The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

Mar 1, 2015
There has definitely been a change in MSS' energy for the past several games. Now that someone has mentioned that his uncle has tweeted a few messages that expressed disappointment in the coach and staff, this could potentially be putting pressure on MSS. MSS was always so animated when playing. He had energy and with every basket he made, he let you know it. I realize he has struggled a bit lately but it could be about the behind the scene issues going on with his uncle. I hope someone is helping MSS through whatever he is struggling with to ensure he gets through it for his sake, forget everything else.
The uncle has been ripping MR and the staff for 3 years. If anything has changed with Silva, it’s likely something HE has a problem with. Could be nothing, could be anything. There are plenty of reasons for him to be frustrated. He doesn’t get any help inside, most players can’t get him the ball, there is little organization or purpose to the offense. It’s crap, and the staff doesn’t seem to have the ability to address it.

He is the hardest worker on the team, the most mentally tough, and really the only player who has made any significant improvements in 3 years. Everyone else has remained basically the same or regressed. If he's pulling back, that is a major red flag.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
The uncle has been ripping MR and the staff for 3 years. If anything has changed with Silva, it’s likely something HE has a problem with. Could be nothing, could be anything. There are plenty of reasons for him to be frustrated. He doesn’t get any help inside, most players can’t get him the ball, there is little organization or purpose to the offense. It’s crap, and the staff doesn’t seem to have the ability to address it.

He is the hardest worker on the team, the most mentally tough, and really the only player who has made any significant improvements in 3 years. Everyone else has remained basically the same or regressed. If he's pulling back, that is a major red flag.
My impression is MSS is a student of the game, and is always looking to fine tune his game. If the players around him aren't doing the same he may be frustrated by that. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrA10 and connell
Feb 8, 2019
My impression is MSS is a student of the game, and is always looking to fine tune his game. If they players around

Perhaps if he shot the ball instead of pushing it at the basket he would make a lot of the recently missed layups. 3-9 foul shooting does not help much either. Maybe the reason for his (could be nothing,could be anything ) problems.

May 19, 2015

I agree on all of your points. I am very worried!

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I'm absolutely fine with him hunting his shot. He's making a lot of them. Fur is going to come after him and he's a really good passer. I say he gets 4 of em this game.
And it not like we have a guy playing like he's all league playing in front of him. So what exactly are we missing out on starting Bones and increasing his minutes? I don't think we're sacrificing anything (present or future) making the transition now.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
And it not like we have a guy playing like he's all league playing in front of him. So what exactly are we missing out on starting Bones and increasing his minutes? I don't think we're sacrificing anything (present or future) making the transition now.
I understood from MR's last Coach's Show, he said Bones became too fatigued, and he was playing him as many minutes as he could due to that. 🤷‍♀️

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Mostly agree on the positive points you make about work ethic and improvement. He would help himself and the team tremendously to have a little range outside of five feet and to hit free throws with some consistency (even if 60%). It really isn’t too much to ask a starting Y3 big to have a couple reliable mid range spots, be it on the baseline or sides of the lane. That would make him a whole lot more difficult to defend and open up the offense for cutters. Right now, he is a two trick pony— either settles in on the block or steps out top for the high pick and roll. In quick sets, he is money—but once defenses are set, he is an easy mark by less talented players who just push him outside of five feet and box him out.

Think about it—one or two reliable mid range spots would open him up for pick & pops, which would then force the defenders to hedge more. Plus it would take advantage of his one physical advantage, his agility to move around—thus moving defending bigs off the block and opening the lane for cutters. Often our drivers are stymied by his man—because they have no reason to leave the lane.

To be clear, not saying he is “the problem”, but our offense might look a lot less cluttered if we could move our bigs more and the defense had to play honest.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I understood from MR's last Coach's Show, he said Bones became too fatigued, and he was playing him as many minutes as he could due to that. 🤷‍♀️
That is shocking. Or it could be a very convenient excuse to ride or die with the guy who has been with him almost his entire coaching career at Rice and VCU.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
That is shocking. Or it could be a very convenient excuse to ride or die with the guy who has been with him almost his entire coaching career at Rice and VCU.
MR actually said that as a little fatigue sets in, he tends to struggle a little more defensively- staying in front of his man. It was more a point about his current physical strength, as MR went on the explain that it is normal if you are relying on legs/quickness, but as he gets physically stronger—he’ll be better able to work through it via better physicality.

Reactions: SWV

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
MR actually said that as a little fatigue sets in, he tends to struggle a little more defensively- staying in front of his man. It was more a point about his current physical strength, as MR went on the explain that it is normal if you are relying on legs/quickness, but as he gets physically stronger—he’ll be better able to work through it via better physicality.
As with furniture, I guess they don't make freshman like they used to:

Freshman minutes
Nick George - 29 mpg
Brad Burgess - 29 mpg
BA Walker - 25+ mpg
J Rod - 25 mpg
JPR - 24 mpg

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I remember Joey Rodriguez’s freshman year. He played very well up to the month of February and thereafter his playing effectiveness diminished noticeably. Anthony Grant addressed this at the time and said freshman often hit a wall in the latter part of the season. Not making excuses for Bones, but we have seen this in other freshmen as well.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
As with furniture, I guess they don't make freshman like they used to:

Freshman minutes
Nick George - 29 mpg
Brad Burgess - 29 mpg
BA Walker - 25+ mpg
J Rod - 25 mpg
JPR - 24 mpg
Everyone on that list outweighed Bones by 20 pounds or more other than Joey, and Bones is six inches taller even if he's actually 6'3"

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Everyone on that list outweighed Bones by 20 pounds or more other than Joey, and Bones is six inches taller even if he's actually 6'3"
And...?

I would counter that Burgess, George and JPR took more of a pounding with their style of play than Bones who primarily operates on the perimeter at this stage of his career.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I remember Joey Rodriguez’s freshman year. He played very well up to the month of February and thereafter his playing effectiveness diminished noticeably. Anthony Grant addressed this at the time and said freshman often hit a wall in the latter part of the season. Not making excuses for Bones, but we have seen this in other freshmen as well.
Freshman wall is definitely a real thing. But a freshman like Nick George who was playing heavy minutes from day one should be more susceptible to it than Bones who's minutes have been gradually increased as the season progressed.

May 4, 2012
Let's not start questioning fandom or length of service here. Let's just say I remember the Metro and Sunbelt days.
We could probably have a good debate about many bad games, but this one will sting as much as any of them.
What other season did we expect so much, then see it all end due 40 minutes of effortless piss poor play?
If it costs us an ncaa bid, it is demonstrably worse. Thats two misses in three seasons and a bad look in the one we got.
That registers with prospects as a shift in our fortunes.