The Official Beat the GooMoos (Again) in the Animal Thread

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
And...?

I would counter that Burgess, George and JPR took more of a pounding with their style of play than Bones who primarily operates on the perimeter at this stage of his career.
I just mean the 165lb guy isn't as strong as freakin' Jesse Pellot Rosa or Brad Burgess. It makes sense he might wear out more, which is what MR was talking about. He'll get stronger as he gets older and that should help with his defense when fatigued.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I just mean the 165lb guy isn't as strong as freakin' Jesse Pellot Rosa or Brad Burgess. It makes sense he might wear out more, which is what MR was talking about. He'll get stronger as he gets older and that should help with his defense when fatigued.
There are a ton of factors beyond weight and strength. Bone's current style of play should be way less taxing on the body then JPR or Brad or Nick. Heck, George was our second leading rebounder as a freshman. And if it's a wind issue, geez, an 18 year old as light as he is getting winded like what is being described is...interesting. He can't be much more frail or lacking in strength then Steph Curry as a freshman and he played 30+ minutes per game.

Reactions: 757RamFan

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
As with furniture, I guess they don't make freshman like they used to:

Freshman minutes
Nick George - 29 mpg
Brad Burgess - 29 mpg
BA Walker - 25+ mpg
J Rod - 25 mpg
JPR - 24 mpg

To be clear, not advocating one way or the other, just providing the full comment that MR made in his presser. I think one thing we can agree on with respect to Bones, is the nickname is accurate and he’ll benefit from an offseason diet and workout plan. Nick, Brad and JPR came in with the bodies of men....so not surprised with there ability to hang.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
There are a ton of factors beyond weight and strength. Bone's current style of play should be way less taxing on the body then JPR or Brad or Nick. Heck, George was our second leading rebounder as a freshman. And if it's a wind issue, geez, an 18 year old as light as he is getting winded like what is being described is...interesting. He can't be much more frail or lacking in strength then Steph Curry as a freshman and he played 30+ minutes per game.

The point is that physical strength can often be plan B to relying on quicks alone in terms of defense. Sometimes a little body up or a subtle forearm to hold off a defender can make it more difficult on the ball handler—really, the best case is a mixture of the two from the outset. Also, consider that for most of the examples provided, there really was no other choice.

And the Curry example is a red herring, the only D he has ever been known for, is the D in Davidson.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
The point is that physical strength can often be plan B to relying on quicks alone in terms of defense. Sometimes a little body up or a subtle forearm to hold off a defender can make it more difficult on the ball handler—really, the best case is a mixture of the two from the outset. Also, consider that for most of the examples provided, there really was no other choice.

And the Curry example is a red herring, the only D he has ever been known for, is the D in Davidson.
There are a ton of examples of skinny, not very strong freshman who played major minutes besides Curry.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Dude, I am President of the play Bones 40 minutes fan club....i’ll take a few lapses on defense as long as they are outnumbered by net burner bombs and “oh my” dimes. Was just reporting the news.
And throw McAllister in there and if he doesn’t get 5 rebounds he better have 5 fouls...need some attitude on the boards...the ball ain’t going to bounce to you...you need to go get it

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Dude, I am President of the play Bones 40 minutes fan club....i’ll take a few lapses on defense as long as they are outnumbered by net burner bombs and “oh my” dimes. Was just reporting the news.
I know. Just having trouble with MR's explanation of why he can't more minutes. I assume it's true, just having trouble buying it.

Reactions: PRock and connell

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
I think Bones also started against the Bonnies. IMO that was our best first half of the season. We're still capable of doing that again if Bones starts.