, right now he is solid as a 6-7 man who gets 20 plus minutes. Fwiw, on this team those are starters minutes. Also, Bones has a flaw and that is his tunnel vision and his desire to hunt his own shot. Once he fixes those he will be a baller. Right now he is a spark when we need it.

Start or not his minutes are fine.
I'm absolutely fine with him hunting his shot. He's making a lot of them. Fur is going to come after him and he's a really good passer. I say he gets 4 of em this game.

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
My only explanation is MR knows his players better than we do and maybe he knows benching Vann will cause him to totally lose him mentally for the rest of the season? Some guys use it as motivation, some guy use it as an excuse to pack it in completely.
Yes, if that's the case isn't IV ki d of holdi g the team hostage if that mentality is true?

Reactions: VCU85 and connell